PDA

View Full Version : Are there any <1k F styles worth buying?

gmando
Jan-21-2004, 9:27pm
Just pretend i dont know much about mandolins, which i dont, i have been playing for 2 years and recently got a mid-mo m2 which i like but I am looking for an f style mando with a fuller sound... are there any that are less than 1000$ worth looking at? I'm not looking for the best mandolin in the world, just something that will last me a good 5 or 6 years that sounds good and looks good... thanks.
-g

Crowder
Jan-21-2004, 9:54pm
no.

midmando
Jan-21-2004, 10:03pm
^ http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, Crowder's right. You can do a search for threads on this subject - there's dozens. There are some out there, but not that you'd be happy with for the long haul. However, there are some A styles in that price range that are beautiful and that you (well, I) could be happy with for a long time. For $1000 think sound, not looks.

Jaws
Jan-22-2004, 8:09am
I've only ever seen one. My Dad bought up a F style with tradtitional sunburst finish from a czech builder called Novotny some years ago. It had enough tone & volume to replace the 75 Gibson he was playing. When he upgraded again, the mandolin passed on to me, and I was quite happy to play it for 3 years until I decided to buy a mandolin I could call my own (as opposed to having one on indefinite loan). Had it not been for that (and the fact that I got a good deal on my new mando), I probably would have continued playing the Novotny. But that was bought several years ago, and given the inflation in mandolin pricing, odds are a decent F model under 1000$ would be pretty hard to find. Then again, I'm not an F-style diehard myself... so I don't keep tabs on the market for them
Forgot to say that the finishing was somewhat less than perfect

Lee
Jan-22-2004, 9:23am
I wouldn't say "no" so quickly. If you're willing to gamble on a used instrument by an unknown small builder it is possible. Try before you buy.

jim simpson
Jan-22-2004, 10:29am
About 12 or so years ago I was saving up to buy a good F model. At that time you could get a Flatiron Performer for about $1500. I couldn't seem to find anything used and thought I would need to add more than the $1500 I had so far. Then I spotted a GN Anderson advertised in Bluegrass Unlimited for $1000. After a long conversation with the seller I decided to buy it on approval. I learned on it and kept it for about 10 years and got 1 3/4 times my purchase price when I was ready for something different. I thought I saw one for $1000 recently on the classifeds here. I believe it was a lesser known maker. I think it's worth taking a chance especially with the option to return within an approval period.

JDARTGOD
Jan-22-2004, 11:44am
Yeah, there's a huge jump in price from the starter/mid level mandos to the level you're talking about. You just about have to be in the right place at the right time (with the moons lined up and all) to get what you're looking for at that price range, unfortunately. You're almost limited to coming across a killer deal where the seller doesn't really know what he/she has.

Dec 17th, 2002 was my day for this blessed event. I came upon a deal where a really good Mandolin player back in KY was looking to get cash fast to fund his "Custom" mandolin. So he offered his 1998 Flatiron "F-5 Special" for $1,000.00. The Serial # puts it at Jan 16th 1998 (2nd one of the day from the "line".) Needless to say, I bought it. The more I play it, look at it, hear it and follow the "Flatiron mystique conversations", the more I'm convinced I stumbled on a near once-in-a-lifetime deal. I say "F-5 Special" because that's what the (standard/generic) Gibson Master Model label says on it. Through alot of help and conversations here, discussion with Paul Schneider (Summit Mandolins), Danny (at Gibson), and the Weber folks, it would appear that it's either a Custom model or more likely a hybrid of some sort. Mr. Schneider (who was in Chalie D's position at that time, I believe) said it was probably a matter of Gibson using up whatever stock that was shipped from Bozeman. It has white (yellowed) binding on the top, neck, and headstock only. It has a MOP nut, MOP Flower pot inlay, and "THE FLATIRON" MOP Script inlay. Tailpiece script engraved with "THE FLATIRON". All gold harware with pearl buttons. It has both appointments from the Festival F and the F-5 Artist, so it's believed that's why the "F-5 Special" designation. The burst finish is very tobacco (More Gibson-ish) than the normal Flatiron reddish color. Also the Back and Neck are VERY dark, but still highly flamed. A monster with a sweet voice to say the least.

Didn't mean to drag it on, but the point is, you'll most likely have to stumble across a similar deal or find a VERY superior mid-level instrument to satisfy your financial requirement.

