PDA

View Full Version : Lyon and Healy A

chinatogalway
Nov-20-2005, 4:13am
Here is my new Lyon and Healy, I did have one before and swapped it for an F2 but this girl is very special.

Fretboard is wider than my old one, and feels heavier too but sounds like heavan !

Lyon and Healy standing next to an Gibson...................enjoy ! (http://www.chinatogalway.com/TOYS%20Lyon%20and%20Healy%20A%20mandolin.htm)

Kieron

BlueMountain
Nov-20-2005, 7:48am
Gorgeous! I was familiar with the beautiful front of these, but I hadn't realized what beautiful wood they were sometimes using for the backs.

violmando
Nov-20-2005, 6:11pm
Gorgeous--I'm drooling over both!

JEStanek
Nov-20-2005, 8:33pm
If you could go North to China to the Eastman factory and let them copy that L&H, I sure would appreciate it. Those sure are a beautiful pair.

Jamie

Greenmando
Nov-20-2005, 9:07pm
Let me try this....

http://www.chinatogalway.com/Lyon%20and%20Healy%20and%20Gibson%20F4%20.jpg

http://www.chinatogalway.com/Lyon%20and%20Healy%20and%20Gibson%20F4%20body.jpg

Bill Halsey
Nov-20-2005, 9:36pm
Kieron, congratulations on a very desirable and beautiful long-scale Style A! What is the serial number? I have a similar one, #63.

Jim Garber
Nov-21-2005, 12:23am
I would love to see a closup of that tailpiece cover on the L&H. I have only seen the later style.

Jim

chinatogalway
Nov-21-2005, 3:11am
Bill,
does yours have the same tailpiece as this one? It is very simple with just a very gentle, and small press of the name Lyon and Healy. Not as fancy as the later ones.

manjitsu
Nov-21-2005, 7:39am
I'd be very interested in seeing a closeup of the tailpiece as well... I've had a number of the early long scale L&Hs and I've never seen one. They must have switched to the newer style very early in production, certainly before the #100 mark if mine are any indication.

-Chris Rorrer

EastmanGordon
Nov-21-2005, 10:59am
Kieron,
Eastman is standing ready whenever you are!

All you will have to do is let me have that beautiful mandolin for a month or two........ ahh, it'll never happen. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Gordon

Jim Garber
Nov-21-2005, 11:12am
All you will have to do is let me have that beautiful mandolin for a month or two........ ahh, it'll never happen. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Gordon
Gordon:
I would be glad to lend you my long scale L&H if you would only import some of those Eastman bowlback cases.

ahh, it'll never happen. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jim

Bill Halsey
Nov-21-2005, 4:41pm
Bill,
does yours have the same tailpiece as this one? It is very simple with just a very gentle, and small press of the name Lyon and Healy. Not as fancy as the later ones.
No, mine has the later t/p cover with no cutouts. Oops, wrong s/n -- this one is #682 (sorry, Chris!). An interesting detail is that the finger-rest bears two patent stamps: one reads: "PAT APL'D" and has been filled in with something black; the other, just below it in the usual position, reads: "PAT.11-12-18". This leads me to believe that L&H was using up pre-patent guards, and that this instrument may have been made shortly after the patent grant, i.e., late '18 or early '19. Hey, you L&H connoisseurs...comments?

EastmanGordon
Nov-21-2005, 5:27pm
Jim,
be careful what you wish for because it might come true. I have 20 bowlback cases being loaded into a container in the next couple of days bound for our distribution warehouse in Pomona, California. I doubt that we will have them in time for christmas but it won't be too long after. I am also informed that the Eastman bowlback mandolin is in production and we will have a couple of samples in time for the NAMM Show in January. So there....! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

And you thought I was ignoring you.........

Gordon

Jim Garber
Nov-21-2005, 5:36pm
Jim,
be careful what you wish for because it might come true. I have 20 bowlback cases being loaded into a container in the next couple of days bound for our distribution warehouse in Pomona, California. I doubt that we will have them in time for christmas but it won't be too long after. I am also informed that the Eastman bowlback mandolin is in production and we will have a couple of samples in time for the NAMM Show in January. So there....! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

And you thought I was ignoring you.........

