PDA

View Full Version : My Gibson repair experience

Frank Russell
Dec-14-2005, 5:49pm
Well, I waited a few weeks of hard playing and close inspection since I got my mandolin back from Big Joe's crew before posting, because I wanted to be fair and as objective as possible. A few months ago, I sent my excellent F5G wideneck with the block inlays in to Gibson to have them put a radius on it, as that's what I've come to prefer. Several luthiers had turned down the job due to the chance of ruining/replacing the inlays if they used the existing fretboard, or because it was just too time-consuming to make a new one like it. Big Joe responded with "we can surely do this." Here's the negatives and the positives of what followed:

Minus side - Mandolin gone for a few weeks longer than expected. Cost was a big hit for a teacher - $500 plus shipping. I would have liked to have seen it packed on its return with a bit more padding, though other than a broken endpin, it was absolutely unharmed in transit, so this may be nitpicking. When I ship a mando, I pad the headstock and around the bridge, etc... Packing was a bit spartan.

Plus side - Best money I've ever spent on a repair or work of any kind. This mando was pretty great to begin with, but now it's absolutely a stunner to play and listen to. Plays every bit as smooth as any Bush model I've tried, which is what I was looking for. The work was done with high attention to detail, I believe by Jackie Miller. I was called by Mr. Miller, unsolicited, to ask which kind of frets I would prefer, which I appreciated, since I hadn't been specific, and assumed they would just throw whatever they pleased on there. Everyone I dealt with was more than courteous, and my instructions were followed to the letter. Even some of my negatives ended up being pretty mild. The cost, although large for my budget, was estimated honestly up front by Big Joe, including worst-case scenarios, and there were no last-minute add-ons or surprises. I certainly would have paid more than $500 if I had traded up towards a Bush model, which was where I was headed. This F5G has become such a dream to play that I find myself playing and practicing much more than I had been in months previous, which is a good thing. My thanks to the good folks at Gibson for their fine work, and for leaving me with very very little to gripe about. Frank

glauber
Dec-14-2005, 6:04pm
The cost seems OK to me, considering all that was done. The tranportation damage (broken endpin) is not acceptable, IMHO.

GTison
Dec-14-2005, 6:23pm
...should have pulled that endpin, but I get the feeling you had a good experience. Gibson charges over 400 to refret alone so getting a radius change in the fingerboard is not a great leap. Glad you posted, as I have been considering a refret. Congrats.

Nolan
Dec-14-2005, 7:41pm
Sounds like you got a great deal! #
Any change in the sound of your chop? #What about overall tone?

I wonder if someone else had put the radius on it if it would have voided the warranty?

Jasper
Dec-14-2005, 8:38pm
Last spring I took a 1941 Gibson A-50 that I received in trade to Gibson for a refret. Dave Harvey did the work with wonderful results. In the end I got a new bridge and pickguard. The mandolin plays wonderfully, and for about a month or 6 weeks this past summer, this A-50 was my only playable mandolin for church and such. I am glad to hear you as such a good experience, as did I, and that you took the time to post.

johnnymando
Dec-15-2005, 5:25pm
Just had a fret dress and the finish removed from the neck of my Bush.Gibson was fast and did a great job.They also touched up a couple of chips and smoothed the edges of the nut at no cost.The action was lower than I like,but I can handle that on my own.
I'd send it back again.
Gibsons not the cheapest out there,but they are huge on customer service.

Frank Russell
Dec-15-2005, 8:46pm
Sorry Nolan, I wrote a reply to your question, and must have forgot to push the button. No, my chop seems completely intact. If anything, the increased playability has made chopping and single note tone better. That's pretty subjective, though. This thing was no dog before the radius/refret. I love the slightly wider neck of the Bush model, and this seemed like the poor man's solution to Bush MAS, as well as avoiding divorce court. I know some more severe radiusing can cause my chop to woof a little less, since I'm not making contact with as many strings, but this one is pretty slight, just enough to improve my comfort level 100%. I'm real pleased. Frank

pickinNgrinnin
Dec-15-2005, 10:29pm
Sounds like a great ax Frank. You'd better keep this one http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif