PDA

View Full Version : Chording excercise-how to make better

David M.
Dec-09-2005, 10:06am
"Just because you think you're so pretty
Just because you think you're so hot
Just because you think you got something
that nobody else has got..."

I can play it in the more simple I, IV, V type chords, but what's a good way to make this more swing or bluesy sounding by adding more chords? I have been messing in the key of C, so what other chords would make it sound more "Compton backup-ish"? even 2 string chords/bass walks, etc. would help spice up the backing.

There may be another chord in there, too besides the I IV V thing, but haven't gotten that far.

I appreciate your help.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

TeleMark
Dec-09-2005, 12:55pm
There's a 7th chord in there. I usually play it in G (along w/ the version from Jorma Kaukonen's "Blue Country Heart" album). I'm sure you could use some sus chords, but in the line

"I'm telling you honey, I'm leaving you, because; just because" I go from the G to A7, A in the "I'm leaving you" line.

I'm sure there's more you can do with it, but that's as far as I get.

Pete Martin
Dec-10-2005, 5:24pm
Try these

C6 / / / # # # # # / / G7 /
G7 / / / # # # # # / / C6 /
C6 / / / # # # # #C7 / F6 /
F6 / F#dim / # # #C6 / A7 /
D7 / G7 #/ # # # #C6 /(G7)/

For chord shapes, check out the lessons on swing chords. #Click "Lessons" link at the top of this page. #(Dim is diminished)

Pete Martin
Dec-10-2005, 5:25pm
Opps, double the length of the preceeding chord progression. Sorry http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

kudzugypsy
Dec-15-2005, 9:31am
thats a GREAT tune for learning basic chord subs (substutions)
basiclly what you are looking for are passing chords that connect one chord to the next, somethimes this is 1 chord, sometimes a string of chords.
diminished chords always work, and you can string these out and sound like you are really cookin' - an old django trick.
try thinking in just double stops, thats how i usually play and comp that one - you dont *need* big 4 note chords, just little *inside* chords - pick up a copy of jethro burns mando method (mel bay), he outlines this in great detail with LOTS of examples.

David M.
Dec-15-2005, 3:05pm
Nice, Kudzu. I appreciate the Jethro tip.