PDA

View Full Version : Mid Missouri m-11 versus Kentucky 380S

timacn
Dec-09-2005, 12:22pm
(I posted this in abother forum because I am new to this board and did not know where my question fit.)

Hello All.

I'm old to guitar and banjo but new to mando. I have a Kentucky 380S that I would like to supplement or upgrade.
My kid is in college so I can't afford a really expensive manod now.

I've heard that Mid Mo mandos are well made, inexpensive, and have an ineresting sound quite different from an F hole mandolin.

Would a Mid Mo be significantly different/better than the Kentucky 380s or should I just keep saving myh money for something better.

Thanks.

Tim McNamara
Lancaster, PA.

Michael H Geimer
Dec-09-2005, 1:45pm
I think so. I traded my Epi MM-50 for an M-11 and found the Mid-mo superior in every way that matters to me ... tone, playability, even its looks appeal to me as I prefer simple class over fancy-done-cheap. FWIW: I'm liking my M-0 just a little more than my M-11 these days.

I've played several Kentucky's and found them to be a little better than my old Epi ... but not on par with a Mid-mo. (older Japanese Kentucky's would be an exception, but good luck finding those)

NFI. I just really dig the Mid-missourri Mandolin Company. I like what they're building, and what they stand for. They're inexpensive without resorting to today's OPP production mentality.

Go Mid-mo!

- Benig

John Flynn
Dec-09-2005, 2:07pm
Mid-mos are great. I have visited the factory and met the owner, Mike Dulak, a couple of times. I agree with Benig's assessment overall about the company and the product. I also have lusted over an M-11 to "match" my Martin 000-15S!

But if it were me, and I was budget limited, I would not spend upgrade money to go from a 380S to a Mid-mo M-11. The 380S is a good, servicable mandolin. I would spend some money on getting a good professional setup. I will share with you that my new instructor, who teaches Celtic fiddle and mandolin and is a very good player, plays gigs and teaches with a well-broken-in Kentucky A and I am knocked over by the tone he gets out of it!

Michael H Geimer
Dec-09-2005, 3:41pm
" I also have lusted over an M-11 to "match" my Martin 000-15S! "

He he he! I beat you to the punch on that combo, MJ.
Mmmmmmmmmmm... mahogany.

JEStanek
Dec-09-2005, 10:03pm
all good advice. That flat top mid mo will sound much different that an arch top ff hole Kentucky. The body shape and woods (all mahog vs spruce and maple) will make for a much different sound. What you need to decide is are you looking for a different sound to play a different style of music on. The flat top oval hole will have a less focused sound with a longer sustain. If you wanna do bluegrass only the mid-mo may not be a great fit (some folks have said their mid-mos were fine for bluegrass). If you want to try celtic, oldtime, folk, classical, the mid mo might be a good place to go.

all that said, you can play all of those styles just fine on your 380. A good set up will help that mando feel and play better for you.

I'll throw the caveat out that so many people use when talking about better/different. Those two mandos will sound different, better is up to you and what you like to hear.

Jamie

Richard Russell
Dec-09-2005, 11:02pm
I own a Mid-Mo M-0 and also a Flatiron Festival A. They both do what they are designed to do extremely well! I love the power and projection (and the loud chop)of the Flatty, and really find it a pleasure to play.
When I pick up the M-0, after playing the Flatiron, I am never dissapointed! In fact, the Mid-Mo is so beautiful in tone and resonant and has lots of depth to it's sound, and volume will not dissapoint either. It is true, however, that it's sound fills the room in a much different way than the f-hole mandolins. A lot of times, that is exactly what my ears love to hear. Mid-mo's are just fantastic instruments and all of your mandolin dollar goes into GREAT SOUND when you invest in one.

8ch(pl)
Dec-10-2005, 9:25am
Since you have the Kentucky, it probably will serve you, unless you want the Mid Missouri. Buying a second hand Mid Missouri as a first instrument is a good idea, even if you intend to do Bluegrass. The reason I say this is that you can get your money back when you sell to upgrade.

For Celtic and Folk the Mid Missouri is excellent, there are better Flat tops, but not for the money.

I have a Samick A style and a Mid Missouri M-4. I use the Samick as a Spare and travel Mandolin and it is a worthy instrument. I mostly play the M-4.

8ch(pl)
Dec-10-2005, 9:26am
Since you have the Kentucky, it probably will serve you, unless you want the Mid Missouri. Buying a second hand Mid Missouri as a first instrument is a good idea, even if you intend to do Bluegrass. The reason I say this is that you can get your money back when you sell to upgrade.

For Celtic and Folk the Mid Missouri is excellent, there are better Flat tops, but not for the money.

I have a Samick A style and a Mid Missouri M-4. I use the Samick as a Spare and travel Mandolin and it is a worthy instrument. I mostly play the M-4.

Stephen Perry
Dec-10-2005, 9:55am
The Kentucky line does quite well with tweeking. Sometimes major tweeking. Too much work for me to normaly handle!!!