PDA

View Full Version : Bill Davis Flattop Mando..

telepbrman
Nov-19-2005, 7:04am
I have never played one, anybody have a review of how she handles? Thanks, dy.

Scott Tichenor
Nov-19-2005, 9:16am
I have one. Afraid an A model flattop mandolin under $1K isn't going to generate a lot of buzz in this world of pricey and flashy mandolins, but my opinion is that this particular instrument of Bill's is unparalleled in our community. A ton of quality sound out of a modest looking instrument with light gauge strings. Superb workmanship and playability. But I've said all this before. Several existing threads on this where others have voiced their opinion and here are pictures of mine (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=15&t=22637).

Another thread (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=13&t=28240)

8ch(pl)
Nov-19-2005, 1:10pm
Mid Missouris cost less than 1K. If the Davis is as good as one of them, it is good indeed.

Scott Tichenor
Nov-19-2005, 1:43pm
Nothing against Mid-Mo, and everyone will have their own opinion, but I've played enough of them to state emphatically that the Davis is clearly in another league in terms of sound, quality of workmanship, materials and playability. Difference is you can get a Mid-Mo for something like $400 probably, but I'll leave it at that.

Dfyngravity
Nov-19-2005, 2:04pm
I have actually played the one Scott has. I bought it, but sadly returned it. I was looking for a particular sound, mainly the sound an A4 carved mandolin has so I bought the mandolin from Scott hoping this would be what I was looking for cheaper that what I can buy an A4 for. I have played many flattop mandolins, and this was hands down the best I have played. My friends in the band I play with were taken by surprise of the volume that darn mandolin produced, like Scott said to me, how Bill gets the volume out of that mandolin is a puzzle. We play acoustic music that combins classical, jazz and a little bluegrass, the sound was just not everything I was looking for. I hated to return it to Scott because I loved the mandolin, but I was after a certain sound and I am still looking to this day.

Any how, I can't believe more people haven't player, heard or own one of these babies. For the money, it hands down one of the best deals you will find in the world of custom mandolins.

jim simpson
Nov-19-2005, 3:47pm
I am struck by the beauty and simplicity of this instrument. I feel MAS kicking in again!

Eric F.
Nov-21-2005, 11:49am
I own a Davis flattop. I've owned two Flatiron pancakes and one Mid-Mo. I've also played a lot of different Mid-Mos. I agree with everything Scott said. Every time I play the Davis I smile. It pumps out a lot of what Scott called "quality sound."

pickinNgrinnin
Nov-22-2005, 1:03am
I played another Davis Flattop at Mass Street Music last week. Very nice mando. Wonderful tone and playability.

While there, I also played a Davis F5 that had some serious killer tone. What a beauty.

Great stuff is rolling out of his shop.