PDA

View Full Version : Strings for Amana-white Gibson A-3

fatt-dad
Mar-23-2004, 1:13pm
Dear NG,

My last set of strings on my A-3 were silk and steel. I have had them on before and do like them. I want to try something different, and have the calloses (why does that spelling look bad?) to try something other than light or medium light. So, here is the question, would J-74s be o.k.?

Thanks for any advice.

fatt-dad

Potosimando
Mar-23-2004, 9:30pm
I put some J74's on a non-player friend's 1920 A3 with fine results...

...but I put some TI starks (heavies)on my similar Old Wave oval hole and the sweet mellow tone made the hair stand up on the back of my neck--very, very nice (not to mention that these flat-wound strings would eliminate any callouse problem you might have). #Too bad they are so $...but you don't need to change them very often, as I understand it.

P.S. By coincidence the 1920 Gibson was also a "white-face"...not that this matters--kewl looking, to be sure.

Bob A
Mar-24-2004, 12:31pm
I kinda like GHS A-250s for instruments of that era. Calluses will come, but mine are marginal for all that I've been playing for 30 years.

fatt-dad
Mar-24-2004, 1:05pm
Thanks,

I have never tried the T-Is, maybe now is the time for a try. It actually may have been the A-250s that I had used in the past, old age - can't remember. Just to note, we not have three different spellings for calluse, callouse - oh whatever.

f-d

Tom C
Mar-24-2004, 2:03pm
I would still use something lighter than J74's. You won't know that something may be going wrong until it happens. You may just pick it up one time and find something wrong -like sunken top.

danb
Mar-24-2004, 3:34pm
I'd say go with medium gauge too.. j74 is better for a truss rod mando!