PDA

View Full Version : Shops in Nashville

bluegrassdan
Mar-22-2004, 7:38pm
Might be heading to Nashville next month. Anybody recommend any good music shops for mandolins?

Scotti Adams
Mar-22-2004, 7:53pm
Well ...the obvious is the Gibson shops and then you can try Gruhns...although I will never darken the door of that place again....had a very unpleasant experience there....hopefully you can get in and out without a problem.

BigJoe
Mar-22-2004, 10:01pm
Not only can you visit the Gibson Bluegrass Showcase, but if you are here during the week days you can watch them make the mandolins. The Gibson Valley Arts Store is also in Nashville. Lots of Bluegrass Music to hear and play in town. Hope you have a good trip here!

Crowder
Mar-22-2004, 10:11pm
Cotten Music is a good stop to make. Ask what they've got, because it's not all on display.

You'd think that Nashville would have a dozen great acoustic instrument retailers, but if they're there I can't find them.

Rooster
Mar-22-2004, 10:15pm
The Gibson Shop at the Opry Mills Mall is really neat. I had a great visit there recently. Lot's of nice instruments (Mandolins, Guitars, Banjos etc.). The folks were friendly and there are a number of private booths to go into to pick if you're self conscious about others hearing you get into it. It would definately be worth your time to go by there.

Bradley
Mar-23-2004, 7:05am
[QUOTE]The Gibson Valley Arts Store is also in Nashville.

I have never heard of this before? What is it exactly.

I am coming down this weekend and want to hit some new places.I plan on the OAI facility first thing as I havent been there yet....Been to Gruhns and about all of the stores in the area, really nothing spectacular that interests a acoustic player.Also, I always love the Hatch Show Print Store as well.I'd love to decorate the family room with some of the old Monroe and Stanley Brothers prints....OF course I'd have to ask the boss on that http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

cutbait2
Mar-23-2004, 12:26pm
my experience at gruhns was great, played their stock two hours and no one said a word, of course i didn't go to my car and bring in a builders demo in to pass around, perhaps the clerk could have handled it better but i can see his point. its a business not an open air market. i also had a good experience at the b-b-q joint next door.:cool:

cutbait2
Mar-23-2004, 12:27pm
my experience at gruhns was great, played their stock two hours and no one said a word, of course i didn't go to my car and bring in a builders demo in to pass around, perhaps the clerk could have handled it better but i can see his point. its a business not an open air market. i also had a good experience at the b-b-q joint next door.:cool:

Big Joe
Mar-24-2004, 10:26am
The Gibson Valley Arts Store is located on Church Street just off I 65/40. It is about eight blocks from Gruhns. There are about seven hundred instruments on display. They have a fair selection of acoustic guitars including Gibson, Bourgeous, Breedlove, Guild and Takamine. They also have a good selection of Gibson mandolin and banjos and a great selection of electric guitars.

Opry Mills has about eight hundred instruments and in addition to one of the best selection of Gibson mandolins and banjos, we have an incredible selection of acoustics including Gibson, Santa Cruz, Huss & Dalton, Galagher, and Bourgeous. We also have a good supply of electic guitars and custom shop pieces.

Both stores are fun to visit and you can play your favorite instrument. Come to Nashville and have a Blast! If you are here on a Monday or Wednesday there is a bluegrass jam at the Opry Mills store and it is free of charge, open to the public, and anyone can join in. Live long, pick hard, and have fun!

KevinM
Mar-24-2004, 10:38am
I'd head straight to Gibson for the honor of possibly meeting Big Joe or Charlie and playing one of those varnish Ferns. Then the Bar-B-Q, the Station Inn, then ....

Lee
Mar-24-2004, 3:12pm
Silver Angel mandolins
Parthenon replica in Cenntenial Park

Big Joe
Mar-24-2004, 3:57pm
Actually Silver Angels are built in Kentucky. You would have a hard time doing all that in one day if you went to Ken's shop too. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .

Lee
Mar-24-2004, 5:37pm
I qualify as a stupid northerner...

pdlstl
Mar-25-2004, 8:32am
Bowl of chili and a cheeseburger at Brown's Diner.

Thank me later.

Earl

GTison
Mar-25-2004, 11:36am
LAST TIME I WENT TO NASHBURG. I could see the sign for valley arts but I couldn't get there I drove around for a while and gave up. I thought they were just electric. too bad. I've been to gruhns lots. I took my F5L in to compare sound I asked before I did it they didn't mind. I sat and played all I had time for (45 min). I did tell them I was in the market. which I was. I got to play collings, gibson, silver angel, horner, monteleone, webber, and others I can't remember. The gibson factory is also great. though the prices are not but I understand they have to support the dealers. You can play all you want. Cotton was a little more intimidating. cluttered lots of electric stuff and noisey.

Bradley
Mar-29-2004, 9:32pm
Hey Everyone,

We just got back from Nashville...Had a really nice time especially since it was sponsored by the company I work for http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I wanted to drop a quick note for Gruhn guitars.I spent about an hour playing their Collings MF5 Mandolins that they had in stock.I will say that a feller by the name of Billy Jackson was about the nicest salesman I had ever met in a music store.He went out of his way to let me see all the nice stuff they had. So,Scotti maybe you just got them on a bad day??

I absolutely fell in love with the Collings too....So much that the thoughts that I need one are very strong in my mind....Somebody Help Me !!!!

fatt-dad
Mar-30-2004, 8:05am
Well here I am jumping on this thread late in the game, but if I was in Nashville, I would head to Gruhns as well and meet Billy in person. I have bought three mandolins from him and he is great over the phone and knows his stuff. That said, I would certainly be interested in the Gibson Nashville shop as well.

f-d