PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass Lick Help

Mandolinespieler
Mar-22-2004, 12:31pm
I bought back a few years the Mel Bay "101 Hot Bluegrass Licks" book. Has anyone found this to be a helpful book? Its hard for me to see if this is a good book or not because I know no other mandolin players and have no wisdom of such matters to be passed to me. My brother-in-law has a book by Tony Trischka for the 5 string. Is there a similar indepth book that goes step by step in helping teach licks to the learner for the mandoliner? I am also have difficulty understanding howe exactly to use licks in playing. Any help here will be GREATLY appreciated.

cutbait2
Mar-22-2004, 1:21pm
the book/cd/dvd/video list has grown about as fast as the number of builders. having a couple friends and myself who bought alot of this stuff I've seen most of it and have a couple favorites, Roland Whites cd/tab and RMcCourys video/tab. at some point you really need access to other players, where are you located? i think almost every state has a BG association/festival, etc

Coy Wylie
Mar-22-2004, 1:27pm
The Sam Bush 6-CD/book set really helped me when I was starting out. I echo cutbait2's suggestion of getting wtih other pickers if at all possible.

Tom C
Mar-22-2004, 2:30pm
I have Joe Carr's 60 hot licks. Thanks for reminding me http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
I've used it when I needed to work up a 2nd or 3rd break. I will use it to look for something cool sounding that I can substitute in for a couple of measures.

Mandolinespieler
Mar-22-2004, 3:46pm
I am in NW Louisiana. There isn't a very big bluegrass scene, that's why my in-laws and I are hoping to start our own group once we (if ever) get better than we are now. We do have fun though working through songs. Does the Roland White (and other methods mentioned about) Cd/tab have licks specifically on it without a bunch of songs to walk through. I'm trying to build my vocab of musical phrasing so that I can learn to improvise and come up with my own breaks in the future.

Coy Wylie
Mar-22-2004, 3:53pm
Joe Carr and some others are going to be putting on a Bluegrass camp near you in Hope, AR this summer. Do a google search for details.

Tom C
Mar-22-2004, 3:54pm
Joe Carr does 60 licks in 60 minutes (the name of it too). He basically just plays one lick after another. I really have not watched the tape as the tab is just fine. Most of them are about 4 measure riffs.

Mandolinespieler
Mar-22-2004, 7:47pm
Are there any good books just about Bluegrass licks for mando?

Coy Wylie
Mar-22-2004, 10:16pm
Mandolinespieler,

Where are you in NW Louisianna? My wife is from that area and I am from East Texas. Checkout CampBluegrass (http://www.campbluegrass.com)which will also hold a camp not too far north of you at Hope, AR. The lead instructor is non other than Joe Carr. He can show you those licks in person and you could also meet a lot of pickers from that area. Even if you can't do the whole camp you might be able to go up for a day. Email Joe via the site and ask about that.

Mandolinespieler
Mar-22-2004, 11:42pm
I am in Shreveport. I just checked out the link about Camp Bluegrass and might be able to attend. That is still tentative as I might have a test on the 28th. The tuition is kind-of high for a newly-wed med student. What exactly can I get from an experience like this? Even though I have had a mandolin for at least 4 years, I still feel like a beginner. Are there classes for beginners?

Coy Wylie
Mar-23-2004, 12:18am
Yes, according to the website there are groups for beginners, intermediates and advanced players. I've not been to one of these yet but hope to go to the one at Joe's home campus in West Texas.