PDA

View Full Version : My first Jam

Roydw3
Dec-12-2005, 9:48pm
Saturday I went to the mall and listened to a group called Cancho Grass play. They are from San Angelo, TX.

Sunday, between the moring worship service and my Bible bowl class I teach, I went to my first jam. There is a bluegrass group here (West Texas Bluegrass Association) that meets once a month at the VFW. I arrived late because of obligations and had to leave early because of class. Sadly, that means I didn't get to meet everyone. Anyway, I took my mandolin and played a little chop with much caution while they all played. It was funa and I started to feel a little more comfortable after a bit. I still would use extreme caution as I don't know much more than a few chords and a couple of songs that nobody played (beginner books have songs nobody plays...like Brother John...why would anyone play that at a jam). Anyway, I had a great time and wish I could have stayed longer.

Next month, I hope to be able to go to most of the event. Until March, most of my Sundays are booked. I wish they met on Saturdays.

I had a great time and am really becoming a Bluegrass junkie. The only cds I look for at the stores are BG or mandolin music (incidentally, I can't find any blues mandolin, classical mandolin, or jazz mandolin in our area...hastings and Walmart are about our only outlest that have even bluegrass...and they are usually the same old thing and are overpriced).

I also listen to bluegrass and Nickel Creek when I work out. I have a great mix of old (Monroe, Stanley, etc.) stuff from a decade or so ago, and some new stuff too. I like it all and try to set up my mp3 player to have a good mix.

Anyway, I put new strings on my cheapo Rogue so that my daughters could play with it (I broke a string last week) and so I could take it back to the office to play during lunch. I need to put new strings on my Washburn too but I think I'll wait a day.

Really enjoyed the jam and wish their were more opportunities in West Texas to play and to listen.

Have a good one,
Denny

dtb
Dec-13-2005, 8:49am
as for your cd shopping.........you need to check anything with Jethro Burns........if you want some jazzy stuff.

357mag
Dec-13-2005, 9:09am
I havent had an opportunity to break the ice yet. My bud is a pretty good flat picker on guitar, but with our schedules, we havent been able to put it together yet. When we do, Ill be comfortable with it. But in a group? Wow! Id be a little antsy too.

Bluegrass Books Online
Dec-15-2005, 12:18am
Congratultions! Go to as many jams as you can, learn as many new tunes and chords as you can, and have all the fun you can have (pickin')! Merry Christmas, Rick