PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Run Bluegrass { Band }

Wesley
Nov-08-2005, 2:21pm
I heard a nice new group the other day called Hit and Run Bluegrass out of Colorado. The CD is called "Beauty Fades". Some great songs and great picking too. It's my favorite bluegrass lineup. Mandolin, dobro, banjo, guitar and bass. John Frazier is the mandolin player and there are times on the record when he sounds a bit like Adam Steffy. And that's a compliment in my book.

There is some fiddle on the CD too. Aubrey Haynie is listed as the only guest musician.

I guess what suprised me is that there is only one guitar player credited on the CD - a woman named Rebecca Hoggan. If she plays all of the guitar parts on the CD she's a pretty talented picker. I guess I'm pleased to hear a woman flatpicking so well. I'm curious why we don't hear more women flatpicking the guitar , esp in bluegrass. Any ideas ?

Anyway - a darn good CD. I'm looking forward to hearing their next one.

fredfrank
Nov-08-2005, 7:37pm
I've seen this band in person and I can attest that it is, indeed Rebecca doing the guitar picking.

As to why more women don't do flatpicking, I have no idea.

luvmymando
Nov-09-2005, 10:31am
Hit and Run are out of Boulder. I have had the opportunity to see them a couple times and they have quickly become my favorite band here in Co. Yes the lead guitar girl is good. They are all good. John Frazier has continually impressed me on the mando. everytime I see him. They are tight.

Wesley
Nov-09-2005, 2:10pm
Any idea what type of mandolin he plays ?

I'm glad to hear that the lady mentioned before plays all of the lead parts. She must be quite talented. It's a shame there aren't more like her around.

luvmymando
Nov-10-2005, 10:09am
You know I don't know what type of mando he has. Next time I get a chance to see them I will see if I can catch a glimpse.

Ken Sager
Nov-10-2005, 11:22am
I got to pick with John when Hit'n'Run played the Snowbird festival last summer. He plays the nicest sounding Krishot I've heard. They're all very talented, and I'm sure their careers will skyrocket.

Best,
Ken

picksnbits
Nov-10-2005, 11:31am
I have fairly small hands for a guy and have found the narrower neck-width of the mandolin and banjo to be more comfortable than that of the guitar. I suspect it would be even more so for most ladies.

Ken Sager
Nov-10-2005, 11:40am
Rebecca is a small woman. She proves that it isn't the size of your hands that make you a great picker, it's what you do with them that counts. She has monster guitar chops.

Seriously,
Ken

mandogrrl
Nov-27-2005, 12:18am
I sometimes wonder why there aren't more excellent women bluegrass musicians. (Obviously there are exceptions like Laurie Lewis, Alison Krauss, Missy Raines, etc.)I don't think it has to do with hand size because my mandolin teacher has smaller hands than I do and it doesn't seem to slow him down any when he plays guitar. I also notice when I play at jams that not that many women take breaks. I wonder if it has anything to do with the hard driving nature of bluegrass. It seems very testosterone oriented. I personally find the Monroe style of bluegrass music doesn't come naturally. I'm working at being a more assertive player however.

Garrett
Nov-30-2005, 4:57pm
Clarence White had tiny hands and they don't flatpick better than that!

jim simpson
Nov-30-2005, 7:06pm
I just read about Debbie Bridgewater in Flatpicking Guitar (yes, I have interests outside of mandolin playing). I have never heard her but she sounds like she was (is?) accompished.