PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate/Advanced Books

Katie
Nov-29-2005, 2:28pm
Okay, I'm picky and I know what I want. I hope someone here can help me. I've been playing for nearly a year and a half. I stopped lessons over the summer because of money issues and I wasn't getting much out of them except for fun. I'm an advanced musician, but only an intermediate mandolin player. I'm looking to take myself to the next level of playing, but I can't do that with the resouces I have right now.
Okay, now here's what I want. I'm looking for an etude type of book written in standard notation. I want to improve my finger patterns, but honestly, I don't want to run scale drills, so etudes that work in scales, arpeggios, etc will be great. Chords are probably my weak point, though I can hear harmonic progressions much better than I used to. I frequently go for the two finger chords unless the barred chords are convenient. I'm not looking for a style method. I like multiple styles and want a book that I can apply to whatever I'm playing at the time.
Any suggestions?
*^_^*
Katie

WJF
Nov-29-2005, 3:39pm
so etudes that work in scales, arpeggios, etc will be great.
Any suggestions?
*^_^*
Katie

How about the Bach Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin ... certainly not a method book or collection of etudes but if you want scale and arpeggio work (and some deliciously voiced chords too) that happens to involve some of the most beautiful music ever composed, you can't really go wrong here.

Hope this helps!

Jim Garber
Nov-29-2005, 4:32pm
Come over the classical section where this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=6;t=29875) is already in progress.

Obviously standard notation is assumed.

Quick answer to your needs is the Goichberg 35 Progressive Etudes for Mandolin. Nice music and it will bend your fingers and mind. it is further discussed in that thread.

Jim

Tom C
Nov-29-2005, 4:41pm
Wayne Fugate (WJF) has a real nice book out. Unlike most books with just tunes or scales, this is great learnin. It has those plus, nice finger busters to help fingers become more independent of one another and some nice timing themes. Such as playing Soldier Joy in 4/4 as we all know it, then in 3/4 as a waltz and then in 6/8 as a jig. I really need to dig into it again and with more depth.

No, the dork on the cover is not WJF.

http://www.elderly.com/images/books/250/20-22671.jpg

Katie
Nov-29-2005, 5:17pm
I'm going to pick up Bach when I go to the library today and I ordered the Goichberg through the statewide library system. Sometimes this library system actually pays off...how nice! The Bach might be a little frustrating for me. Like I said, I've got music knowledge and theoretical background, but not all the skills I need for this particular instrument. I seem to remember trying back a while back and getting frustrated, but maybe I'm ready now. I'll just take it slow. Thanks. Other suggestions are also appreciated.
*^_^*
Katie

Martin Jonas
Nov-29-2005, 5:32pm
It's much more difficult to recommend books at this level rather than at beginners' level, as everybody has built a different foundation from which to start. One book I like a lot is Simon Mayor's Mastering The Mandolin (http://212.67.202.53/~simonmayor/mandolin/traxmas.html). A good modern tutor that deals with position playing, simple and complex harmonies, right-hand attitude, double-stopped tremolo; a nice selection of well-presented techniques and good examples drawn from many different genres.

Martin

gnelson651
Nov-29-2005, 10:05pm
I've been playing for nearly a year and a half... I'm an advanced musician, but only an intermediate mandolin player.

WOW!!! To be able to become an intermediate mandolin player in 1 1/2 years is good. I've been playing mandolin for 2 years and feel that I'm maybe an advanced beginner or just one step over the line as an intermediate player. (I played banjo for 30 years prior to the mandolin but this probably put me two steps backward after years of hearing all the banjo player jokes http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif ).

You say you are an "advanced musician." Advanced in what instrument? I'm not trying to be flippant here but am interested in how you were able to progress so fast?

Jim Garber
Nov-29-2005, 10:43pm
Actually, it would be helpful to know what instrument you are advanced on.

Also, I am confused by what you are looking for in terms of chords. Are you talking about chords for accompanying or for chordal patterns within melodic playing. If the latter perhaps something like one of the violin etudes for double stops -- Melodious Double Stops bt Trott comes to mind.

Jim

makoto
Nov-30-2005, 8:11am
There is a collection of Jethro Burns' music that Mel Bay produces. It has many great tunes at different skill levels, a lot of exercises, and lots of good information. Mike Marshall's books are very good too, depending on what you want to do. And I have heard that Andy Statman's book/6 cd set is very advanced material. These are all in notation and tab, but you could ignore the tab and just read the notes.
I could not agree more with jgarber about the Sol Goichberg etudes, they are excellent. Good luck.

cumin
Nov-30-2005, 9:48am
I am a beginner, nearly done with the first volume in the Mastering Mandolin series, and it is pretty incredible. There is so much great learning material out there that I want (and some of which I have), but this book/series is a real keeper, sort of the backbone around which I can hang a lot of other stuff (FFcP, Suzuki, Ear training, American Fiddle Method, ii-V7-I and jazz, etc.).

If you got the 3rd volume, you could feel good either that you already have mastered that material, feel good that you found the right level for you, or feel good that you already have the next book when you get the previous book.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I used to think there was a lot more guitar material than mando material for jazz/advanced music, but there is enough mando(/violin) material to keep busy for a lifetime, whether you are Chris Thile or just an ordinary Joe or JoAnn.

my $.02

jmcgann
Nov-30-2005, 11:31am
I work on sight reading/technique stuff with:

Klose Clarinet books 1 and 2
Kreutzer 42 Etudes (violin)
Sasche 100 Etudes (Trumpet)
Kayser 36 Studies (violin)
Reading Key Jazz Rhythms (Lipsius)
Jazz Conception (Snidero)
Rhythmic Training (Starer)
Modern Reading Text (Bellson)

It is fun to get away from the strictly mando-based ideas and see what other instruments are up to...

Avi Ziv
Nov-30-2005, 12:09pm
Like John, I've been using Rhythmic Training for years and can highly recommend it. It's good for any and all instruments. In fact, you don't even need an instrument to work with the book. My brother, who teaches drums at the New School, got me on to it.

Avi

Katie
Nov-30-2005, 12:28pm
I started on trumpet when I was a kid. I went through my music ed degree so I attempted to play a lot of band/string instruments and piano. Mostly now I play mandolin, recorders, and sometimes trumpet and cornetto. I consider myself intermediate, but we may have different definitions of intermediate. I can play most contra and english country dances that I run into. I can read a lot of them at a reasonable tempo. Playing chordal accomp. is a little harder because I never had any experience with it until I started the mandolin, but most basic stuff is fine and I'm getting better at playing by ear too. These suggestions are all great.
Thanks!
Katie

siren_20
Nov-30-2005, 1:09pm
Mike Marhall's method books (avaliable through Elderly, I think) are excellent practical resources. I really like the improvisational concepts book he put out, the level of abstraction and the approach is very useful for musicians in any style.
And the Six Sonatas and Partitas are such lovely pieces. It's a refreshing change from the fiddle tunes/jazz/modern mando stuff I tend to play. I find little snippets, phrases and other ideas from Bach influensing my playing more and more from the limited amount of his stuff I've studied so far.
I love the fact that there's this whole renaissance of mandolin stuff going on right now! It feels like we've finally got to that point where there's enough learning material out there that anyone can find a book that fits their musical needs and learning style.

Katie
Nov-30-2005, 1:36pm
Yeah, I got to hear Paul Odette a few weeks ago and thought, "I wanna play the lute next!" Renaissance music is great but I think the species counterpoint might be a little beyond me, and I want to learn some other stuff before I get into figured bass realizations.
-Katie