PDA

View Full Version : Positions - fingering

Tatoosh
Nov-08-2005, 4:40pm
I've search the site and others with no success. I'm trying to find some basic information on mandolin terminology and the most accepted method of fingering scales. Here are my questions.

1. Is "Position" defined the same as with guitar? If your first finger is on the third fret, are you in 3rd position, and when in that (or any) position, do you just play the four frets under your fingers?

2. Stretch or shift. What is the best way to reach a note that doesn't fall under the four fingers? Unlike with the guitar, one can easily skip a fret or more to reach a note. Should one stay in position and stretch to reach a note, or is it better to shift to a higher position and then shift back?

3. What is the fingering to play a major scale in closed position, e.g., starting with an A on the G string?

4. Is mandolin fingering accomplished just like violin fingering?

5. Do you have any recommendations for books, videos, etc. that cover the mechanics of playing the mandolin.

I think some of these questions are the same, just phrased differently, but hopefully you get the jist of what I am asking.

Perhaps my searching skills need sharpening, but I haven't been able to get a good answer to these questions online.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

RolandTumble
Nov-08-2005, 4:56pm
4. Is mandolin fingering accomplished just like violin fingering?
That's the ticket.

Even though it's meant as an illustration of how OM/bouzouki fingering is different, there's a diagram here (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=16;t=29218) (scroll down). The "mandolin" picture is first position.

Beyond the "stretches" incorporated in that position, it's usually a shift.

For closed fingerring, look here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/eschliman1.html).

Peter Hackman
Nov-09-2005, 9:09am
I've search the site and others with no success. I'm trying to find some basic information on mandolin terminology and the most accepted method of fingering scales. Here are my questions.

1. Is "Position" defined the same as with guitar? If your first finger is on the third fret, are you in 3rd position, and when in that (or any) position, do you just play the four frets under your fingers?

2. Stretch or shift. What is the best way to reach a note that doesn't fall under the four fingers? Unlike with the guitar, one can easily skip a fret or more to reach a note. Should one stay in position and stretch to reach a note, or is it better to shift to a higher position and then shift back?
Mandozine has a few tutorials; I believe Grisman wrote one
about positions and position shifts.

1. The basic rule, in any position,
as long as you stay diatonic, is: next note-
next finger.

2. That depends on the song and on your anatomy.
I often play in F, in 2nd position
(starting from the 3rd fret) and sometimes stretch back
to catch the e on the d string or the b flat
on the a string, e.g., if that makes
it easier on my right hand (string crossing, pick
direction).