PDA

View Full Version : Michael Kelly Festival Pack vs. Mid-Mo M-O

zzoundss
Nov-28-2005, 10:20pm
Hi all,

I am just starting out playing mandolin. Which would you say would be a better buy out of the two (Michael Kelly Festival Pack or a Mid-Mo M-0)? This is for Christmas so please respond as soon as possible. Thanks a bunch.

otterly2k
Nov-28-2005, 11:19pm
Mid Mo. It's a plainer look, but IMHO a better quality instrument in general, and they are more consistent instrument to instrument. Will do you well for a good long time, even as you grow as a player.

flairbzzt
Nov-29-2005, 9:32am
Mid Mo is the favorite of most here. Personally, I don't care for them, but they get raves for beginner instruments and are more popular at resale than MK's. If you decide on the MK, I believe Dennis at the Mandolinstore is the only guy who has the festival pack mando with a gloss finish if you like that. The standard is a satin finish.

Eric F.
Nov-29-2005, 11:00am
Mid-Mo.

bjc
Nov-29-2005, 11:54am
As an MK owner I will say the quality varies. So if you can play some MKs, do it, but the Mid-Mo would be the safer bet. Of course if you're playing Blue Grass, you'll be wanting some F-holes...

VictorLouis
Nov-29-2005, 12:48pm
I've only played one Mid-Mo, an M4, IIRC. I felt that it's on the small size, both physically and in terms of volume. I CAN see why it's so popular for the folk and Celtic crowd. Coming from an MK, I felt the fingerboard was a bit tight for my taste.

The MK Festival-F will have a much larger neck and fretboard, and may be more comfortable for you to play. It will more than likely be louder, and probably biased toward that bluegrass tone.

YES, MK quality can vary, but it's simply NOT a concern when you're dealing with a fine retailer like T.M.S. Unlike the big-box e-tailers, he can make sure you get the pick-of-the-litter on hand at the time. Plus, he can play a few licks if you're trying to decide between a couple models.

Michael H Geimer
Nov-29-2005, 2:52pm
" Of course if you're playing Blue Grass, you'll be wanting some F-holes... "

I used to believe that given my experience with my M-11 not holding up in jams. But now that I have an M-0 with a spruce top I'm changing my tune.

I took a newly purchased M-0 (with light guage strings even) to several jams while on vacation. It was trial by fire for the little guy, but he held up *very well* IMHO. At one acoustic jam my friends said my mandolin was the only instrument projecting back to the end of the room.

On the same trip I played my M-0 and also a M-4 next to an Eastman F-style (sorry, I didn't take note of which model). I thought the Mid-mo's were louder and fuller ... those same comments were echoed by the folks listening out in front of me.

Of course, I'm a big Mid-mo fan in general so you could say I was just 'rooting for my favorite team' but I believe what I heard and believe the Mid-mo's are superior in quality ... if more plain in styling.

Go Mid-mo!

- Benig

bjc
Nov-29-2005, 3:14pm
Please don't misunderstand my comment...
" Of course if you're playing Blue Grass, you'll be wanting some F-holes... "

I don't play Grass much. It's just that I've had BG folks look at my oval hole (get your mind out of the gutter y'all) and figure it's not a good grasser...for the small amount of choppin' I do, it works. It just seems that f-holes are overwhelmingly the choice of Grassers.

zzoundss
Nov-29-2005, 3:20pm
Thank you all for the replies. I'm into a bunch of different music styles (Celtic, Klezemer, Gypsy Jazz, Punk) but I think I will go with Mid-Mo. They sound very relliable and since I am just starting out, I rather have a nice sounding durable instrument instead of a fancy one. Next question, where to buy one? I need it by Christmas and heard bad things about Folk Of The Wood. Any suggestions?

DryBones
Nov-29-2005, 3:25pm
Mid Mo Dealers (http://www.midmomandolin.com/dealers.php)

get shopping! FWIW I would also advise against FOTW for now

Michael H Geimer
Nov-29-2005, 4:14pm
bjc,
I hear ya' about people's expectations. I have to play the thing before people take it seriously.

I brought this same M-0 to a casual gig with my band (note: all out gigs are casual). Guitarist Dave took one look at the Mid-mo and said, "Whoa ... for second there I though I'd wandered into a Shakespeare rehearsal!" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

So ... your point is well taken.

otterly2k
Nov-29-2005, 4:25pm
I wandered into an Old Time session with an octave mando once and peoples' reactions really surprised me... some were baffled, some were clearly intrigued, and a couple were quick to point out to me that the IRISH session was the next night.

Really... there are customary instruments for certain purposes, but it's not like it's carved in stone! Strict traditionalist contexts aside, it's the playing that really matters, IMHO.

Michael H Geimer
Nov-29-2005, 5:07pm
(hi-jack in progess)

I once showed up with my Larrivee Dreadnaught at an Old-Timey jam. Ooooops! When the song finished I apologized for the 'big box' while joining the circle. I sat next to the only other guitarist ... she happened to be the Alpha Fiddler who was playing her more appropriate small bodied Gibson because it was the only guitar around ... except for me and my ridiculously huge booooom box.

I followed her chords for a few numbers until she abruptly said, "Well, you've got a good enough ear" and proceeded to put down the guitar and picked up her fiddle.

That was the *only* thing she said to me that day. (I just felt sooooo welcome and warm and fuzzy ... never gone back)

Book Publishers spend a lot of money on those covers ... they know the truth about first impressions.