View Full Version : Roll Off

Ed Lutz
Dec-04-2005, 9:10am
I would like to know how to do what to me sounds like a "roll-off" similiar to what I think banjo pickers use after their break. I hear a lot of mandolin pickers use it too. Is it a lick, tag or what? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Jim Broyles
Dec-07-2005, 6:31pm
USN, I have been waiting to see if anybody replied to your question to be sure I understand what you mean. Since no one has replied yet I wonder if you could give an example of a mandolin "rolling off" as you put it. When I finish a solo, I usually just go back to chopping with maybe a little "chord triplet" kind of how Bill Monroe would strum them sometimes.

Dec-08-2005, 8:42am
In G, using D string 5th fret as your G note "home base" try:

D--5-5-5--8-7-5------ 5----5--8-7--5-------5------

There are million little variations, but this is essentially what I do to accomplish the "roll off" I think you are referring to. It's hard to express the timing in "tab" but think "banjo roll" and you'll catch the feel of it, I think. Oh yeah...almost forgot...the 8-7 is a pull-off...I think I pick all the other notes...gotta run off to work...no time to check on the mando...

Dec-08-2005, 9:24pm
Just a bump so this doesn't disappear completely...I feel like the thread killer around here

Dec-08-2005, 9:36pm
Mike -

Tried it out, easy to play, definitely got the feel of it. But why is that called a 'roll off'?

There, now the thread's not dead. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Dec-08-2005, 9:51pm
Hey...great...I didn't kill this thread!

Seems like banjo players use this type of lick to end solos and roll until the next verse starts...you can do it over and over again until the singer remembers the next line or whatever, I reckon...I knew what USN Retired meant when he asked the question, I guess...so...anyway...I can suggest some variations if anyone's curious...I use this type of thing all the time...

Jim Broyles
Dec-08-2005, 10:37pm
Handpicked, I play this type of stuff all the time, but I never knew it was called a roll off. You could also go:





A------5--3-1~2-- 1~2 = slide or hammer-on

Would these be roll offs? To answer USN's question, I would simply call them licks. The Fretboard Roadmaps Mandolin book calls them "Tag endings."

Dec-08-2005, 11:48pm
I play banjo. We call the space-filler licks at the ends of breaks tag licks.
I used to play drums. A roll off was what the drum section did to start a march.

Dec-09-2005, 12:05am
I'm with you, man...those licks are all great...I just wanted to take a crack at answering USN Retired's question...I, for one, never heard the term roll-off before...but I think we know what he intended by the question...Seems like sunburst's term "tag lick" is probably the correct term, but what do I know http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Dec-09-2005, 5:38am
These are called runs (but yes, they're also little licks). I bet you've all (if you play bluegrass) heard about the guitar player's G run? Runs are for all instruments though. I usually use them at the end of a break or to end the tune. I have yet to learn use those blue notes though.

Ed Lutz
Dec-10-2005, 11:40am
Thanks everyone for the answers. I too thought the thread was dead and just now checked to see if anyone came back. WOW! I am greatful for the responses. The term roll off might be misleading. What to me sounds like a r.o. seems to be at least five notes varing in pitch and ending on it's lowest note. It sounds really great to hear it from mandolin or banjer players. I hope that this makes sense. Again thanks to all and I will try it. I have some endings etc at the end of my JAM Tunes books but have not examined them at length to apply them at the end of a break.:D