PDA

View Full Version : Tailpiece Problem

Jaded
Mar-22-2004, 12:16am
Recently put a new set of strings on my Gibson F5G, it has the stock tailpiece on it and is about a year and half old or so.

As I was tuning the e string it seemed to pop, but what actually happened was the little hook on the tailpiece bent up to the point that the string popped off.

I figured maybe this was a result of not using the "proper" hooks for the treble side strings, but I noticed the hooks on the bass side appear to be pulling up as well.

I more or less have plans to replace the tailpiece with an allen or similar style at some point anyway, but I'm curious to know if this is something that just happens or some potential problem that I should be looking out for?

I'm currently using medium gauge elixers and have used the sam bush monels and d'addario flat tops in the past.

sunburst
Mar-22-2004, 12:26pm
That's a common problem with the Gibson style tailpiece. It usually takes a few more years to show up tho. It's caused by the bend used to form the little fingers that hook the strings ( a bend can weaken the metal) and the direction of pull exerted by the strings relative to the plane of the metal in the tailpiece.

Since I have tailpieces for sale I'll sign this post as:

John Hamlett, maker of mandolins and tailpieces etc.

Jaded
Mar-22-2004, 2:04pm
Well since you mentioned it...what sorta tailpieces do ya have for sale?

I had an Allen TR on my breedlove that I really liked, but I've been shopping around for other alternatives. The only other one I've tried is the Price and I didn't like it because I never could get the hang of putting the strings on the hooks.

Tom C
Mar-22-2004, 2:23pm
That happened to me on my Flatiron a coupleof years ago. But the finger thingy actually broke off. I got a new tailpiece pretty cheap.

John Flynn
Mar-22-2004, 4:11pm
I have had that happen also. I just bought a replacement tailpiece and used the old cover. Those Gibson-type tailpeices are really crummy, if you think about it.

wah
Mar-22-2004, 4:37pm
That recently happened to my Pomeroy - the g-string hook broke (I know how that sounds but let's keep our minds on mandolins). Don was going to send me another one so I asked for one with the lady-on-the-swing cover. I also decided to upgrade the bridge (Don makes his own bridge with a bone saddle). #13 is the first with the Pomeroy name so didn't have these upgrades. Since I needed some neck work done on it I just sent it to him. I miss her, but she'll come back better than ever. All because that little hook broke.