August Watters
Jan-22-2004, 11:45am
"If you're willing to gamble on a used instrument by an unknown small builder it is possible."

The problem is that for the amount of hours required for a small builder to build an f5, a $1000 price would probably be getting the builder less than minimum wage. Still, many builders will sell in this price range at the beginning of their career, to build visibility and get their work out there.

It's easy to complain about a name that's far more expensive than it used to be -- we all know stories like this! But it's just the natural progression of a builder's career, since even a modest living wage means the F5s are likely to be in the $3-4k and above range.

Just one more reason to consider an A5 instead: the tonal differences are subtle; the price differences are dramatic!

August W

pickinNgrinnin
Jan-22-2004, 1:05pm
JDARTGOD-

Oh Sure! You had to bring that story up again you lucky devil http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Greenmando
Jan-22-2004, 2:36pm
There was a used F9 in the classifieds yesterday for $1500. But the best bang for your buck will be a great A style.

gmando
Jan-22-2004, 2:51pm
OK- so new question- whats the best bang for your buck A style &lt; 1K$?? something a little better than mid-mo.

neal
Jan-22-2004, 2:59pm
Look at Breedlove Quarz OF or OO. If you can get over the funky look, they're very nice. There was one in the classifieds for sale at 500.00. The seller is a saint. Otherwise, you can try your luck on an old gibson A-Jr. Then there's the small builders, as mentioned above. Howard Morris makes a nice "A" that you can get made for you for a grand or under.
Happy hunting.
Neal

Scott Tichenor
Jan-22-2004, 3:11pm
I'd invite all of you know-it-alls-my-word-is-the-final-word in this thread to try the $750 Michael Kelly sitting at Mass Street Music right now with a blindfold on and tell me you can't buy a decent sounding F for under a grand. Greatest old world craftsmanship on the planet? No, and two others of the same brand in the store priced at $1K can't touch this one, nor can many of the other production house name mandolins up there that are fetching five times more and up. This one got lucky. Once in awhile, absolutely everything clicks and it works. Rare, yes. Possible to find one? Yes. Tempted to buy this myself and park it next to the Nugget as a reminder to ask myself if the Nugget is really 30 times better sounding and if everyone would agree with that.

Sincerely,
your curmudgeonship hisself

Greenmando
Jan-22-2004, 3:11pm
I picked up a Gibson A9 for $900 that I love as much as my Flatiron Festival F.

SteveW
Jan-22-2004, 3:44pm
Thanks, Scott, for your input. I was haunting my local guitar shop on a regular basis trying out the nice range of mandolins he had in stock -- Breedolves, Rigels, a Holoubek, a few Asian imports, some vintage A-styles. For the prices he was asking, I had resigned myself to plunking away on my little Kentucky 150S for a few more years.

Then he came back from NAMM last fall with several Michael Kelly's. I tried them and wasn't overly impressed -- until I played the Firefly Flame that was in the bunch. I thought it sounded great. A couple weeks later I went back and had someone who could play way better than me try it out. It sounded even better. So I bought it.

You're right, you have to try them out. Don't buy one unheard, but if you're looking for an F-style for less than a grand, don't dismiss them out of hand, either. I'm going to follow the lead of another Mandolin Cafe denizen and get a Sullivan bridge installed. I'm thinking at that point I'll have a mandolin that will give me great pleasure for years until my ability and pocketbook allow me to justify getting my dream instrument (whatever that will be).

mad dawg
Jan-22-2004, 3:50pm
Howard Morris makes a nice "A" that you can get made for you for a grand or under.
Unless he upped his prices, I thought Howard he was selling his unbound F models for $950.

midmando
Jan-22-2004, 4:38pm
Scott, you're right, but like you say, that's luck, and you have to shop around. Ive played dozens of Korean made Ovation guitars - most junk, one beauty. They can be found. Ellen mentioned awhile back a Fender A that she said would blow the doors off other mandos. I believe it. But you can't convince me most Fenders are that good.

