PDA

View Full Version : The Spin Doctors

Humboldt
Nov-21-2005, 5:01pm
I just really like this group, and i heard from UMVD that they're playing music again. Of course, none of it is over here on the west coast until New Years in Las Vegas, which I hope to attend if I can round up some friends to split the gas costs.

They also have a new CD out "Nice Talking to Me." It's a nice change of pace back to their original blues/rock/jammy sound that they had back in the early 90s. I did enjoy some of their more "experimental" albums during the mid 90s, but they're great when it comes to straight forward rock tunes with solid hooks.

Their drummer and guitarist are quite good, too. Although he doesn't play the mando (from what I've heard), I appreciate the amount of blues/jam rock licks that he has. Anyone else listen to the Spin Docs?

ira
Nov-21-2005, 11:08pm
used to love the spin doctors, and see them pretty often in nyc. that whole scene was fun. sd, blues traveler, joan osborne (when she was just hardcore blues rock), etc... i wonder which of their songs would sound just right on mando. maybe a version of lil miss....

Christian McKee
Nov-22-2005, 3:17pm
I grew up *loving* the Spins, religiously purchased records, hung posters, did the whole bit. I still listen to their records (particularly Turn it Upside Down, and Homebelly Groove a lot.) I Finally got a chance to see them in person in Portland, OR, last June, and kind of wish I hadn't. Aaron's drumming has lost a lot of it's former flexibility, Eric's playing isn't *nearly* what it used to be, and Chris' antics on stage are so ridiculous, I was doubled over laughing at them (as opposed to with them.) It was one of those moments when your idols become human before your very eyes. My advice for you going into a show: don't expect to be blown away, just go for the chance to see a formerly great band.

Christian

bjc
Nov-30-2005, 12:09pm
I was working in a record store and loved that first album. But I figured that they'd just be another one of those cool bands that would die in obscurity...then Kryptonite broke and their label took ALL the credit for breaking them in "gently"...it was about 8 months after the record was released...the label had just written them off...some mid-west radio station picked up the song and it exploded...the story goes that the band was traveling in a van in Florida when they heard their music on the radio
Big Labels SUCK!!!