PDA

View Full Version : Mid Missouri Pickguard

8ch(pl)
Nov-11-2005, 11:05am
These are photos of the pickguard I made for my Mid Missouri. I hope it works.

http://community.webshots.com/myphoto....=kZtLeR (http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=502028815&photoID=502029868&security=kZtLeR)

8ch(pl)
Nov-11-2005, 11:12am
Yup, it does. The light coloured one is Cherry, the colours have been altered. The piece of wood along the side is sanded to fit into the groove under a Mid Missouri Fretboard with a friction fit.

The Ebony version is flipped over to show the self adhesive cork disk. This is positioned over the X brace to hold the unit above the top so it does not touch.

The third picture is my instrument with the pickguard attached.

It was easy to make. I wet sanded the unit with 400 Silicon Carbide paper using lemon oil as a lubricant. The oil is driven in to the wood. A coat of lemon oil once in a while is all it needs.

Thanks

steve V. johnson
Nov-11-2005, 11:38am
Maybe it's just me... the link goes to a generic 'my photos' page. I couldn't figure out how to get to yours...

Sorry, I'd love to see your Mid-Mo Mod... <G>

stv

8ch(pl)
Nov-11-2005, 1:47pm
I have reposted them, sorry about that.
www.accesswave.ca/~gsimpson
Hope this works, click on each photo separately and each picture will open in a new window.

8ch(pl)
Nov-11-2005, 1:49pm
Try :

Http://www.accesswave.ca/~gsimpson

aries753
Nov-11-2005, 3:27pm
Glen,
The ebony guard looks really nice.
Did you also make your armrest? I a Siren armrest on my Washburn but it really didn't fit my M2. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

8ch(pl)
Nov-11-2005, 5:31pm
The armrest is from Cumberland Acoustic. I don't know how much change it has made in the sound. It helps keep the top cleaner.

Richard Russell
Nov-11-2005, 5:57pm
I like it Glen! #Very functional and adds even more of the "old world" character. #Looks a little more like an Italian styled instrument, I think. #Very nice. #Your Mid-mo has all the extras, all very nice and tastefully done!

8ch(pl)
Nov-11-2005, 6:47pm
I can't afford to get much more in the way of an instrument, so I have tried to make this one the best I can. I really love this instrument.

steve V. johnson
Nov-12-2005, 2:41am
Hey, there's no shame in Mid-Mo's! Sweet! I like the way the curve on the front edge goes the other way from the body edge.
Nice!

What did the cast tailpiece do for the sound, anything?

Thanks!

stv

8ch(pl)
Nov-12-2005, 11:12am
I've posted ad nauseum on that...so what's one more time. Sustaain is much improved, tone not too different to my ear I think it is a bit louder. The last statement is a bit iffy. I of course put brand new strings on when I changed the tailpiece. I also had no tailpiece for a day or so. This was because I had to make a pine shim to go under the part of the tailpiece that is supposed to rest on the top. The holes lined up fine, but there was a gap of about 1/32" more or less. I felt that doing this was preferable to plugging the screw holles and redrilling.

I agree with what you say about the Mid Missouri Steve and I am not apologizing for what I play. I am an amateur folk musician. About 3 years ago I met a very talented Australian on vacation with his equally talented family. He had a Gilchrist A which he said was ordered back before Steve Gilchrist was commanding what his work merits today. This was probably the nicest mandolin that I have ever played and the nice thing about it was that it's owner was humble about having it.

steve V. johnson
Nov-12-2005, 12:08pm
Hey Glen,

Sorry about the tailpiece redundancy... I can't keep straight who's commented and who hasn't. Clearly it's a 'live' concern for me... <GG> Thanks for your patience in writing it again.

One day I'll pick up a rosewood Mid-Mo and trick it out. I have a bunch of ideas for one, that I'd like to try out.

stv

billkilpatrick
Nov-12-2005, 1:36pm
i was prepared not to like it ... but it looks really good. complimenti.

- bill

8ch(pl)
Nov-12-2005, 3:14pm
Thanks Bill

8ch(pl)
Nov-12-2005, 8:38pm
Steve, I was meaning that I have posted a lot about the tailpiece and that others may think it was too much. I wasn't offended that you asked.

8ch(pl)
Nov-13-2005, 6:46am
If you look again at the image of the mandolin top you can see the picks down by the tailpiece. They are resting in a rubber device called a "Wedgie". I bought it at a local music store, but I don't know who makes it. It is set between 2 strings, turned 90 degrees and slid back until tight. It is handy for holding picks, but they do fall out easily.

The picks are a Golden Gate "Dawg" type and a Clayton. On the Clayton you can see another little innovation of mine. It is a 1/2 inch disk of sandpaper held in place by double sided tape.

I took a sheet of 240 grit silicon carbide paper and covered the back with double sided tape, leaving the tape's paper backing in place. I use a 1/2 inch textile punch, like a tent or sail shop uses to cut holes to install brass grommets. I punch the disks out to the tune of 250 to 300 to a sheet. Remove the backing, position the disk and press. it will stay on to the life of the pick.

The abrasive disk helps to keep the pick from rotating while I play. I have given away far more than I use.

Have a good one.

jim_n_virginia
Nov-13-2005, 9:56am
As a former Mid Mo owner I was also prepared to not like it but.... I like it! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Looks good on the instrument and it makes me wish I had kept mine when I traded up for a f-hole mandolin.

I am playing a lot of Celtic now and it would have been perfect for that.

happy picking! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

steve V. johnson
Nov-13-2005, 11:58am
Glen wrote: "Steve, I was meaning that I have posted a lot about the tailpiece and that others may think it was too much. #I wasn't offended that you asked. "

Thanks, I wasn't either. #<GG>

That's a -great- pick-holding trick, too! Thanks for sharing that!!

stv