PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Weekend

John M. Riley
Nov-16-2005, 6:44pm
Anyone besides me going to Myrtle Beach for the Thanksgiving Bluegrass Festival?

AlanN
Nov-16-2005, 6:50pm
Ya know, that festival ALWAYS has a killer line-up, and I'm only in NC, but never have gone. I need to http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

mandolin123
Nov-16-2005, 10:32pm
Wentr there several years ago and had a ball. Jamming was excellent in the back behind the stage area.

John M. Riley
Nov-17-2005, 10:21am
Yes, I think the line up is always one of the best. But I often jam alot more than I watch the shows. Ive been playing mandolin for 3 years now, so maybe now I can hold my own in the jams better.

AlanN
Nov-17-2005, 10:32am
Where exactly is this in Myrtle Beach?

Russ Jordan
Nov-17-2005, 5:16pm
Myrtle Beach Thanksgiving Fest is at the convention center. Jamming is Unless things have changed, the sound in the concert area is about as bad as you can find.

AlanN
Nov-17-2005, 6:24pm
Actually, I may be thinking of Jekyll Island as the T-Day festival.

barry k
Nov-18-2005, 10:20pm
Im going on thursday...South Carolina!..I'm looking for some old friends there! The Jekyll Festival is on new years ...s. georgia....same promoters...ususally close to same lineup

AlanN
Nov-23-2005, 6:54am
So, what's the jamming scene like at the Convention Center? Are there rooms? picking areas? Thanks.

barry k
Nov-23-2005, 5:39pm
Alan, it has been a few years since I have been there , but in the past the festival is separated into 2 different sections...1 for the concert area , other for the pickin, and vendors and such...there were some partitions here and there but mostly open. As I recall really good pickin though!...maybe see ya there?...I will be the one with the "A" model with the hot rod flames on it.

AlanN
Nov-23-2005, 6:45pm
Thanks, Barry. I'll look for ya, that mando should not be too hard to spot! I'll be there wit mah bound sound hole gilly.

John M. Riley
Nov-27-2005, 4:25pm
AH HA, I saw the mandolin with flames on it... you probably didnt notice me, I was carrying a green calton with a rattlesnake mandolin in it....i just walked around a jammed with some various groups...

AlanN
Nov-27-2005, 7:11pm
Barry indeed has a cool mando, and it sounds pretty good. The festival was neat, it was my first time there, so wasn't sure what to expect. Sound was poor, I thought. Jamming was pretty good for a winter time fest.

The bad thing, of course, was Earl falling off the stage. Apparently, he thought there were some steps that were not there. He cut his head, but I understand he's relatively ok.

barry k
Nov-27-2005, 11:33pm
Alan, was a real pleasure to meet you, your a great picker and singer.. loved your mandolin. I looked at the morning paper in M.B...they said Earl is ok...as per his son, and that he will be ok in the long run, Thats a good thing. Come down and see us sometime. Traditional, sorry I missed meeting you, I saw you carrying the green case, then later on heard ya in a Jam, good picken. If you see me again.. come and shake hands...we will talk mandos...

John M. Riley
Nov-28-2005, 3:01pm
yeah if id known you was from the cafe i woulda said something.......i just kept thinkin that i had seen that mando somewhere before...there was an older guy there jammin....he let me play his old gibson...he said it was a loar but i cant figure out if it was or not....

John M. Riley
Nov-28-2005, 3:04pm
and as for earl scruggs....that tore me up to see the fellow laying on the floor bleedin

i thought it killed him at first.....I was about to leave and drive my 8 hours back home right when he fell...it was a bad thought to leave on