I've never played an MK and wouldn't say anything bad about them. But they still wouldn't be my 'first' recomendation for an under 1k mando. Not that I know anything, anyway! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

neal
Jan-23-2004, 7:39am
Mad Dawg, #I got my F for a lot less than 950, but I am at loathe to advertise a lowball from someone just because mine was so inexpensive(even though in a previous post I did just that). #J Mark Lane has (or had) 2 of them for sale for 850 each, and someone recently sold a Morris A for 500. #But I really have no idea what he'd charge for someone who commissioned him to make one. I'm just assuming, and now I know what assu-me means #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

(board wouldn't let me break up that word as I'dve liked)

Stillpicking
Jan-23-2004, 6:41pm
Hey don't get caught up with how much you spend on a mando.
OK; here it goes I am sending this and running for cover at the same time.

I got one of the first MKs out there 2 years ago for $380, yes I took a chance but I also communicated my wants and needs to the good folks at MK . This was before they stop selling direct.
Here is the interesting part I have been playing mandolin since the 70s owned a Gibson "A" 1917 and a few other mandos.
I play once a week with a group of fiddlers and a few other mandolin players, a few who own real $$$$ Gibson "Fs". One guy let me play his Gibson Monroe all night and he played my MK.
I had to ask to get my MK back, not that I didn't want to keep playing the Monroe. I was nervous about holding a $10,000 mandolin. The guy playing my MK liked it alot and we have switched instruments a few more times since, he has several other real $$ mandos. MKs are nowing for about twice what I paid for it. So don't get hung up on how much you spend there are builders & music companies just starting out and you never know what something might be worth in a few years, buy what YOU like and take a chance, try it out if you can and ask question, most importantly ask them on Mandolincafe, you can't find more honest opinons and it is all right here.
Good luck !

Mike McCoy
Jan-23-2004, 7:59pm
You might check out Japanese era Kentucky's. The KM800 or KM850 come to mind. That era and model of Kentucky has potential and those particular models are in the $800 range.

thistle3585
Jan-23-2004, 8:24pm
In the last couple weeks there have been a couple American "handcrafted" mandolins on ebay for much less than 1K. Its probably a shot in the dark, but a couple of them looked good. There are a couple now that are under $500.

Richard Polf
Jan-24-2004, 12:14am
Well, okay, I can't hold back any longer. A wonderful sounding, easy playing mandolin, beautifully made right here in the USA, can be purchased for under 1K. It's called a "Tacoma". IMO you owe to yourself to check one out.

--Richard

crossbow
Jan-24-2004, 2:35am
Michael Kelly Firefly Flame if you change the tailpiece and nut had have a professional set up will satisfy you for a long tome.

elenbrandt
Jan-24-2004, 11:09am
Before I came to Scott's post, I was thinking precisely what he wrote. I have a Michael Kelly solid wood F (okay, so I have one of those damn things...it is my "traveler"). It is a perfectly fine instrument for the price. If worse comes to worse, you eventually upgrade and use the MK as your travel instrument. Don't let the snobs get you down. If you really want an "F" model that is under a grand, get a solid wood MK and have it set up properly. cheers, elen

Richard Polf
Jan-24-2004, 2:20pm
"Don't let the snobs get you down"
# -Elen Brandt

While it's probably going off-topic, I find mandolin players, or at least the ones who participate on this board, the most obsessive and snobbish musicians I have ever come across. This is from a perspective of a life spent in music (B.A.; M.A. in music, commuity college professor, professional performer in classicial, jazz and folk and "old time" styles as a bassoonist, saxophonist, pianist, guitar and, now, soon, I hope, mandolin.) I have never experienced to such a degree this "My instrument is the best and only instrument and by the way if you didn't pay $3K or more for it you just playing a POS" attitude. In comparison, there seems little demand on this board for discussion(s) of musicianship (interpretation, tone production, etc.). I know that it's a matter of priorities, but honestly, in the world I live in most people will never be able to afford a 3K+ mandolin. I think I have pretty darn good ears and I know there are instruments out there for less than 1K that sound and play great. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but, I'm geniunely interested (from a musical/sociological standpoint) in other thoughts as to why this seems, at least to me, to be the case.

August Watters
Jan-24-2004, 3:52pm
Well, Rpolf, if you have that kind of experience in the classical music world, you must be familiar with the price of instruments there -- and the fact that the prices are far higher than here. Professional-level vioiins start in the several thousands of dollars, and symphonic musicians regularly complain they can't afford instruments worthy of their skills. If you're talking basses or cellos or even classical guitars, a decent instrument might start at $5k, and then you'll probably still be buying something considered a "student" instrument.

