PDA

View Full Version : Casey Driessen

Larry S Sherman
Nov-07-2005, 7:21am
Hi,

Last night I saw Tim O'Brien and Old School Freight Train in Northampton, MA. It was a great show, with excellent mando playing by Tim and Pete Frostic (from OSFT, who also played a Mandocello for one song).

It was the first time that I've seen fiddle player Casey Driessen. He sat in with OSFT for their last song, and was part of Tim's band.

http://www.omguide.com/images/Concert_SteveEarle/6steve_earle-fiddle1.jpg

As the show went on you could almost feel the heat coming off his fingers. With very little facial expressions he unleashed a torrent of amazing licks. By the last song it seemed like Tim himself was just saying "Wow".

He has a #website (http://www.caseydriessen.com/) with MP3s if you're curious.

Larry

Jonathan James
Nov-07-2005, 8:51am
Yeah, I've seen him a few times now in concert with Tim and I'm always amazed. He definitely has a turbo speed, yet keeps it clean. He doesn't get near the amount of attention he deserves, but he's young yet so it will come.

Joe Singleton
Nov-07-2005, 9:32am
Hi Larry- I was at the show also, great job by Casey for sure. Tim's Nugget sounded great, but Danny Barnes blew me away. His banjo playing was all over the map in agood way, and the Jag was very cool. I was in front row stage left by the wall on Danny's side and could only hear him singing acoustically, I couldn't tell if he was in the sound system as I was directly beneath it, but what I heard was smooth and on the money. -Joe

Larry S Sherman
Nov-07-2005, 9:43am
Yeah, Danny's banjo playing was very fluid and seemed effortless. The Jag sound was tres cool.

I never heard his voice in the PA mix, but could see him singing. He seemed to stay back from the mike while singing. He had a big personality.

He was the favorite of my Wife and her sister. They thought that he looked a little like John Wayne.

It was a treat for me to finally see Tim play his Nugget (last time I saw him he stayed on Zuke, guitar, and fiddle).

Larry

BTW: We were a few tables from the door under the balcony. We got there early enough to be able sit there (our usual spot). Good sound, and you can chat with the performers sometimes as they go back and forth between the stage and the stairs.

SternART
Nov-07-2005, 10:03am
Casey is the real deal......Berklee, etc
Reminds me of a young Darol Anger.

TeleMark
Nov-07-2005, 12:02pm
Never seen him live, but I have several YMSB shows with Casey, and he really brings a lot to the stage! Good stuff.

Jeff Hoelter
Nov-07-2005, 2:00pm
I think Tim is playing his Collings/Nugget these days, not his old Nugget (#3?).

And Casey sure tears it up...his doublestops are just mind-blowing. Check out the Tim O'Brien show from 11/3/2001 on bluegrassbox....Chris Thile and Casey do a mini-set that is wild. A great Tim show too...

http://www.bluegrassbox.com/bgb-con....-03.txt (http://www.bluegrassbox.com/bgb-contents/tim_obrien/obrien2001-11-03.shnf/obrien2001-11-03.txt)

Jeff

Rod Freeland
Nov-07-2005, 2:02pm
On Driessen's site, one of those MP3s is with Chris Thile. #They play "Forked Deer." There is the added caption, "fun with mando monster Chris Thile....live @ Station Inn."

luvmymando
Nov-09-2005, 10:36am
Thanks for the heads up on the little tweener set by Thile and Driessen.. That is some cool stuff. I rmember when Casey used to come down to Columbus, Ohio to Frontier Ranch and pick in the parking lot. He would have been in his early teens then. Him and Noam Pikelny. I just remembering thinking at the time how good he was. He disappeared for quite some time and the next time I hear of him he is playing with Tim O. Now I found out where he disappeared to... Berklee!!!!!!! The kid is awesome. Great touch and such fantastic back up work. Very much in the Darol Anger mold. Love it.

mandogrrl
Nov-21-2005, 1:58am
I saw Old School Freight Train at Johnny D's in Somerville, MA about a week and a half ago. Nate Leath is a fine fiddle player. I used to hear Casey Driessen play at the Cantab in Central Sq. in Cambridge when he was going to Berklee. He's awesome.