PDA

View Full Version : An old framus

major brown eye
Mar-22-2004, 4:17pm
Previously posted on "post a picture" board.

I am trying to find a bit of info about my instrument, I wonder if you can help? Or can point me in the right direction to find out?

I have attached a couple of photos and will tell you what little I know.

It is a Framus (label inside), I believe they went out of business in 1970. Slightly arched back. F holes. All original except the pickup(s) which are 2 precision bass pickups wired as a humbucker, the original would have been lipstick style. The tailpiece is very heavy and can take both ball and loop end strings. The label is somewhat faded but says:

Model: 78 D 042
Serial number: blank
Tested by: 02307

I have only seen a few others, one owned by a friend had teardrop holes, original pickup and a logo on the headstock, but a more modern tailpiece.

I bought mine from an instrument dealer in London England in 1990 and have played it a lot since. Unplugged it is a little quiet but incredibly loud when amplified, if a little heavy on the bass.

I am curious as to its age and I suppose a rough idea of value would be worth knowing. Although I have no wish to part with it.

Any help you can provide will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Tim

major brown eye
Apr-09-2004, 9:21am
Also any advice on machine heads for this baby? I gigged it last night and spent more time tuning than playing!!!!!!!!

morganpiper
Sep-15-2013, 12:27am
I searched here on the forums, there was quite a bit of info, not all favorable, but definitely some info on worth and how to modify it. It would be worth doing a little work on, as some of the folks say they have a very nice sound with a little bit of effort. I think framus went out of business in '75. Hope this helps, if you decide to part with it, let me know. Cheers, Brett.
p.s. What's your bands name?

Jim Garber
Sep-15-2013, 10:52am
I think framus went out of business in '75.

True but the company/brand was revived in 1995 as part of Warwick (http://www.warwick.de/en/Framus-Startseitenmenu.html). I don't think they make mandolins, tho.

EdHanrahan
Sep-15-2013, 11:43am
Also any advice on machine heads for this baby?

Measure the post-to-post spacing very carefully, then look up mando tuners at Stewart MacDonald (stewmac.com, I think). Hopefully you'll find one that has the same screw hole pattern. There's probably no need to change the metal ferrules around each post head.

But first, some advise from Cafe member Paul Hostetter...
http://www.lutherie.net/tuner.maintenance.html

Bill Snyder
Sep-15-2013, 12:15pm
Morganpiper the last time the OP logged into the Mandolin Cafe was about 9 1/2 years ago (April 13, 2004) I doubt they will respond to your queries.