PDA

View Full Version : Old Gibson A's

stanley
Mar-24-2004, 12:15pm
A friend has an old Gibson A3 (I think) and I offered to help him re-string it. I don't know what the history of this mando is, only that the strings are old and that the mando may have been sitting around for a while.

I'm looking for suggestions on what I should look for (and do) when I string it up with new strings. At this point, this is what I plan to do:

1) oil the tuners
2) look for any separations & cracks
3) try to remove the endpin and look inside for any gaps between the bracing and top surface
4) maybe put a smidge of linseed oil on the fretboard
5) a gentle overall polish
6) re-string with black diamond strings

Regarding these instruments, I'm not sure what else I should do or watch for. So any suggestions would be welcome and greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Bill

Bob A
Mar-24-2004, 12:29pm
I'd lube the nut and bridge with pencil lead (graphite), and check the rim of the back for signs of shrinkage, and maybe lose the endpin - a virtual splitting wedge that offers little security for a strap anyway. But you've covered the bases so far as I can see. I don't know if the instrument has an adjustable bridge: the action might pose a problem with changes over the years.

Jeff Wheelock
Mar-24-2004, 12:30pm
These mandos have a single brace that runs parallel to the bridge, located between the bridge and the soundhole. The brace is tapered on either end. Often, one or both of the ends begins to separate from the underside of the top. You can check for this when you have it unstrung. You'll be able to reach a finger into the sound hole and press against the tapered ends of the brace, If there's movement, the brace has begun to separate. A little glue and a c-clamp will fix it. Frank Ford describes how to do this at Frets.com.

duuuude
Mar-24-2004, 5:31pm
Those Black Diamonds a heavy string? May wanna go light at first if it ain't been under tension for awhile.

Maybe arrange to bring it to Stawberry so we can get a general concensus on your completed work. (just a thinly veiled attempt to get my mitts on it for a few minutes)
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

stanley
Mar-24-2004, 6:14pm
Yeah, I'm just lookin' to get MY MITTS on it for a few minutes. The BD strings are a pretty light guage, which I thought I remember reading were a 'reproduction' of the strings of that era (I couldn't find that thread, however). It is currently 'in tune', but maybe not fully up to pitch (that I haven't checked. And I'll probably change them out in pairs in order to keep tension on the top.

And I'm not sure if I'd call you 'mandollusional'...just hopefull.