PDA

View Full Version : my latest acquisition

jeffshuniak
Mar-23-2004, 8:59am
a new one too bad my other pics were too large. I am working on reducing them. ( actually I have had this over a month, but these are the first pics besides the ones the builder took)

Jim Garber
Mar-23-2004, 10:43am
Hey Jeff:
Nice picture, tho it looks like you must be playing a very sad song since your guitarist looks like he might burst into tears.

Do you have more detailed pictures of your mandolin? Is this the one you got from Dinos?

Jim

jeffshuniak
Mar-23-2004, 11:49am
we were playing #gioviale's #"l'ultimo amore" #
everyone was crying by the time we were done, hm, that could have been our intonation though, just kidding
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif # # # I dont know what we were playing... # #

this is a pic Dino took before I bought it. I have some more pics that I am treating... cutting , cropping out people's heads etc...or cutting off people's heads and limbs!!! a carpathian at heart.. arhg.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

Eugene
Mar-23-2004, 2:03pm
Very nice!

Bob A
Mar-24-2004, 12:53pm
A very handsome instrument, for sure. How tragic is it, to be cut off from most of the world's mandolins, because of your sinister orientation?
Glad you're in a position to get a custom instrument.

Jim Garber
Mar-24-2004, 1:03pm
Speaking of things sinister...

Barring the obvious fingerboard extension or the side mounted pickguard aren't these bowalbacks constructed symmetically internally, or am I mistaken?

In other words, if one were to attampt to convert to a lefthand model, wouldn't you just have to deal with the bridge and the nut?

Jim

Bob A
Mar-24-2004, 1:27pm
Some of the bracing is not parallel on some instruments. The two main braces will diverge. (From what little I've been able to determine, this divergence is found in some high-end Embergher and Calace instruments, and possibly some others. Hard to see without xray vision or flexlights and mirrors; hard to see even with them).

jeffshuniak
Mar-24-2004, 2:01pm
you guys know what a sinister instrument is.. yeh Bob, it is sad... I can get just about anything made- if I can afford it,
but I dont get to test the water too much.

I wonder about baglamas and tzouras.. I want to make a normal one turn sinister, maybe, as long as the bracing permits..

or , I'll have to go custom... the usual route since good lefties arent sitting around.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

vkioulaphides
Mar-26-2004, 1:06pm
Well, Jeff, to my knowledge the (Greek) baglamas is so tiny that it only has one, wee little brace supporting the top, counteracting the pressure of the bridge. So, I don't see what else would be needed for a leftie conversion other than the re-stringing; and the concept of the extended fingerboard simply does not exist on long-necked lutes. (Well, in some, "extended" means over the soundboard but certainly not over the soundhole—#you know what I mean.)

How does your new acquisition sound, Jeff? And, what of Sr. Artese?

Jim Garber
Mar-26-2004, 3:04pm
Jeff:
Yes, I, too, am interested in the sound. Also, I can't quite tell from the photo but does that top have a cant? If not, is that common in the Greek style. Come to think of it, do bouzoukis have cants?

Jim

vkioulaphides
Mar-27-2004, 2:48pm
[QUOTE]"do bouzoukis have cants?"

No, Jim, they don't. And the "genetic link" to Greek-type mandolins is self-evident.

Waaaay back when, i.e. when the "Post a Picture of Your Bowlback" was still amongst the living, Bob A wrote an eloquent (as usual) analogy of the freely vibrating, lower part of the soundboard (i.e. between the bridge and the tailpiece) of Greek mandos to the similarly free-ringing drum of a speaker (the electrical appliance, that is). I couldn't have put it better in describing the mechanics involved.

jeffshuniak
Mar-29-2004, 8:02am
I am going to try and post a sample from a song..... in the past I have tried this (different recording), but maybe I will have better luck this time.

jeffshuniak
Mar-29-2004, 8:54am
I have two songs saved in my documents as windows media files. thats all I know... I cant post them...dunno how...

jeffshuniak
Mar-29-2004, 12:48pm
well thats it folks, no one get to hear anything.... I have deemed it "impossible" to post or email these tunes (so you can hear mandolin)

so, if anyone's interested, I'll mail a CD to you.

Jim Garber
Mar-29-2004, 1:13pm
I don't think you can post a media file here -- it is also probably too large. What you sent to me was not a wma file. I am not sure what it was.

Jim

jeffshuniak
Mar-29-2004, 1:32pm
I did convert to a MP3, I think, at least my computer says its an MP3, I also saved a WAV file, and I still have that original wierd one I sent you... I compressed the MP3, not good enought I guess.......

my friend will help me with this later,,,,, we can email it to me from the studio in the correct format... then...