PDA

View Full Version : need some buying help

moldovamark
Dec-07-2005, 4:59pm
Hi,

I've been playing guitar for 20 years, mando only for the past year, and I think I'm outgrowing the Kentucky 250S I bought sight unseen out of a First Quality catalog. Even with a fresh set of strings it sounds thin and dull. My budget still limits me to a PacRim import, but I don't have the means to compare Kentucky/Morgan Monroe/Michael Kelly/Eastman side-by-side.

I've got right about $700 to spend on a new or used mandolin. Though I'd prefer an F-style, and A-style is fine if it gets me a better instrument for my dollar. I don't care about fancy inlay or binding. I'd rather spend my money on good wood assembled by good hands. My only other consideration is that I'll be using it live with a loud-ish pop/alt.country band, so I'll almost certainly be using a Fishman bridge pickup with it.

Are there makes and models I should be aiming toward? How do Kelly, Monroe, and Eastman compare? (I know Eastman is a sponsor of this site, so I hope thats not an impolite question to ask.) Are there particular on-line stores/sources of information I should be looking at?

I don't know the mandolin market like I know the guitar market, so any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

otterly2k
Dec-07-2005, 5:14pm
m-mark-
You will definitely get more for your money with A's in this range.

All the companies you mention make some fine instruments and some less than fine instruments. The key, if possible, is to go where you can play some and see if any speak to you. Instruments vary quite a bit one to the other... first hand experience with them will be your best indicator.

Also-
You may well be able to find a used Breedlove in your price range. I got mine for about $750 and that was WITH an upgraded tailpiece, armrest and hard case... keep an eye on the cafe classifieds for these and other good deals.

You will find a lot of information and opinions on mandos in any price range by using the "search" function of this website, and/or by spending some time reading past threads.

good luck
KE

Lane Pryce
Dec-07-2005, 5:20pm
Of those you listed I would only consider the Eastman. If you can save alitte more cash you may be able to get yourself a used A9 or a used Flatiron A. I agree with Karen you will get more bang for your hard earned cash by going with an A. Lp

As for info you can get it all here on the cafe. Search each brand you have an interest in and take from there. Much discussion on each. Good luck and welcome to the cafe'. Lp

mr51
Dec-07-2005, 5:32pm
I am not an expert on mandolins, but I am a player on a budget. Therefore I try to shop around before I put my money down to pay for something.

I've never played an Eastman, but from what I understand, they are excellent mandolins.

I have looked at some of the Morgan Monroes at a local music shop. They are alright but I'd rate them about the same as a Kentucky.

For the $700 price range, I'd take a strong serious look at the Michael Kelly line. I now own two MK's. I own an A Oval and recently bought a F-style Legacy Oval. In my opinion, they are excellent insturments for the money.

If you are interested in the MK mandolins, contact Dennis Vance at The Mandolin Store, he has some really good prices on remaining MK's at the time.

Another place you should consider for MK's is www.wiresonwood.com

Yes they sell through EBay, but have an excellent rating and are really good folks to deal with. Their website has their phone number listed, feel free to give them a call. The prices that you see on the web-site is not what the mandolin can be bought for. An F-Style Oval with case and shipping can be bought for around $560.

Eric F.
Dec-07-2005, 5:37pm
Your budget does NOT limit you to a Pac Rim instrument. A Howard Morris A, a used Breedlove Quartz, a Mid-Mo, a Flatiron pancake, a Davis flattop (shameless plug) - there are plenty of possibilities if you are open to a well-made, good-sounding instrument that doesn't look like everybody else's.

Eric F.
Dec-07-2005, 5:44pm
One other thing: I also have a KM250. It's a few years old and has had the snot played out of it by me and several people I've lent it to. I sanded off some of the thick lacquer from the back, put on a better bridge and strung it with Sam Bush strings. It's not the richest sounding mandolin you will ever hear, but it's not thin and tinny. It's loud and cuts through just fine. You might try a little "random hippie sanding" and some different strings. Also, you can get an ebony bridge from Siminoff for $26. Sometimes that can make a big difference.

J. Mark Lane
Dec-07-2005, 5:51pm
I've never played an Eastman, but from what I understand, they are excellent mandolins. #
Well, this won't surprise anyone ... but in my opinion, they are most certainly *not* "excellent mandolins." And in my case, I *have* played some -- about 20, I would say, in all price ranges offered by the company.

My estimation of Eastmans is that they have better "fit and finish" than most Asian imports, and generally look good and intonate well enough. But they sound lousy. Not significantly better than an MK, Morgan Monroe, etc. And the prices are absurdly high. The only Eastman I ever played that I half-way liked (and that was only half-way) was being offered at Mandolin Brothers for $1899. There were a dozen other mandolins in the store that blew it away for that much or less. The lower priced ones were not even in the running.

