PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my IV kit finished

dperry
Dec-11-2005, 3:51pm
After seeing mandolinrick and jonas' IV kit pictures, I thought that I would post some of the kit that I did. This was my first attempt at this also and for the most part done on my kitchen table. It has ebony binding and a bone nut because I messed up the one that came with it. I really like the inlays that both jonas and mandolinrick did on their pegheads. I wish now that I would have tried that.
I would also like to thank all on the café for the tips and advice that has helped out tremendously.

Here is the front. The color is not really as red as it looks in this picture. It is more like the other pictures.

dperry
Dec-11-2005, 3:52pm
The back:

dperry
Dec-11-2005, 3:54pm
top side:

dperry
Dec-11-2005, 3:56pm
another

grandmainger
Dec-11-2005, 4:01pm
Hey David! Nice Mando! It looks really good with that colour and the ebony binding. Well done!

mandolin123
Dec-11-2005, 4:04pm
looks good. hows the sound?

dperry
Dec-11-2005, 4:06pm
Hey thanks alot. I was originally thinking that I was going to go light with the color because I thought that the dark binding wouldn't show up to well. At last minute decided to go with some color anyway and it showed up anyway.

dperry
Dec-11-2005, 4:07pm
Here is the bottom side

dperry
Dec-11-2005, 4:11pm
And last is the peghead. It looks bare now that I've seen some inlays on this kit. Oh well I guess that will be something to work on later. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

dperry
Dec-11-2005, 4:21pm
As with the sound, to me it is very good. I've never been fortunate to be around great mandolins so nothing special to compare to. I do have some buzzing frets around the 7 to 9 area. I have had compliments from much better players than I on the sound of it and saying that the sound doesn't wash out as you go up the neck.

Jonas
Dec-12-2005, 3:24am
Hey, nice mandolin! Very good job.

As far as the 'inlays' on my headstock, they're not made of MOP but rather just acrylic pearl paint under the french polished shellac. So it's all fake I'm afraid. But it still looks pretty good I think!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

dperry
Dec-12-2005, 7:24am
Oh I see. Well it had me fooled from the pictures. I see that you are 26. I just turned 25 myself which is why I had to do this in the kitchen because of no workshop or garage yet. I am probably going to do another kit because I still want an F body and then maybe try an A from scratch sometime down the line.

Lane Pryce
Dec-12-2005, 11:32am
David the folks who have built those kits report good sound and playability;how is yours? BTW good job. Lp