PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Mandolin

Lane Pryce
Dec-01-2005, 9:06am
Shipping my F9 to the west coast. With the varying extremes in temp and humidity should I keep the string tension up or loosen? Are there any other factors to consider aside from really good packing? Lp

Eric F.
Dec-01-2005, 10:52am
I'd loosen the string tension, although I have received mandos at full tension with no problems. Make sure to pad well under and around the headstock. You don't want it moving. I think frets.com has an excellent article on packing for shipping. Also, make sure the recipient knows that if it's cold, he or she should wait to open the box.

Lane Pryce
Dec-01-2005, 1:11pm
Thanks Eric. I checked out the article,good common sense advice. Lp

Frank Russell
Dec-01-2005, 1:17pm
Lane - If you loosen the string tension, which seems to be more or less common practice, remember to put some padding around the bridge so that it doesn't wander. Also take off the tailpiece cover and put it in the inside case pocket. I have received at least one mando in the mail that had been scratched to hell because the tailpiece cover and loose bridge had been walking all over the mando's top in transit. Other than that, padding the headstock as recommended is always a good idea. Good luck, Frank

Lane Pryce
Dec-01-2005, 1:22pm
Bridge movement is a concern for me as I would hate for the new owner to have fool with setting the intonation. Down right tricky if you've never done it. Lp

mandroid
Dec-01-2005, 3:33pm
down 3 whole notes should be sufficient.
In winter, suggest leaving the case unopened for a few hours , so the finish doesnt get a shock from the sudden temperature change.
The [3] slide on TP covers on mine, are pretty snug, cant imagine the thing coming off enroute.
bought a nice F5 Fla>Ore,It came padded in the case,case in a box within a box and foam padding between.

Lane Pryce
Dec-01-2005, 4:29pm
Robert thanks for the info. Lp

Dale Ludewig
Dec-01-2005, 7:42pm
I always ship tuned down a bit. Not enough to let the bridge move, but enough to ease up the tension a little. Especially in winter, when you don't where that instrument might be sitting for a half a day. If the tailpiece has a cover, I'd probably take it off also. And remove the end pin, if it's the tapered type. And I agree 100% with the idea of whoever is getting it lets it sit for some hours before opening the case to make it unlikely that the finish will craze from too fast movement.

Lee
Dec-02-2005, 5:46pm
If possible, ship to to an industrial address, maybe where the recipient works. FedEx/UPS seem much more reliable on their regular routes than when venturing into residential neighborhoods.