PDA

View Full Version : Flatiron Festival Question

Mikey G
Nov-14-2005, 1:28am
I've seen a few pictures of some really nice Nashville Flatirons lately, and have a question. I have a 2001 Nashville made Flatiron Festival that has 29 frets and has a triple bound top,(white/black/white). It looks just like a Gibson F5g, except with the "The Flatiron" on the head stock. All of the flatirons I've seen from Nashville have the single binding and 24 frets. I've heard the F5g and Flatirons made in Nashville were pretty much the same instruments, but this one appears to be identical to a F5g, except for the finish. When I bought this one, there were four others to choose from, but they all had the single binding and 24 frets. Were there many of the Nashville Flatirons that were made with triple binding and the extended fret board, with 29 frets, and if this was common in the Nashville built Flatirons?

pickinNgrinnin
Nov-15-2005, 10:00am
That's the first I've heard of a triple bound 29 fret Nashville Flatiron Festival. I've owned 2 of these and played many more but they all had single binding and the Flatiron style fretboard extension.

Yes, the F5-G's and the Flatiron Festival out of Nashville were the same instruments minus some cosmetic differences - like the ones you are finding on your "Flatiron." Maybe yours is more an F5-G and less a Flatiron!

Most unusual. Sounds like an F5G with the wrong headstock inlay. What color is the burst?

KevinM
Nov-15-2005, 12:09pm
I also had a theory that Nashville F5Gs with perceived cosmetic issues were re-dubbed "Flatirons" at some point in the proceedings. I'm going home to count my frets on mine (I'm pretty sure it's the shorter, 24 fret version).

ronlane3
Nov-15-2005, 2:17pm
Mikey,

Could you please post a picture. If these are rare, I'd like to see one to know what I'm looking for.

flairbzzt
Nov-15-2005, 6:51pm
Sounds like a job for Big Joe.......

Mikey G
Nov-15-2005, 11:24pm
I'd love to post some pictures of this Flatiron, but will need to get some info as to how to post a picture; surely it can't be too difficult.
As far as the appearance, it looks like a typical Flatiron, but is vey dark. It has beautiful flamed wood, is triple bound, and has the 29 frets. It is a great sounding mandolin, which is its best feature!
I'll try to get a few pics posted this weekend.

Big Joe
Nov-16-2005, 1:03am
I really can't answer his question off hand, but I can say that no F5G mandolin became a Flatiron because there was a problem with it. It was designated a Flatiron from the start. We do not make seconds and if we have one that cannot pass inspection it goes to a band saw, not to the Flatiron pile. The headstock overlay is done quite early in the process and the bodies are chosen for model production from the start. We don't alter them after production has begun because it will not qualify for the original model.

Ken Berner
Nov-16-2005, 8:59am
Joe's explanation is the definition of INTEGRITY; strict adherence to the product standard. That is the only way to go in order to assure customer satisfaction, folks!