The affordability problem is serious enough that many major orchestras are endowing instruments, so that they're sure at least the section leaders are playing on first-class instruments. Compared to that, the price of professional-quality mandolins is quite low, and I've seen endless helpful discussions on this board, with people trying to help each other find good quality instruments for less cost.

When I look at this board, I see an endless stream of comments praising the manufacturers who are doing a good job of turning out good-sounding instruments for less than $1000: Breedlove, Rigel and Gibson are frequently mentioned. The MK believers are quite vocal; they're hard to miss. People often sing the praises of Mid-Missouri and Tacoma for making good-quality flat-top mandolins WAY under $1k. And they trade names of small builders who make good mandolins at sell them at fire-sale prices, to get their names out there. Have we been reading the same board?

As to the discussion of hardware over musicianship, the section where this thread is posted is called "Looking for Information about Mandolins," not "Looking to discuss Musicianship." If you scroll down a little farther you'll see quite a few ongoing musical conversations organized by style.

August W

August Watters
Jan-24-2004, 3:58pm
This discussion did not start off to discuss whether there are any good-playing and sounding mandolins for less than $1k; it was specifically about F-style mandolins, and whether it's possible to get a good on in that price range. Looks to me like there are quite a few helpful suggestions in this thread about how to stay under $1k, with or without giving up the scroll.

J. Mark Lane
Jan-24-2004, 8:24pm
Mr. rpolf, I think you are correct to the extent you are saying that mandolin players tend to be more obsessed with instrument quality than many other musicians. But I think your take on it is wrong. I think it is justified.

I have played (on an amateur level, but with some seriousness at times in my life) a variety of musical instruments, ranging from recorders (Moecks, Mollenhauers, Adlers and others in ebony, rosewood and other woods), to piano ("classical" training from the age of 4), to guitar (I own three custom guitars costing over $4k each, one costing $8k), to various other stringed instruments (even the... heaven forbid... b*nj*), and a few reed instruments. I think I can tell the difference.

When I first started playing mandolin, I was fairly impressed with some "low end" instruments. They seemed fine to me. I had little to compare to. As I learned a little more, and came to play some really fine mandolns, I started to understand the difference. (Even my "good ear" and experience with other instruments hadn't given me the basis for understanding in the beginning, with this instrument.) There is a difference, and it can be huge.

Personally, I think Tacomas sound like crap. May as well be plywood for all I can tell. Same with Mid-Mo's and the vast majority of Asian-made instruments. (Obviously, you may find one now and then...) I think it takes a lot of time, a superior understanding of the luthery of the instrument, excellent woods (access to and willingness to use same), a lot of time and effort, and a lot of artistry to make a top quality mandolin. There is simply no way that can be done (at least with a more difficult to construct F) for $1000, on any regular basis, imo. Where you can get the labor that cheap, you aren't likely to find the skills, and the materials. etc.

There is less required to produce good instruments of other types. You can buy a very satisfactory acoustic guitar for $1k (a Martin D16, for example). You can buy a very good one for $2k (an HD-28). The difference between one of those and my $8k rosewood custom is there, but subtle. I know less about classical guitars, but my impression is you can get a very serviceable instrument for $2k. These are all production instruments. It's a lot easier to make a guitar than a mandolin.

So that's why I think mandolinists are more obsessed with the instrument than some. There really is a difference, and it is a very important difference.

Now, whether you or me or anyone else can afford a mandolin costing more than $3k (mine cost under that) is completely irrelevant to the above points. I can't afford a Nugget or Monteleone. I can't afford a Ferrari, either, but that doesn't stop me from acknowledging its superior qualities. I think a fair amount of the negative reaction toward the high cost of mandolins is nothing but sour grapes. I would encourage you to get over it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

MANDOLINMYSTER
Jan-24-2004, 9:13pm
Looks like theres a beginers F mandolin in the classified for under a $1000.00. the seller is looking for about $300.00 bucks. Its probally some ole piece of junk like he says though. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Richard Polf
Jan-24-2004, 10:10pm
August Waters,

Yes, I am very familiar with the situation you describe in the classicial world, and your points are certainly well taken. However, my question was not as to the prices great instruments fetch, which will always be high, but, rather, the attitude of condescension (see below) that seems to exist among some mandolinists, at least as expressed on this board, to those who cannot afford said instruments.

