PDA

View Full Version : Free fiddle jams & workshops, Groton, MA Dec 9-11

Dave Reiner
Nov-23-2005, 10:06am
Fiddle H e l l is a free, informal gathering of fiddlers to meet, jam, learn, and have fun. Many of us have already met electronically on the online Fiddle Forum. The invention of the late, great fiddler Dale Hopkins, Fiddle H e l l occurs periodically in fun locations worldwide. Prior gatherings have occurred in the US, the UK, and Germany, and some fiddlers come a long distance to attend. The term Fiddle H e l l refers to the Saturday night portion of the program when all the fiddlers play a few tunes in unison.

There will be lots of different styles represented at FH, by fiddlers with a variety of experience. #I expect bluegrass, oldtime, Irish, swing, Cape Breton, Western Swing, and Texas at a minimum. The only "optional but encouraged requirements" are: (1) to play one or more tunes of your choice when we individually play for each other on Saturday night; and (2) to play along during the 30 minutes of Fiddle H e l l where we all play the same tunes together. There are 5 fiddle workshops planned, on bowing techniques, chords, chop bowing, 5-string fiddle, and rags.

There's more info, including the location and schedule, at my website: http://www.reinerfamilyband.com/fiddlehellmassac.html

But where's the mando content, you ask? #Jams with just fiddlers are one-dimensional; we need a few pickers of other persuasions, such as mando players, to join us. #Expect to play a lot of fiddle tunes!

Shoot me an email or PM if you need any more information or to confirm your attendance.

Dave