PDA

View Full Version : Quick trip to Nashville after Christmas

tree
Dec-13-2005, 4:27pm
My family will travel to Nashville the Wednesday after Christmas and stay 2 nights, just for the heck of it, 'cause we've never been there and school is out. ##

My list of must-do's is pretty short: spend a couple hours at Cotten Music, and go to the Country Music Hall of Fame to see The Mandolin and Mother Maybelle's guitar. #If there is time, I'd also like to pop in Gruhn's and maybe ride by the Ryman. #But I am only one of 4 who will all have differing agendas . . . my boys are 10 years old and totally into the "hat music" scene (yeah, but it could be a lot worse). I'd like to catch some good live music, with them along (a smoke-free environment would be a bonus, too).

Anybody have any recommendations for places or things I should check into?

Jshankle
Dec-13-2005, 4:33pm
Hello Tree -

Why don't you swing by this little place:
http://www.stationinn.com/cal1.cfm

.. the lineup looks pretty good around your visit...

f5loar
Dec-13-2005, 4:45pm
What no visit to the Opry Mills Mall? You get to pick on 1000's of Gibson mandolins while the others shop till they drop! I believe Station Inn is smoke free now and has family in there lots of time. Worth a night for sure!

Spruce
Dec-13-2005, 4:59pm
If you take the tour of the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum, make sure you tag on the off-site tour of RCA Studio B (http://www.countrymusichalloffame.com/about/studio_b.html)...

They'll bus you over to the studio and show you how records used to be made....

Great tour....

Eric F.
Dec-13-2005, 5:06pm
Cotten Music is great, but if you want a broad selection of mandos, you'll probably do better at Gruhn's. I'd recommend the Earnest Tubb Record Shop and Jack's BBQ, both near Gruhn and the Ryman, on Broadway.

bud
Dec-13-2005, 6:14pm
I'll be passing through on that Wednesday also, I hope. I will see Compton/Long at the Station Inn if I can get there.

Bud

Crowder
Dec-13-2005, 7:57pm
For all the great music that comes out of there, Nashvegas is not a good acoustic instrument shopping town at all.

The Country Music HOF is cool and you can waste a couple hours on Broadway even with the kids. BB King's on 2nd Ave. for great food and music, which starts early enough to keep the kids out for the first set at least.

They'd like the mall too...it's quite extravagant.

tree
Dec-14-2005, 9:17am
Yeah, I forgot to mention Opry Mills Mall and Gibson OAI in my rush to compose the original post. #Wow, I would really like to see Compton/Long Wednesday night at the Station Inn. #Man, this is shaping up to be a heck of a trip!

Big Joe
Dec-14-2005, 10:43am
Your wife and kids will love Opry Mills mall. It has everything regular malls don't and not much that regular malls do. Besides the best store in the mall (and Nashville)...the Gibson Showcase, there is the Bass Pro Shop, Build a Bear, the Bose factory store, a tool store, etc, etc, etc,.

johnhgayjr
Dec-14-2005, 5:15pm
The Blue Bird Cafe if you're into singer/songwriter kind of stuff. #Its not my cup of tea but some folks like it...

www.bluebirdcafe.com (http://www.bluebirdcafe.com/)

tree
Dec-16-2005, 10:34am
Hmmm, flyrods or mandos? #That's a tough one, I reckon I'd better schedule some extra time at Opry Mills . . . RCA Studio B tour looks pretty cool too (especially since we just saw Walk The Line). I want to go by Cottens for their guitar selection, but I'd like to see Gruhn's also, and the other places mentioned in that vicinity. #Guess we have some decisions to make. #Thanks for the responses!

Big Joe
Dec-16-2005, 10:40am
Hey Tree...at the Gibson place at Opry Mills, you will find nearly everything Gibson makes, including lots of custom guitars. You will find a good selection of Bourgeios, Santa Cruz, Epiphone, and Blueridge. I believe we have a better selection than anyone in Nashville. That is only the acoustics. Of course there is a great selection of electrics, basses, violins, mandolins, banjos, dobros, squeeze boxes, dulcimers, harmonicas, keyboards, drums, etc, etc, etc. I think you will be impressed. Not only that, we like you to test drive them!

tree
Dec-16-2005, 11:28am
Do you have, say, a nonsmoking room for 4, with 2 king beds? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

luckylarue
Dec-16-2005, 11:54am
I'd check to see if the Predators are playing in town. Nothing like listening to Honky Tonk at Tootsie's and then crossing the street to go watch a hockey game, imo.