J. Mark Lane,
Your thoughts as to the skills and materials necessary to make a fine mandolin and how those are reflected in the sound of the instrument make a lot of sense and are cogently expressed. But why the personal attack(s) (i.e., "Tacomas sound like crap" and "I think a fair amount of the negative reaction toward the high cost of mandolins is nothing but sour grapes. #I would encourage you to get over it".) Yes, like others on this board, I like to occasionally state that I like the sound and playability of my Tacoma. I don't, however, feel the need to trash other mandolins, since sound, and the perception of it can be highly subjective. As to a "sour grapes" attitude, I simply don't have it, so I can't get over it. I hope to be able to own, in my case, a Collings F someday, and certainly don't begrudge those who have such a fine instrument. #Again, those two statements go to my original #question, why the attitude?

J. Mark Lane
Jan-25-2004, 8:59am
Rpolf, I was merely reacting to your posts. I took your comments (like mando players are "the most obsessive and snobbish musicians I have ever come across") as being a tad bit rude. Maybe I misread you. If so, I apologize.

I also understood you to be suggesting that you are a pro with years of experience in multiple instruments, and that it is pure snobbery to suggest that the low-cost mandos are not good quality. My post was an attempt to say that you are wrong on that point. And to explain some reasons why.

Finally, your comment about "in your world" people can't afford $3k mandos tended to suggest, to me, that what you were really doing was venting. Fine, I am sypathetic. As I said (or at least meant). But the issue of what any of us can afford is not relevant to the quality analysis. That's what I was getting at.

The comment about Tacomas was admittedly unnecessary, and I apologize. I don't like them, but others do, clearly, and may they make wonderful music with them!

Mark

neal
Jan-25-2004, 10:23am
This always happens. #Sad, eh?

"While it's probably going off-topic, I find mandolin players, or at least the ones who participate on this board, the most obsessive and snobbish musicians I have ever come across."

Well, you just have to be there. #Passionate? Yep, they are. Snobbish? # I've been coming here for about a year, and that was my impression, too. #At first. #But most of the folks with rabid opinions really do mean well, and a lot of them #most likely know more than me. #If a new mandolin player wants to start out, a lot of the folks here have been down the Rover/Ebay/$100 Johnson/plywoodpacificrimPOS road and have found it to hamper their progress, thus, NEED to share that with those who haven't been down that road...yet. #

Given a price range, go anywhere, people have strong opinions of what to buy, and what not to buy. #Tell a car forum you have 15000 to spend on a new car, you'll get a few strong opinions on what to stay away from, what to get. And in no uncertain terms from people that may know more than you. #But they're opinions. #I think it's just human nature. Heck, my wife thinks I'm one of the biggest music snobs around, and if I can look at it objectivley, she's right. #

So, yeah, in a sense, JMarklane is right, get over it, but that's not meant in a sassy way. #Shoot, rpolf, #you've been here for a long time, you don't post much, but I expect you read the board for your interests at the time. #I've seen a lot of the older members tell folks to get off their high horse about MKs, MMs, and the lot, just like Scott T. did in an earlier post. #Just like in a real brick and mortar community, at a town council meeting, school board meeting, etc.. Opinions and #strong feelings that there is but one answer.

Call it a plywood aversion.

For the most part, I've found folks here funny, helpful, kind, compassionate, compelling and friendly, and also irritating, snobbish, childlike and rude(on occassion, ahem, Jmark, #), just like a real community! #Don't ya love it?!? #I wouldn't trade it.

Mr. Lane, I couldn't get a smiley face after my comment, so this is in it's stead. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

I forgot, I just read one of Dale's posts in the MK owners, and "curmudgeon" comes to mind, but dang if he doesn't have good advice and funny insights that I look forward to reading.
Geez, I singled out 2 members, sorry guys, but you know I love you, well, like you anyway, and wouldn't want you to change, xoxoxo.

J. Mark Lane
Jan-25-2004, 11:38am
LOL. Hey, Neal, nice post. And I agree wholeheartedly. Even with the comment about me (I know my limitations, and if I didn't my wife would remind me &lt;g&gt;).