For $700, I would look for a decent used A, or perhaps a Morris A. The older Kentucky's are often quite good for the money. I had one that was very nice (never should have sold it) that cost less than $300. Here's one:

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-4311.htm

There's plenty more around. Watch the classifieds here. You can get a decent player for $700, as long as you don't insist on an F style, and if you accept that a used mandolin is good enough.

J. Mark Lane
Dec-07-2005, 5:57pm
Check this one out:

http://tinyurl.com/79kuj

Or this one:

http://tinyurl.com/ccj46

Or...hello!

http://tinyurl.com/aculc

See, all that in less than five minutes of looking. There are lots of options.

357mag
Dec-07-2005, 5:59pm
I always plug MKs. Best of the pacrims in my experience. But I also have an Eastman which is in a different league in that approx. price range.

Ray Neuman
Dec-07-2005, 6:04pm
I would suggest you also play any brand you can get your hands on. I have played my Washburn M1 for about 15 years, and its developed a very nice, full sound. Is it in the same league as the Red Diamond I am being lent? Not a chance, but, it is "good enough"? Yep. I am a fan of the player is much more important then the instrument.

professir, learning life.

Eric F.
Dec-07-2005, 6:10pm
Mark, I like the cut on your Web site. ...

Richard Russell
Dec-07-2005, 7:32pm
I just went through the upgrade process and got a Flatiron Festival A for $900. It lacks nothing in sound! I would have also been delighted if I had bought the following(some may come up used in the $700 range): Rigel A Natural, Weber Hyalite, Gibson A-9. Even if they don't come available at $700, if you stretch just a bit, you will always always be glad you did!

wayfaringstranger
Dec-07-2005, 7:54pm
I have to (respectively) disagree with Mark.

I just acquired an Eastman oval A in a trade for my long-neglected guitar amp. My first thought (before I saw the mando) was to simply make the trade and then sell the mando. After I played it, I decided to keep it. It's really a wonderful little instrument, especially for what I'm told it would have cost me if I had purchased it outright.

A good friend of mine also has an eastman (whatever model corresponds to their low-ish end A-5 style), and it's a great-sounding little instrument, too, especially for the money. The build quality on both is quite impressive; in fact, it's better than several much more expensive (and admittedly better sounding) US-made custom instruments I've run across.

I'm sure that like any production company, Eastman makes some duds; I've played a couple that didn't impress me at all. But my own experience suggests that they're definitely worth a look. If you play it and it speaks to you, great. If not, I saw lots of other good suggestions above.

Good luck. Hope you find a good 'un.

Pedal Steel Mike
Dec-07-2005, 9:27pm
http://tinyurl.com/ccj46
Man, this has to be the deal of the century.

If that mandolin is still avalable, grab it. You won't be sorry.

The A naturals came with rosewood fretboards (The A+s are ebony) and they didn't have built in pickups (unlike all of today"s Rigels.) But Rigel makes some of the best mandolins around.

Even though this is a discontinued model, I'm sure it's a better than excellent mandolin.

I've said this before but it's worth repeating. When my Gibson broke I spend a cosiderable amount of time checking out a lot of different brands, incl;uding Collings, Weber, Breedlove, Eastman, Godin, Michael Kelley, National, and many others. I played a lot of really nice mandos that would have made me very happy, but when I tried out a Rigel, it was a revelation. It was love at first touch/sound.

Now this is of course my subjective opinion, but the facts are that Rigel makes excellent mandos, and this is a terrific price. I seriously doubt you can find a better one for that kind of money.

Dano Reible
Dec-07-2005, 10:55pm
I have a like new two month old Eastman 515 with fitted case, armrest, longhollow strap and six sets of J-74 strings all for #765 shipped. I send a PM with my cell phone if you wish to speak on this.

I just have a custom Silver Angel comming thanks to my wife. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

neal
Dec-09-2005, 3:30pm
Listen to the guys that say "better #mando for the money=Astyle". #But I'm being a little self-serving here............................sorry? no.

Shameless, shameless plug. #I have a great Gibson A-Jr on ebay starting at 750. #Shameless plug, I feel....guilty actually. #If it doesn't sell on Ebay, gimmee a jingle if you're interested.

Shameless. #Self serving. #Boorish. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

derekbyron
Dec-09-2005, 4:11pm
m-mark
i was in the same position as you a couple months ago. many years of guitar playing and a good amount of knowledge on styles, makes, quality, prices of what is available in the new and used guitar market. but, very little knowledge about whats out there in the mandolin world. my budget also put me in the PacRim market or Astyle domestic market. I only buy American made guitars (and have for years) and felt as though I would need to make an exception with a new mandolin in order to get decent sound/fit/finish. I bit the bullet with my import apprehension and bought an Eastman 615. I sent it back after a few days.

