PDA

View Full Version : Frank Wakefield DVDs

peterleyenaar
Mar-24-2004, 4:08pm
Did anyone get the Frank Wakefield instructional DVDs and if so , how do you like them , do you find them helpfull.
They are somewhat pricey compared to other instructional material, but if they are good it is probably worth it.

mandofiddle
Mar-24-2004, 4:45pm
I've heard good things as far as the instruction involved. Just make sure your DVD player is compatible with the discs. These are "homeburned" DVDs, and not pressed like DVDs you'll find in a video store. Meaning they aren't compatible with a lot of players. I think they also have a "no-return/refund" policy, so if they don't work, you're up Cripple Creek.

KevinM
Mar-24-2004, 7:58pm
The web site has a guide to the players that they work on - sort through that. If you have an older model DVD player you may have cause for concern. When you order it, ask Jim Moss if he knows whether it works on your player. I have DVD #2 and it's pretty cool, like having Frank in your living room showing you how various Monroe songs are played. Songs are easily accessed through the chapters. If you like bluegrass mandolin, and have the Ronnie McCoury and the Sam Bush Plays Bill Monroe tapes, then this is for you. I plan on getting the rest of them. They are pricey, but I think that is more attributable to the fact that they are "home made" and not mass-produced totake advantage of the economies of scale. I am a sufficently ardent Frank-o-phile to want this anyway just to see Frank play up close.

KevinM
Mar-24-2004, 8:00pm
I believe the no refund policy is more attribtuable to the fact that these are not protected by fancy software or encryption and can be easily copied, hence the no return policy unless it is defective like almost all software, CDs, DVDs and videos have last I checked.

mandomood
Mar-24-2004, 8:16pm
is this good monroe style playing broken down?...

KevinM
Mar-25-2004, 9:04am
It really is like Frank in your living room and showing you a song. The level of detail depends on the song. The camera work is such that you can pretty clearly see what he is doing. There are no tabs or written materials. I think at least for the Monroe stuff it presupposes some level of familiarity with the material, i.e, it complements other Monroe type instructional material you may have or may have already studied. I just got it and haven't "studied" it yet if you know what I mean. But I learned stuff just breezing through, and intend to dig deeper. It is not like the Ronnie McCoury video or the Sam Bush Bill Monroe II video in the sense of passages played slowly and then up to speed each time (although Frank does that on some tunes.) Plus you get to see how he picks, his right hand movement, alot of other "intangibles" by reason of the way Jim Moss filmed it. I recommend it if you are past the beginne stage, like Monroe and/or Frank. (and you should like Frank - he's the genuine article, a real innovator in his own right).

wallflower
Mar-28-2004, 1:24am
If you want an introduction to the Monroe style it's a great way to go. #They're definitely worth having just to see Frank up close. #Frank's DVD's combined with the Homespun Monroe tape make a great collection and reference!