PDA

View Full Version : Movable Scale Patterns

Huda
Nov-07-2005, 4:51pm
I keep hearing about how the mandolin's tuning in 5ths allows for movable scale patterns that you can move all around the neck.

I have worked out movable scale patterns for a few scales. However, I don't want to recreate the wheel here!

Would anybody care to share the movable scale patterns that they use?

Thanks!

cumin
Nov-07-2005, 4:58pm
Movable scale patterns (http://www.mandolincafe.com/eschliman1.html)

Mike Bunting
Nov-07-2005, 6:57pm
A good exercise is to figure out a scale staring from any finger you put down, i.e.place your first finger at a fret and learn the scale starting there, now make your 2nd finger play the tonic note of a scale (place the finger at random on the 'board), do the same with your third and fourth fingers, as long as there are no open strings, these patterns will be moveable

arbarnhart
Nov-07-2005, 8:16pm
I use the previous two suggestions in tandem. If you play with the FFCP a bit, you will figure out that you roll through your fingers in a loop, skipping a fret (sometimes by going to the next string 5 or 6 frets lower) between each finger except the two prior to the one you started with. Scales overlap - you start the next octave on the same finger you end the first one on, so you switch at that point. I wish I could explain it better. Once I noticed the correlation, I could find a scale starting anywhere with any finger. Now I am working on knowing the double stops within the scale.