Mark

creekwater
Jan-28-2004, 3:26pm
YEP! They are. The best sounding playing mandolin I've played in the past year as far as a F style, was one built by a Mr. C.E. McGee of Kernersville, North Carolina. Looked good, sounded good, played good. I aim to have one myself hopefully before too much longer. Mr. McGee's mandos go for $800-1000 each with hardshell case. He uses curly maple, and good spruce for his mandos, and uses wood for his binding rather than ivroid.

Lee
Jan-28-2004, 5:10pm
Nice refereeing there Neal. (But this is a family oriented discussion board so knock it off with the xoxoxo stuff.) I thought Rpolf's insights were rather fascinating. Being a classicly trained violinist for many years I ran into similar "snobbery" there too. I've contacted violin repair stores that would not even look at my 100 year old Hugo Ernst. I had to hide sheet music from teachers who suggested playing bluegrass would be detrimental to my development as a musician. Musicians who wouldn't consider playing bluegrass on their instrument as if that would harm it in some way. And I've become well aware of the similarity in the price structures of violins and mandolins, and how it's so different from guitar. (Take a look at the prices of violin bows before you buy your next pick!) I'd like to see Rpolf post a thread where we can discuss mandolin snobberry and obsessiveness in more detail. Obviously, taking a close look at ourselves is not expected to be pretty. But, we know we can all get along friendly (unless Neal posts more of those xoxoxo's) so it might be fun and educational too. I'll start; "Hi, my name Lee and I'm a mandolin snob."

THP
Jan-31-2004, 10:53pm
I started out on a Ibenz F-5 copy of a gibson, i think it was a 74 or 75,,not sure, they made a bunch and then discontinued them.
I played it forever..still have it..there was something about the neck that made it so fun to play and want to play all the time.
I had the neck reglued by Randy Wood but other than that its been great...not a banjo buster by any means but a great beginning instrument that will cary for a while. Every once in a while you can catch one on the classifieds of this site.

mrbook
Feb-07-2004, 1:06pm
A few years ago, I bought a used F model by a little known maker from Elderly for $850 (plus a case). I've made a few adjustments (new nut & bridge) and worked on the setup, but I plan on playing it for years. I wouldn't feel the same way about one of the mass-produced instruments in that price range, but I've seen some F models by small makers in the classifieds that I would try if I were looking for another. I also have a A from a small maker that I think highly of as well. If you look for a good instrument and aren't worried about the name there are probably quite a few worth owning. I think you can find a few instruments on the used market that are quite good but lose value because they are not by "name" makers.

neal
Feb-07-2004, 1:25pm
So, Mr. Book, who are these small makers? Inquiring minds want to know...

mrbook
Feb-07-2004, 2:52pm
I guess I could expect to be challenged. I don't know who they all are. My F was made by Bob Hyndman (I finally found out something about him on another thread), the A is by Aaron Cowles, and I'm happy taking either out to play whenever I go. I've got a couple banjos made by people I've never heard of, but I like them and they have enough individuality to attract attention from other musicians. I also own or have owned a few (or more than a few) Gibson and Martin instruments, and they are fine, too.

To me, a good instrument is what pleases me in terms of sound and playability, and one that I enjoy playing. It took me about 35 years to buy a Martin guitar because every time I set out for one I always came home with another I liked more. Nothing against Martin, of course, but there are a lot of good instruments out there. I like looking at instruments by individual makers, and sometimes I have found good ones that seem to be undervalued, especially on the used market, simply because the maker isn't well known. They may not be the next Loar, but that's not the point. They are good instruments that are worth playing and owning. I've seen a couple in the classifieds recently that I would look at if I was in a mood to buy. If you have time and an open mind you will find some decent instruments at affordable prices.

I wish I could name names and help some unknown makers, but I think you have to look around. The big name instruments are always there when you open your wallet, but there is some joy in hunting out ones that you don't see every day. At least it works for me.

Considering the number of high-priced mandolins changing hands in the classifieds, I suspect it's not money that makes someone happy with their mandolin.

Bluemando
Feb-08-2004, 2:18am
I have played some very expensive, very ornate, and very nice instruments in my current state of MAS. I love them all, however, When I went looking to buy, I went for the Michael Kelly. I love my MK. I feel like I got a good deal for the amount I spent, and (as for now) you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Now, that I have said that, understand that the reason I went with the MK was my shallow pockets. I say, If you only have $1000, spend it wise, or wait untill you have more.....you get what you pay for.

