PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Cockburn

Cetecea
Nov-10-2005, 9:51am
Okay... all you dawg and dead folks must have some Cockburn in your repertoire... I am currently working on Wondering Where the Lions Are and Diamonds...

anything else? I really like this guys lyrics and wish my voice was up to snuff so I could sing it!

Louis

Eric F.
Nov-10-2005, 10:19am
None in my repertoire, but I'll just say he is one underrated guitarist.

Cetecea
Nov-10-2005, 10:22am
Sure enough...
He is coming out with a new disc called Speechless... all instrumental that should be very good.

David M.
Nov-10-2005, 11:29am
Cockburn is an amazing player. and writer. and singer. This new Speechless appears to be a compilation of some of his instrumentals.

I do (or used to do) several of his using my guitar, but for some reason never did them on mando.

earthsave
Nov-10-2005, 12:05pm
Bill Mallonee and the Vigilantes of Love (http://www.billmallonee.net/) did a great cover of this tune on Roaring Lambs... which I believe is a tribute Cockburn album.

It might be a free download either on Amazon or Paste. #Seems I got a copy of it someplace like that.

Michael Wolf
Nov-10-2005, 3:15pm
Cetecea,

how are you doing this song on Mando? Do you play it solo, imitating the picking of Bruce?
In fact this tune was the reason for me to pick up the guitar after a long time, since the mando took over.
The singer I'm playing with wanted this picking and couldn't do it himself, so I did. Maybe I should try it on Mando or on my Tenor.

Cheers
Michael

Fretbear
Nov-10-2005, 7:53pm
If you love acoustic music, try to get his first albums or compilations of them;
Bruce Cockburn, High Winds-White Sky, Night Vision (Horse & Train cover, untitled-and his best)

Cetecea
Nov-11-2005, 5:40pm
al-
Which song- Lions? I am trying to get a similar picking pattern as Bruce's on that one. All the Diamonds in this world I just started working on and haven't quite figured out how to tackle it yet. I am working on both of them as solo pieces...

I'll try to write some of it out and put it up here when I get a chance. Fortunately, I have to go get ready for the hootenanny tonight!

Happy Veterans Day! Thanks to all serviceman and women!

Louis

R. Kane
Nov-11-2005, 9:06pm
I play a bunch of his tunes on guitar: All the Diamonds, Rocket Launcher, Nicaragua, World of Wonders, Fascist Architecture, Tibetan Side of Town, Waiting for a Miracle, some others. My favorite cds are his live albums. His early fingerstyle guitar is very rhythmic, often just a TITM roll. The trick to getting many of his tunes on guitar is to drop the G to an F#. There's a community of players at Cockburn-musicians on Yahoo, and a lot of tabbed (for guitar anyway) tunes there.

I think the essence of his playing is the ringing of (mostly open) strings from the rolls. Fingertsyle mando with picks?

Cetecea
Nov-15-2005, 3:49pm
I haven't had time to perfect any of this and write it out... but I wanted to add that I am not using fingerpicks- more or less doing an adapted cross picking... if that makes sense...

Louis

hellindc
Nov-16-2005, 1:32am
That Rocket-Launcher song was one of the angriest I've ever heard. And that's just about the way I felt at the time.

Cetecea
Nov-17-2005, 10:32am
When I saw Bruce back in the late 80's he introduced that song with the story about being in Southern Mex. and how pissed he was he wanted to kill someone...

After the cheering died out he said something along the lines of: But that is not the answer and if we want peace we must be peaceful...

You could hear a pin drop.

mandogrrl
Dec-05-2005, 4:38am
I like to do "Someone I Used to Love", it's on the CD "Dart to the Heart." I think the lyrics are incredible.