PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Monel Strings

Jon Hall
Jan-22-2004, 12:17am
I have always order Gibson monels from Elderly but they no longer list them in their web catalog. Does anyone know if they are discontinued by Gibson?

Does anyone else make a similar string?

Scotti Adams
Jan-22-2004, 7:46am
..yep..gone..The Sam Bush set is the same thing...with an extra E string....

Scotti Adams
Jan-22-2004, 7:49am
..D'Addario makes a set now JS74's....they are just coming out with them and introduced at NAMM...I guess they are comparable to the Gibson Monels only with a .16 for the A's

mando-in-kingwood
Jan-22-2004, 10:56pm
Are the Sam Bush sets still made and available, or were they discontinued also?

BigJoe
Jan-23-2004, 12:00am
The Sam Bush strings are still being made.

rcoolz
Jan-25-2004, 9:37am
Do you mean they are gone from elderly or out of production. My local dealer has 5 sets and that is all I use . If they are out of production I better go get them http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif thanks for any reply. ---rcoolz

Scotti Adams
Jan-25-2004, 9:49am
..they are no longer being produced..so you better grab them up....from what I understand....The Bush set is the same thing...I just ordered 6 sets of the Bush's so I will soon find out..

mandoJeremy
Jan-25-2004, 9:52am
Scotti, you are exactly right because I used the Bush set over a year ago and they are the same as the monels. Just different packaging and that extra first string are the only differences.

Jon Hall
Jan-25-2004, 10:16am
It sounds like a marketing decision to me. Gibson increased their sales of monel strings(Sam Bush package not included) by 12.5%.

I'm sure I'll buy the Sam Bush set even though I've never broken an E string. The A's are the ones that die first.

Scotti Adams
Jan-25-2004, 12:52pm
It sounds like a marketing decision to me. Gibson increased their sales of monel strings(Sam Bush package not included) by 12.5%.

I'm sure I'll buy the Sam Bush set even though I've never broken an E string. The A's are the ones that die first.
..exactly...Add Bush's mug and just raise the price of the regular Monels....

mandoJeremy
Jan-25-2004, 5:00pm
Okay Scotti, here is our latest disagreement!!! I have broken a s&*tload more E strings in my 12 years of playing than A's. As far as marketing is concerned, if your A strings wear out first, then it wouldn't help you to buy the Bush set since there's only that extra (1) E string! Since they wear out so quickly, you should hope they would put in an extra (1) A string but what would you do then because you would still be wanting (1) A string? Better buy two (2) Bush sets to compensate for the loss of the A string on the first set!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif They are still as great as ever, as long as you can get over the marketing craze (your words, not mine!) and throw away an extra string that you will never need or utilize.

Scotti Adams
Jan-25-2004, 5:41pm
Jeremy...the only part I agree on Jons post was the marketing issue..I dont know how to edit the quotes...I dont necessarly agree on the A & E string issue......To be truthful I dont break too many strings let alone one more than the other... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif # the Monels are the best string in my opinion..no matter what they call them http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

mandoJeremy
Jan-26-2004, 12:44pm
I do agree that they are the best strings Scotti and I must confess that I don't break many strings anymore myself. #I used to play a lot harder than I do now and I guess that's why I broke so many E's. #Of course, I did leave "Picking On The Green" in Asheville one night with only one G string and two D strings left on my mando! #I had only been playing about two years then and didn't know not to hit the strings too hard! My mando just didn't quite have the same tone with only three strings left on it!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Mando4Life
Jan-26-2004, 1:38pm
FYI....Big City Strings still has some Monels...I just received 2 packs today. They are the Gibcon Monels notthe Sammy B's. I'm curious to see how they sound.

WBL

Scotti Adams
Jan-26-2004, 8:44pm
back before Christmas First Quality had 36 sets of the plain ol Monels..I got them for $3.00 a set....bought a dozen...makes me wish I would have bought them all at the time....

Crowder
Jan-26-2004, 9:07pm

There was a news release this week about the owners (actually the article said "founders") trying to take the company public as soon as possible. I'd expect more of this kind of thing, not less. When you're owned by shareholders, you have to be more creative to make your numbers. Look for more Korean mandolins with Epiphone and even Gibson across the headstock in a store near you http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

BigJoe
Jan-27-2004, 12:14am
Hey Crowder!
There have been rumors of Gibson going public for at least ten years I remember. It could happen, but it has not yet. Even if it does, that is not likely to change anything visible. All Epiphone mandolins are pac-rim in our own factory there. The Gibson is hand made in America and that is not going to change in our lifetime...if ever. Believe me on this, no board of stockholders could be more fierce on making numbers than our current owners. In spite of this, he demands the finest instruments that can be built.

Now back to the issue at hand. Monel strings. We just got a good shipment of Sam Bush strings in stock. They have a new packaging and that is likely what took so long to get them. Same product, just different package. I'm glad to have them back. Great strings. They should be available in your area soon.

mandoJeremy
Jan-27-2004, 8:17am
BigJoe, that explains why my Bush came back with phosphor bronze strings! You all were out of the monels I guess. I wondered when I got it back because I shipped to you all with monels.

