PDA

View Full Version : Life's the same, I'm moving in stereo

mando_toss_flycoon
Nov-06-2005, 10:50pm
Early this morning:

Ric Ocasek's fine recent album, "Nexterday," led me back to the the first album of The Cars and thus to the song "Moving in Stereo."

Then I discovered via mandonoodling that the song sounds pretty rich on mandolin if played up the neck in the key of G, leaving the G string open as a sort of bass drone.

The Cars: oh man, what a great band that was. Fellow Cars fans, what other tunes of theirs come off well on mandolin?

bjc
Nov-09-2005, 1:28pm
"Best Friends Girlfriend" is one my duo plays that always goes over well and it's just g-c-d the chorus get tricky with a c-d change....tee hee

delsbrother
Nov-09-2005, 1:49pm
Both Greg Hawkes and Elliot Easton also play ukes (Greg being a huge uke nut nowadays). If you check out Midnight Ukulele Disco (http://www.ukuleledisco.com) you can see Greg performing lots of new and old songs, including Moving in Stereo and My Best Friend's Girl. IMO they sound great ukefied; maybe there's some stuff you can glean from the vids for a mando version. BTW this is the site with the Jake Shimabukuro video everyone's been talking about lately.

Don't know if those guys are into mandos too, but I'd suspect Elliot might have a few..

Elliot's early Cars solos are such great listening - would be fun to work them out for mandolin!