PDA

View Full Version : Latest Larson work

Jim Garber
Mar-23-2004, 3:12pm
Tony Robson told me about this instrument, when i ran into him in Patelson's in NY a month or so ago. It is finally completed and Daniel Larson (http://www.daniellarson.com/mandolins/baroque_mandolin/neo.htm) witll ship it to him this Thursday when Tony plays in NY. Tony BTW is serious oboist ( well, he does have a sense of humor) who has fallen in love with the mandolin.

Jim

Tom C
Mar-23-2004, 3:19pm
That's a weird looking headstock. It looks like washers were stuck to the sides of the headstock. Is that just decorative?

Eugene
Mar-23-2004, 3:35pm
Yup. #Ivory pips and/or discs were common decor back before mandolins had silly, practical things like tuning machines to get in the way of such lavish, baroque shallowness.

Bob A
Mar-24-2004, 12:49pm
Yow! I had no idea Larson was doing so much decorating! Nothing exceeds like excess, and there's something satisfying in seeing a high-end 18th-century repro tarted up like a high-end 18th-century courtesan. Had I the funds, I'd certainly have one of each.

Jim Garber
Mar-24-2004, 12:54pm
Frankly, I prefer the understated, but I am sure that both are fine instruments.

Jim

Jim Garber
Mar-24-2004, 12:57pm
Dan Larson says on his site:
This instrument is modeled after an instrument made by the great mandolin maker Antonio Vinaccia. The original was made in 1763 and is now in a private collection in France.

Not sure which of these two is the one he is referring to. If one, I wonder what the historic background is for the other.

Jim

RSW
Mar-25-2004, 3:09am
This mandolin (his latest) is certainly a copy of Christian Schneider's Vinaccia. The original is very nice, superb sound but, given its age, a bit problematic to play (intonation, fragile). I have one of Dan Larson's other Vinaccia copies which is also very nice but less decorated. I'm sure this new one, despite the fancy inlays, will be excellent in sound. Congratulations to Tony Robson, I hope he'll let me play it once if I ever can get mon derrière to NYC.

Jacob
Mar-25-2004, 6:51am
VINACCIA, ANTONIO (PROBABLY), Naples, c.1760 (http://www.vintage-instruments.com/photos/23326z.jpg), requires restoration, at Vintage Instruments (http://www.vintage-instruments.com/catalogs/historic.htm#GoToMandolins) - Philadelphia.

Jim Garber
Mar-25-2004, 8:58am
Actually, Richard, Tony lives in the UK and is just playing today in New York. DL is shipping it to him here.

I hope Tony (who tells me is a lurker on this list) will report on his new baby when he gets a moment, maybe between flights.

On the other hand, I still owe you the proverbial cup of coffee in New York, Richard, so yes, get over here when you can.

Jim

vkioulaphides
Mar-25-2004, 9:01am
Brew for two, tea for three? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Jim Garber
Mar-25-2004, 10:17am
Absolutely... time for a mando-gathering, if and when it happens.

Tony R.
Mar-27-2004, 5:21am
Hello Everyone!
(Finally spurred into action by Jim)
The Larson Vinaccia is exquisite.Superb workmanship in every way, the Lute players in our orchestra went bananas!
It has the most wonderful, suprisingly rich ringing sound, (due to the lightness of construction I assume)and all in all I'm thrilled with it! (I honestly never thought I'd ever own anything as beautiful as that.)
Incidentally, Richard, it was Ali Stephens who suggested to me that as you were so pleased with your Larson copy that Dan would be the one to go for. I just hit lucky as he had this one nearly ready. I'd no idea it was going to look like that!
If you're ever in London, Richard,( and I'm often in France) I would simply love your opinion on it. (I've a feeling you wouldn't be disappointed.)
I love the message board by the way! You're all great people, and I learn such a lot by dipping in. Is there anyone out there who can teach me how to acquire 20 years of Mando technique in a very short time? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
All the best.

Alex Timmerman
Mar-27-2004, 7:44am
Hello Tony R,

Congratulations with your Larson Neapolitan style mandolin! It sure looks nice and very well made. Great to hear that it´s sound is also so wonderful.

Best,

Alex

RSW
Mar-27-2004, 3:13pm
Congrats Tony, I would be delighted to meet up with you and, of course, would love to have a go on your mandolin. If you are in France (Paris) around the time of MUSICORA (May 6-10th), I'll be around mostly and will be playing on concert on the 8th (Sat.) with my new Cremonese mandolino (assuming Daniel will have it ready by then, bring it along and that I can get a good feel for it in a couple of days). Otherwise, I have no trips in the near future to the UK though I should like to go later in May.

As for learning the basics, just hook up with Alison, she'll get you going.

Richard

Tony R.
Mar-28-2004, 3:54am
Richard,
It's not the basics that are a problem - I studied Violin at college in my youth and can get around fairly well - it's pick work and velocity I need to improve. I suppose there's just no substitute for the daily grind - or as I say to my Oboe students -"if all else fails - PRACTISE"
(Or perhaps I should get several volumes of Ranieri?)