PDA

View Full Version : latest mandolin projects

WoodyMcKenzie
Mar-22-2004, 12:50pm
I finally spent a day setting up some webpages to show my two latest projects-- my redwood topped/spalted maple mandolin and a redwood/western maple octave mandolin. There are photos and soundfiles on both pages. Please check them out if you have time and offer advice/comments/criticism.

Thanks!

Woody

http://www.mckenziemusic.com/twopoint.htm

http://www.mckenziemusic.com/octave.htm

John Bertotti
Mar-22-2004, 3:43pm
I love that spalted maple and the redwood top is gorgeous. It clinches the fact I gotta get some from Spruce. I also would like to hear a little more treble and wonder if different tone bar material would fix that up. All in all two thumbs up, excellent and even without the cutting treble, I love the sound. I hope someday mine will sound as good. John

WoodyMcKenzie
Mar-22-2004, 4:26pm
One other idea that I would like confirmed is that if you build the body larger (and this twopoint is both deeper and wider (in the upper bout) than a normal mandolin), then are you likely to lose treble or "punch"?

Woody

PCypert
Mar-22-2004, 6:23pm
I love the two point. Very interesting design. What's the sound like on it? Are you going to make more? Thanks,
Paul

John Bertotti
Mar-22-2004, 7:49pm
Woody, Dave Cohen replied to a similar question a couple years ago unfortunately I don't have the reply. I lost a lot of good mando topics with a computer crash. Maybe someone still remembers the answer. John

WoodyMcKenzie
Mar-23-2004, 7:14am
Paul said
"I love the two point. #Very interesting design. #What's the sound like on it? #Are you going to make more? "

You can hear a sound file of me playing it at the website. If I make another, I will try a shallower body. Overall, it has a good bassy chop but not a "chirp", if you know what I mean. After using both western red cedar and redwood for tops, I believe they are fine for mandolin tops, especially if you like a warmer tone. I have more mp3s of this mandolin and if you like, I can send them to you directly-- you should be forewarned that you would also have to hear me singing. ;-)

If you would like to hear what my Sttewmac that has a western red cedar top and is braced "ala Cohen", then go to one of the sites above and check out my other projects.

Woody