If you've been playing guitar for that long, you have probably grown accustomed to a certain quality and vibe and the "inexpensive" PacRim's probably won't thrill you, barring the few exceptions out there. It reminded of all the avergage, yet well constructed Epiphone, Ibanez, Yamaha, Takamine, etc guitars that are available for $500 or under. I'm sure that the high end Eastman and MK's are better, but at the pricepoint you might as well buy a used F9 or better yet, support the many talented independent luthiers here in the US.

I ended up increasing my budget a bit and got an amazing Newell A style. If I wasn't able to spend more, knowing what I know now, I would have waited for an Astyle Rigel, FlatIron, or A9 to come up on the classifieds - every week there is at least one really good buy in this range.

J. Mark Lane
Dec-09-2005, 4:42pm
And there you have it, spot on.

Congrats on the Newell. I hope to get one myself before too much longer.

Mark

Pete Braccio
Dec-09-2005, 6:08pm
I agree that the Rigel A in the classifieds looks like a great deal. I really like the sound of the Breedloves as well. If you can pick one of those up used you should be all set.

Pete

Lane Pryce
Dec-09-2005, 7:19pm
That Rigel is the way to go. No interest here either---its just a great deal on an excellent mandolin. Lp

Richard Russell
Dec-09-2005, 11:11pm
Go for the Rigel A natural. It truly and honestly believe it will "thrill" the owner! If someone buys it and does not like it, contact me and I may be interested! I just bought a mandolin, if I had not, it would be in my hands right now!

hungry mountain boy
Dec-10-2005, 2:35pm
I would suggestthe Howard Morris A model in the Classifieds, very nice mandolins, I have an A-5 good woody warm tone and good volume, nice playability.

woodwiz
Dec-10-2005, 4:59pm
While there are plenty of good used mandolins on the market, I have to put in another word for Eastman. I recently acquired a 615, and it plays and sounds miles better than my 1917 Gibson or any of the other old Gibsons (including a snakehead) and Martins I have owned over the last 25 years ever did.

You can by a fairly plain A model at Gianna Violins for $520. Included in the price is a setup and acoustical tuneup, and a satisfaction guarantee. Or you can step up to a fancier one for $759. I was going to buy one of them until I ran into a deal I couldn't pass up.

I've been lusting after a better mandolin for years, but I think this one will be a keeper.

Michael

hernbone
Dec-10-2005, 5:56pm
''Well, this won't surprise anyone ... but in my opinion, they are most certainly *not* "excellent mandolins." #And in my case, I *have* played some -- about 20, I would say, in all price ranges offered by the company. #

My estimation of Eastmans is that they have better "fit and finish" than most Asian imports, and generally look good and intonate well enough. #But they sound lousy. #Not significantly better than an MK, Morgan Monroe, etc. #And the prices are absurdly high. #The only Eastman I ever played that I half-way liked (and that was only half-way) was being offered at Mandolin Brothers for $1899. #There were a dozen other mandolins in the store that blew it away for that much or less. #The lower priced ones were not even in the running.''

''I only buy American made guitars (and have for years) and felt as though I would need to make an exception with a new mandolin in order to get decent sound/fit/finish. #I bit the bullet with my import apprehension and bought an Eastman 615. #I sent it back after a few days. #

If you've been playing guitar for that long, you have probably grown accustomed to a certain quality and vibe and the "inexpensive" PacRim's probably won't thrill you, barring the few exceptions out there. #It reminded of all the avergage, yet well constructed Epiphone, Ibanez, Yamaha, Takamine, etc guitars that are available for $500 or under. #I'm sure that the high end Eastman and MK's are better, but at the pricepoint you might as well buy a used F9 or better yet, support the many talented independent luthiers here in the US.''

First of all Mark, I totally share your opinion concerning the Eastmans, and thanks for expressing yours here. I'm primarily a guitar player for 25 years now, just past the novice stage on mandolin in my own opinion, I started on a Yahama guitar way back when, upgraded into Martins and Santa Cruz's over a long time period. Bought a handmade K&G F-5 3 years ago but recently sold it as it was just not economical to keep with the amount of time I actually played it.Certain individuals build up Blueridge guitars and Eastman mandolins to the point where it becomes irritating to me. I tried out the entire stock of Eastmans at the closest dealer, from the lowest to highest priced model, all of them were quickly placed back on the rack, I don't get it and I don't understand the hype... Anyway, to finish, got very lucky on E-Bay and found a 30 year old handmade F-5 that is out of this world soundwise and looks wise for $850, a woody sound that you just don't find in whats out there right now.Just want to say if a person is patient and looks hard enough they can do the same thing, don't overlook the independent luthiers

hernbone
Dec-10-2005, 6:02pm
Might want to add, if anyone likes the Eastmans, more power to them, I just don't see or hear it myself... It's the hype of putting them in the same category as Gibsons and Collings and American Luthiers that really irritates me...

J. Mark Lane
Dec-10-2005, 9:30pm
Hernbone,

Thanks for chiming in. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one out here who feels that way. I completely agree with everything you said.

Mark