Stringbender
Feb-08-2004, 7:22am
neal
Neal

Group: Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, Mr. Book, who are these small makers? Inquiring minds want to know...

They are out there but you have to hunt for them. I saw a young fellow in a band at a fest last summer playing a rough looking mandolin with no name on the headstock. The tone was beautiful and the chop percussive and very loud. I talked to him and found out his mando was made by an old fiddle player/builder. The finish was an orangey varnish, not much to look at and the craftmanship was mediocre. The kid let me play it and it was an easy player and the sound was just awesome. He told me he payed $800 for it. He said the old fellow who made it has been making fiddles for 40 years but only makes a few mandolins. Needless to say I got a phone number and I'm going for a visit.

John Flynn
Feb-08-2004, 8:30am
OK- so new question- whats the best bang for your buck A style &lt; 1K$?? something a little better than mid-mo.
To answer that question, I would add my 2 cents in recommending the Rigel A Natural. They list for $1250, but can be found under a $1K. I think thier strongest point is playability.

Bluemando
Feb-08-2004, 8:44pm
for the "A" type under $1000, look at this.........on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3702775207&category=10179)

Coy Wylie
Feb-08-2004, 10:40pm
PM HappyCamper about the A9, he got one recently and it sounds very nice.

neal
Feb-10-2004, 8:03pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandoJeremy
Feb-10-2004, 11:17pm
Where's Richard?

neal
Feb-11-2004, 6:20pm
Jeremy, who's Richard? And I took your advice.

mandoJeremy
Feb-11-2004, 7:12pm
Oh I wonder!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good call!

neal
Feb-11-2004, 7:31pm
Oh, you mean "Dick"? He's left the building.

flipper
Mar-07-2004, 5:37pm
This seems like the best place to ask my question.....

I also want to get the best mandolin I can for as close to the $1000 or 1000 €uros price range. I'm located in France, but I'll be in East Tennessee and Florida this month. Are there vendors that sell mandolins at the Suwannee Springfest? I'll be there for four days. I'm planning on buying a D-18GE as well while I am in Tennessee. I noticed that there was a Michael Kelly dealer in Pigeon Forge so that's another option. I'm buying the guitar at Ciderville Music. Do they sell mandolins? i'll be playing mostly bluegrass, celtic and folk. i'd prefer an F model, but if it makes more sense to get a great sounding A model then that's what I'd rather do...more bang for the buck. I know that there are a bunch of luthiers here in france, but I think most of their instruments fall into the 3000 €uros or more range.
There are a bunch of Gibson A models on this site:
http://www.rfcharle.com/HTML/ListeA.html

Do the prices seem reasonable or would I be better off just buying when i am in the states?
Thanks for any comments.

flipper
Mar-07-2004, 5:52pm
by the way...playability is a major factor for me. I had an early nineties pre-Gibson FlatIron A model that had no truss rod, high action with tight string spacing that I learned on. Every other mandolin I ever tried to play was much easier than this one.

neal
Mar-07-2004, 7:07pm
Start a new topic, that way no one will have to wade through all the bs on this one. You're in the right place though.

Frank Russell
Mar-07-2004, 7:34pm
flipper - there was an A9 on the Cafe classifieds today - if it's still there, I just got one and love it. And it's at a good price. Frank

Walter Newton
Mar-07-2004, 8:37pm
If by "worth buying" you mean "likely to be as good sounding as an A style I could get for the same money", then no.

Hummingbird_Mandolins
Mar-07-2004, 9:05pm
Go to Hummingbird Mandolins.com (http://www.hummingbirdmandolins.com)

Lee
Mar-07-2004, 9:28pm
Well Mr. Hummingbird, that was a shameless plug. But that's exactly what the fellow inquiring was looking for and another example of why the Cafe is such a great website.
I'm curious to know how you do it for less.

fatt-dad
Mar-07-2004, 10:46pm
Buy a Flatiron A5 and play the HeLL out of it.

All I can say is there is a big difference between a great $250 mandolin and a great $1500 mandolin. I can also say that there is alot of learning that can happen on either.

f-d

proud owner of a $135.00 Aria, $76.00 Yasuma, and several sub-$200 Kentucky, Ibanez and Alvarez mandolins - some are for sale.