PDA

View Full Version : adjustable truss rods

mandobob
Nov-11-2005, 10:36am
Am I the only one? It is nearly impossible for me to buy an instrument without an adjustable truss rod.
I worked in a repair shop that serviced mostly guit@r$, and I admit the physical properties are different when applied to a mandolin, but so many times that adjustment made a huge difference.
I'm shopping for a mandola or possibly a OM, and I find myself balking at ones without access to the rod.
I'm I paranoid, or IS everyone out to get me??

sunburst
Nov-11-2005, 10:45am
We're all out to get you!

Actually, I understand your concern. I've done repair work for many years, as well as building. Non-adjustable necks can be really frustrating. I put adjustable rods in my mandos, and virtually never have to adjust them, but I sure like knowing they're there if they ever do need a tweek.

On the other hand, if you find an instrument that you like, but it's not adjustable, I think you should not rule it out for that reason alone. A good, stable neck with CF should remain playable under all normal conditions. It's just not adjustable.

Chris Baird
Nov-11-2005, 11:01am
In my mind an octave mandolin really should have a truss rod. A mandola is a bit of a risk without one. A mandolin does just fine without.

otterly2k
Nov-11-2005, 11:07am
I wouldn't get an OM without one. the longer the neck, the more important this is.

mandobob
Nov-11-2005, 11:28am
While I was shopping I found the MidMo mandola has a non-adjustable rod, and that their OM has an adjustable one.
I had for a brief time one of David Freshwater's wonderful OMs
and found that he uses a non-adjustable rod also.
I'm big on tweaking and have seen the horrors of neck resets upclose, so I get nervous around these instruments.

barry k
Nov-11-2005, 11:37am
Ditto for what sunburst said...I have built with and without...hardly ever had to touch them after the fact...but good to have if needed.

mandobob
Nov-11-2005, 12:14pm
My fear is that at my price point (under a grand), a neck reset would really kill me.
I agree with you guys that it's just an option, and that a well built neck and joint would make this a nonissue.