PDA

View Full Version : Celtic mandolin for beginner

shenanigans
Nov-25-2005, 8:07pm
I am looking at getting my girst mandolin for playing Celtic stuff. I do not know what to really look for except that I was told that I prabably want a solid wood instead of laminate and the cross toner bars (not sure if thats what theyre called?). I was looknig at right around $200 would appreciate any reccomendations as far as makes or models, Im guessing I prabably want to look in the classifieds here or something like that to get a decent one for that price.
Any info is appreciated.

jim_n_virginia
Nov-25-2005, 9:20pm
I started out on Old Time and Bluegrass but have been delving more and more into Celtic music. I play a mandolin more suited for bluegrass and would love to get another for the Celtic music I have been playing which now compromises about 50% of what I play now. Been playing in celtic Sessiun's and even did a few Contra dances and I love it.

Most Celtic mandolin players use a A style oval hole mandolin but I have seen some awesome F style oval hole mandolins in there too.

You could look in the Cafe classifieds or even better eBay if you know what you are doing. $200.00 is not going to buy you much of a mandolin but if you keep a sharp eye peeled and buy a used instrument in good condition I think you can find what you are looking for although you may have to save up a little more.

I personally think the Mid-Missouri mandolin (about $300.00-$350.00 used)is excellent for Celtic music. They are great little instruments, well made, out of quality wood and sound great!

good luck!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

otterly2k
Nov-25-2005, 10:10pm
shenanigans... I second what jim_n says...if you can save up a bit more, it'd be worth it to see if you can find a used Mid-Mo. Watch the classifieds too. $200 is a tough price point.

and whoever told you to look for solid woods and X-bracing also gave you good advice.

Bob DeVellis
Nov-26-2005, 9:54am
I think a Mid-Mo far outstrips anything else in its price range. It's hard to get anything decent for $200 unless you just happen to get lucky. With Mid-Mo, you're assured of quality and you'll continue to enjoy it as your proficiency increases. They have a very nice sound for Irish stuff, too.

arbarnhart
Nov-26-2005, 5:37pm
I am one of the "lucky" ones. I paid about $200 for my Washburn M1SDL and you can easily find them at that price. Mine sounds great and I love it, but I have heard that the quality is inconsistent. The only other owner I have communicated with loves his also. I don't care much for the factory bridge. It is a bit low and when you adjust it high enough it can lean if you aren't careful to keep it centered while tightening strings. I just made my second maple one piece bridge for it. I was a bit sloppy with the first one and while it worked well, it wasn't perfect. The second one is. Now it sounds incredible! But I do believe that they aren't all like this. However, if you can find a store that carries them and has stock to try a few, I would.

otterly2k
Nov-26-2005, 10:39pm
arbarnhart makes a good point-- it is possible to get lucky with an inexpensive instrument... MUCH more so if you are willing/able to tweak it once you get it and improve its sound. Swapping out bridges and tailpieces, adjusting the setup, etc. can make a big difference. If $200 is what you got... do the best you can with it and just get down to playing.

Stephen Perry
Nov-27-2005, 8:20am
Mid-Mo - I used one for a while. Or something like the low end Eastman A w/ oval, the MD504. Or the low end MK oval, which I can't recall playing, but looks right.

8ch(pl)
Nov-28-2005, 7:45am
There's a Gianini flat top in the classifieds at $200.

arbarnhart
Nov-28-2005, 8:23am
That would be ad # 16536.