KevinM
Jan-27-2004, 5:30pm
I just got two sets of the Sam Bush Monels from FQMS, along withn the pricey TorTis pick, to chase after that Monroe sound on my Flatiron Festival F. They have a softer feel than my prior J74s, not as "brassy", more woody I suppose. They sound good, and I am still evaluating them. The extra strings are nice but did not affect my purchase decision. Just looking for that perfect Monroe sound.

Mando4Life
Feb-02-2004, 10:34pm
They're finally on and I like 'em....a lot. Two more sets are on the way. I pondered for a long time and glad I finally tried them out. They are much less "bright-sounding" than the 74s.

doanepoole
Feb-02-2004, 11:45pm
I like the Sam Bush's, but they are overpriced comparitive to the market, and in my experience nickels-alloy strings go dead faster than phosphor bronzes.

D'Addario also makes nickel string (J67s) that are considerably less expensive. Anyone tried these and care to compare them to the Bush's?

Scotti Adams
Feb-03-2004, 7:33am
..Im fixin to put on a set of Bushs before I leave for SPBGMA...Im not anticipating any differences compared to my Monels I have used for years...I like the dry, woody, "dead" sound they produce...but I have determined that they arent for every mando..and Ive been lucky to get them for a drop dead price....

Scotti Adams
Feb-03-2004, 4:08pm
..I put the Bush's on today..first off..I didnt realize they came with an extra E and A string...thats good..I was only expecting an extra E..I like them...theres something a little different about them compared to the regular Monels..I cant quite put my finger on it yet....but so far I love them and I dont think that will change...

mandoJeremy
Feb-03-2004, 6:04pm
You're right Scotti, I had forgotten that came with an extra E and A. I guess that explains why I have about 30 extra E and A strings lying on my bookshelf. I never used the extras.

Scotti Adams
Feb-03-2004, 8:07pm
You're right Scotti, I had forgotten that came with an extra E and A. #I guess that explains why I have about 30 extra E and A strings lying on my bookshelf. #I never used the extras.
..Ive got a stock pile of g's and d's.....kinda makes me wish I would break some once in a while...

mandoJeremy
Feb-03-2004, 11:14pm
Me too, I will trade you 30 E or A strings for 30 G or D strings.....oops, I would still be in the same situation! Better than having no extra strings I guess! Better yet, let's trade 31 of them and that way we both come up short!

mandomood
Feb-03-2004, 11:52pm
between the two of you...scotti and jeremy...send me just a couple of each and let me try em out!

that is if they are just sittin' around and all.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Scotti Adams
Feb-03-2004, 11:54pm
..I could do that...better yet..I will send you a new set of Bush's..pm with your addy..or if you come to SPBGMA...I will give them to ya there..

DannyB
Feb-04-2004, 9:14am
I started out with ghs phosporous bronze and went to J74's, I just ordered 6 sets of Bush Monels hoping that I get the sound a little closer to what I want. Janet Davis owes you guys commission on that sale. Thanks for the info..

BenE
Feb-04-2004, 12:18pm
Do you guys think that the Bush sets offer more corrosion resistance than the phosphor bronzes? I have never tried these but may have to after all the recomendations.....

mandoJeremy
Feb-04-2004, 12:55pm
Hey BenE, yes they definitely hold up to corrosion much better than phosphor bronze. That's why I originally started using them because I can corrode a set of phosphor bronze (Elixers and EXPs!) and every other brand of strings in less than one 45 minute set! The only string that I eventually corrode on the Monel set is the A and E strings because they are just plain steel strings. I never do corrode the D and G strings of the Monel set and I can leave them on my mando for 2 weeks and they still hold up. I just love them. You should try a set and see what you think, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

BenE
Feb-04-2004, 12:59pm
MandoJeremy....Thanks for the reply.
My hands tend to sweat like crazy and I can ruin a set of strings pretty quick...I'll have to try a set of these next time around...Who has the best price these days?

mandoJeremy
Feb-04-2004, 4:03pm
The cheapest I have seen is First Quality.

Scotti Adams
Feb-04-2004, 5:55pm
..I started using them way back in the mid 80's for that very reason..less corrosive..and after a while I realized they have that dry, woody sound right out of the pack...to me thay aint on other strang...

BenE
Feb-09-2004, 11:24am
Well fellers....I got in a dozen sets thanks to Mando Medic (man...that was some fast shipping! Thanks!)
So far I really like them. We had a gig on Friday night so I pulled off the dead J74's on Saturday and put on the Bush's and what you guys have said is right on. They sound good right from the start. You don't get that brassy, bright tone that you have the first couple of days with the J74's. I would always change my strings a couple days before a gig so that they wouldn't be so bright and have time to break in...I guess now I don't have to worry about that anymore!

DannyB
Feb-10-2004, 8:46am
BenE or anyone else, I just put monels on instead of J74s and I'm having a hard time getting use to the A string being a 14 rather than a 16..Anyone else notice this...It's probably because I have a habit of hitting my strings harder, a habit that started with my old mando. Just looking for input..

sincerely missing my 74s,
Danny

Scotti Adams
Feb-10-2004, 8:57am
..Danny...you will get used to it....I made the transition many years ago....now I wouldnt think of using anything else....

mandoJeremy
Feb-10-2004, 10:03am
I agree with Scotti, that .014 didn't feel right at first to me but now a .016 doesn't feel right. Just be patient.