Gordon
I must report back to the bowlheads... I will be right back.

Jim

chinatogalway
Nov-21-2005, 7:58pm
Bill,

An chance of posting a pic of your Lyon and Healy,

I think there was a time when the pat applied stamp was on things and obviously when it was approved then they restamped it. I do love things like that, it adds something special to the instrument for me ! My tailpiece also has 'Pat appl'd'on it.

Bob A
Nov-21-2005, 8:01pm
Interesting . . . the t-piece covers on my two L&H instruments are identical. The actual t-piece on the earlier one (s/n 39) has patent applied for stamped on it; the later (s/n 2349) is more brightly chromed, has some sort of date under the cover, but the patent stamp had not been applied.

Interesting, too, that cases are in the offing. Is there a line?

BTW, Gordon, I have a late, short-scale model A and an early long-scale model B, and I'm down the road in Silver Spring, if you're serious about this. I imagine we could do you proud with instruments to copy.

Instruments to copy? How about Calace, Vinaccia and Pecoraro/Embergher bowlbacks? (To say nothing of Ceccherini, Salsedo etc). Have your people settled on a design for your bowlbacks?

margora
Nov-21-2005, 8:01pm
Gordon: Re: Eastman copy of Lyon and Healy A: I'll buy one. Can't wait to see the Eastman bowlbacks.

Bill Halsey
Nov-21-2005, 8:50pm
Bill,

Any chance of posting a pic of your Lyon and Healy,

I think there was a time when the pat applied stamp was on things and obviously when it was approved then they restamped it. I do love things like that, it adds something special to the instrument for me ! My tailpiece also has 'Pat appl'd'on it.
Here it is...
(This t'pc bears the "Pat. Apl'd For" stamp, as well.)

Bill Halsey
Nov-21-2005, 8:53pm
And the reverse (#682):

JEStanek
Nov-21-2005, 9:09pm
I sure hope Gordon is serious about an Eastman bowl and maybe getting a Lyon & Healy A style copy. My money is on the barrel head for that! Not to take away from Kieron's beautiful instruments. I doubt my finances will afford the real deal (or the Rigel copy). an Eastman, I might be able to swing.

You guys know how much I love my Eastman F4 style but, I gotta admit, the pinacle of beauty to me, is the L&H style A with the violin headstock. Kieron's killing me by having both. Lucky man!

Jamie

keef
Nov-23-2005, 11:18am
Kieron - that tailpiece cover is exactly as on the 1916 patent drawing. Your mandolin must be a very early one - are you willing to share the serial number?

I guess yours does not have the pullout knee rest like other very early A and B styles..

chinatogalway
Nov-23-2005, 7:44pm
I think serial numbers are best talked about and not posted, it is an early one. I haved seen the 1916 patent drawing and would love to see it. Maybe you could e-mail it to me?

It does not have a pull out leg, but I thought the leg was only made in 1918-1919, and very early and later models did not?? Is that correct??

Jim Garber
Nov-23-2005, 8:06pm
I thought the leg was only made in 1918-1919, and very early and later models did not?? Is that correct??
My symmetrical A has the pull-out leg but it lost its rubber end so I have not figured out how to pull it out.

Hubert (Keef) BTW is the keeper of the serial number list as well as an expert on these wonderful mandolins. You two should PM offlist so he can include yours in the list.

Speaking of which, if anyone knows of a good L&H mandocello, I have a friend who is seriously looking. Contact me offlist.

Jim

keef
Nov-24-2005, 9:45am
Thanks Jim - I don't consider myself an expert on these...just happen to have noted particulars and serial numbers of a large number of Washburn and LH instruments. I've only held and inspected a few carved top L&Hs.

Kieron - the knee rest was featured on all but a few of the earliest A and B mandolins between 1917 and 1923, with some exceptions - I guess that a few may have been custom ordered without it. Also a number of late 1920s instruments - among them a mandola - again have knee rests.

BTW - if anyone has a Style A mandolin from the Tonk Bros era - in which case Tonk would be listed on the label - please let me know. I have never seen one, although they were catalogued until the late 1930s.

Hubert