PDA

View Full Version : Theory book ( bluegrass related)

Kbone
Dec-20-2005, 9:01am
There was a book put out by a poster, I think he was from Virginia and a teacher. I think his line was : " this is a book that has all my years of teaching bluegrass mandolin, etc..etc.. I though ' Elderly ' carried it but could not find it - help please..

mando bandage
Dec-20-2005, 9:15am
Sounds like Niles Hokkanen's "Bluegrass Up the Neck" to me. Just got it for my birthday (sister bought it from Elderly) and so far I am very impressed.

R

Kbone
Dec-20-2005, 10:54am
No,(NH) that's not it- others ?

Tim
Dec-20-2005, 11:48am
Music Theory for Modern Mandolin - By Thomas P. Ohmsem is written by someone who lived in Virginia (at least for a while) and was availabe through Elderly. #Not sure if that is what you wanted??

MDW
Dec-20-2005, 11:58am
I think you're talking about Mandolin Master Class and Mandolin Training Camp by Brad Laird. I have both and like his approach. Very common sense, useable, and geared towards bluegrass pickers. Both available at Elderly or directly from Brad (sorry don't have his website handy).

Mark

AW Meyer
Dec-20-2005, 12:40pm
Yes, I'll second the Brad Laird books. I have Mandolin Master Class and I think it's a great book. He teaches , concepts, not note-for note memorization of tunes and licks.

gnelson651
Dec-20-2005, 1:50pm
You can find Brad at MandoUniversity (http://www.mandouniversity.com/).

I have both his books and learn something new every time I reread them.

I also enjoy his free monthly newsletter. You can subscribe at his website.

ronlane3
Dec-20-2005, 2:03pm
I'm another satisfied owner of Brad's books. The books are helping me a lot, and I'm sure that if I would PRACTICE the exercises everyday for an hour, I would be a pretty good mandolin player by now.

Kbone
Dec-20-2005, 6:23pm
No,none of the above, I did a search at Elderly and came up empty, I know they used to carry it. There was a joke about the cover when it came out, also the pic of the author had long hair.

fiddle5
Dec-20-2005, 7:02pm
I don't know what book either, but theory is theory. Regardless of what method book it comes out of, or what instrument. It applies evenly to all of them. I have many method and theory books for different instruments, they all say the same thing, though some are better at it than others.

mike

gnelson651
Dec-20-2005, 8:36pm
If you look at the cover of "Mandolin Master Class" it has a picture of a giant with a mandolin #coming out of the sea. And on the inside cver Brad has long hair.

Kbone
Dec-20-2005, 11:39pm
You're right ! it's the " Mandolin Master Class" thanks all..

dochardee
Dec-26-2005, 1:33am
"Mandolin Master Class" is great. Combine it with Laird's other book "Mandolin Training Camp", and "Bluegrass up the Neck" by Niles Hokkanen for the big picture of how the pro's get around the neck. Then get Thomas Ohmsen's book on music theory for mandolin, and you are pretty much done with books. I have a stack of instruction books I DON'T use, but those four are the real keepers I've found. Elderly tries to carry every method book, check out their website.

Kbone
Dec-26-2005, 11:26am
thanks doch....