PDA

View Full Version : New Pegasus Case

Rich Michaud
Jan-22-2004, 11:51pm
Last summer I ordered a new Pegasus case. I told Sam that I was not in a rush. It arrived today and was well worth the wait. The exterior is a slate gray color and the interior is a claret red. The case strap is incredibly comfortable hanging off one shoulder. The case is not nearly as bulky as my Calton but has more interior space for storage of strings etc. The support at the neck and headstock is excellent. The keys were on a ring holder made of bone. The shape is cool as well. The six metal clasps work well and are easier to open and shut than the Calton although the Calton has less clasps. If availability and price were the same, my choice would be the Pegasus. On the other hand, I have no experience with how either holds up to being dropped, stepped on, crushed, watered, heated or cooled. My sense is that both will easily stand up to most conditions encountered with reasonable use. I plan to post pics in the near future. By the way, Sam (the Pegasus man) is great to deal with and is very responsive to inquiries, status requests and shell and interior selections. One just has to be patient for the time it takes to make it. For what its worth, I thoroughly recommend the Pegasus.

LilCreekster
Jan-23-2004, 1:17pm
I've had mine for about 6 months now, and I absolutely love it. Definately worth the wait, and one heck of a case. It's comfrotable to carry around, supports the mandolin like a dream (did you ever do those science class projects where you create a container that holds an egg and have it drop from like 2 stories up and have it not break? Kinda like that... the one that won. hahha.) Ok not that I'll be dropping my mando from 2 stories up, but you get the idea LOL.

It's a great investment to protect your instrument, and it makes a great footstool too! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandomick
Jan-27-2004, 6:55pm
Mine was delivered about a week before Christmas and I'm tickled with it. Nice & light, well balanced, the only drawback I've encountered is the lack of storage but I solved that by putting my tuner,dykes,nail clippers etc. in a small ditty bag that I can clip to one of the handle rings.

Sam is a great guy to deal with, I picked the bright red shell and had him choose a tartan to match. No way for it to get mixed up with somebody elses. If I can get some decent pictures, I'll put them in the "post a pic" section. You guys gonna post some? I'd like to see some other color combinations.

Crowder
Jan-27-2004, 10:13pm
Mine was delivered about a week before Christmas and I'm tickled with it. Nice & light, well balanced, the only drawback I've encountered is the lack of storage but I solved that by putting my tuner,dykes,nail clippers etc. in a small ditty bag that I can clip to one of the handle rings.
What the heck are dykes?

levin4now
Jan-27-2004, 10:21pm
....and why would you carry them with you in your mandolin case?

On the original note...Hmmm. If I ever own a mandolin worth keeping in a Pegasus I might try one! They look nice.

Do they really take over half a year to produce?

Alan

Mteresko
Jan-28-2004, 12:28am
dykes = diagonal cutters or, more commonly, wire cutters (not to be confused with end nips)

mandolooter
Jan-28-2004, 9:00am
for trimming strings dykes are the way to go...I keep em in my case also.:)

garryh
Jan-28-2004, 6:50pm
I ordered one in August and it's due to ship in February. #So, yes, right now it's taking about 6 months to get one. #Sam told me about some upcoming changes in his business that may reduce that time for future buyers. #Should be an announcement comming out soon about this.

Rich Michaud
Jan-29-2004, 2:59pm
After buying the Pegasus, the urge to buy got me again and I purchased a Small Dog Case cover directly from Small Dog. Apparently it is designed by Sam specifically for a Pegasus case. I will post pics.

Jan-29-2004, 5:25pm
I love my pegasus ! They are the best case IMHO

Chuck
Jan-29-2004, 7:17pm
I too, purchased a Pegasus case for my mando and can't recommend it too highly. If one is traveling or the mando is getting bounced around for any reason, $500.00 to protect even a $1000 mandolin is not bad economics http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

mandomick
Jan-31-2004, 12:40pm
Gonna try to post a shot of the interior.

Jan-31-2004, 12:59pm
I've had a Calton, Pegasus & now a Presto. While the other two are stronger cases...I luv this Presto, just look at the storage!!

mandomick
Jan-31-2004, 1:49pm
That's nice. The storage in that is very similar to the Bobelock cases, just 1 lid instead of 2.

FolkMusician
Jan-31-2004, 6:20pm
Mandomick, i love the plaid lining! I too will get one of these cases if I ever get a mandolin worth keeping, which will hopefully be in the next couple years

Peakbagr
Jan-31-2004, 9:27pm
I have a white one with the Modern Drummond of Perth tartan on order and it should be ready in about a month.
I've heard so many good things about the case I can't wait.
What others have said about Sam is true. What a great guy to work with.

Peakbagr

levin4now
Feb-03-2004, 12:43am
what are we talking in prices for these cases? 400 bucks?

Feb-03-2004, 1:16am
A new Pegasus is $500 ++/-