PDA

View Full Version : Campfire final pix

Baron Collins-Hill
Nov-06-2005, 9:44pm
well, i got around to finishing my stewmac campfire wit hsome blonde shellac and finnaly got around to taking pictures. here goes

Baron Collins-Hill
Nov-06-2005, 9:46pm
full front

Baron Collins-Hill
Nov-06-2005, 9:47pm
back with a little flame

Baron Collins-Hill
Nov-06-2005, 9:49pm
neck with better flame

Avi Ziv
Nov-06-2005, 9:49pm
Fabulous! I am looking at getting one of these kits. What kind of tuners did you get? Also - there have been reports of problems setting the neck and getting a good fit and angle. Anything of this experience that you'd care to share? Finally - would be really nice if you could post an mp3 sample.

Thanks,
Avi

Baron Collins-Hill
Nov-06-2005, 9:50pm
front with bridge tailpeice

Baron Collins-Hill
Nov-06-2005, 9:52pm
headstock

Baron Collins-Hill
Nov-06-2005, 9:54pm
its a great kit for sure, i got a good deal on some gold plated schallers, woulda liked nickel bu tthey were cheap, i had no trouble setting the neck, and ill try to post a sample, but itll take a while to make one, ill try to have one up in a few days.

back of headstock

Jim Garber
Nov-06-2005, 10:36pm
Nice going on that and the finish looks great. Where did you get the finishing materials and what specifically did you use.

Now -- after a too-long hiatus -- I need to get moving on mine.

Jim

Stephanie Reiser
Nov-07-2005, 6:15am
Baron, very nice and clean job indeed! How is the action?
I am glad that you used a tail piece appropriate for that style of instrument. Will you bring it to Cambridge next time? I'd love to try it out. As I am playing more and more classical these days, I am planning on building a more classical-looking mando, as opposed to the Fs that I normally make. Are you going to build something else, next? Have you gotten "the bug"?
Great job!

BlueMountain
Nov-07-2005, 12:24pm
Hey, that looks great! Nice work! Lovely wood and very clean design. Frankly, I think it's WAY too nice to toss in a campfire. I'd say set it aside and think about it for awhile. Burn some scrap wood instead. If necessary, sell it, but don't toss it in a campfire. Though if you drilled an 1/8 inch hole in the headstock, lengthwise, you could stick a piece of coathanger in there and use it for grilling hot dogs.

Jim Garber
Nov-07-2005, 12:59pm
As I am playing more and more classical these days, I am planning on building a more classical-looking mando, as opposed to the Fs that I normally make.
Stephanie:
What are you planning to build? A Lyon & Healy style or a bowlback? Just curious.

Jim

Stephanie Reiser
Nov-07-2005, 2:32pm
Stephanie:
What are you planning to build? A Lyon & Healy style or a bowlback? Just curious.

Jim
I'm still researching, but something oval-holed, and X-braced. Would it look too strange to have a carved top and back (like an A-model) but with a neck headstock like Allison Stephen's? Bowlbacks look too lute-ish to me, or maybe not. Still researching; any suggestions?
I'm wanting to build a mandolin and a mandola that match.

Jim Garber
Nov-07-2005, 3:29pm
Stephanie:
Rather than hijack Baron's thread, I can PM you with further opinions... or... for multiple opinions on the topic, I suggest that you post in the classical section.

Jim

Baron Collins-Hill
Nov-09-2005, 7:58pm
the finish is oxford wb shellac, i just put it on with a foam headed brush. it actually gave me alot of trouble because the whole thing pretty much spiderwebbed and i had to re sand it with 1000 then 2000 then 4000 to get it un-crazed.

the action is a bit high at the moment, and i am still trying to work out the 15th fret on the e string with is a little buzzy, but i think ill prolly lower it a bit. sure ill bring it to cambridge, when is the next one anyway? yes, i have the bug and think ill build another campfire from scratch with a few "improvements" or maybe an IV kit would be cool?

nah, no good for a campfire, but maybe a bonfire, and i can cook some pancakes on it too.

i was also thinking about building a mandola to match this one. all i need guidance on is neck making, maybe we can talk about that if i com eupp to cambridge.

thanks,
baron

mmukav
Nov-14-2005, 9:43am
Nice job Baron! Really like the grain of the top. Good luck on the next one

Mike

Stephanie Reiser
Nov-14-2005, 10:21pm
Baron, the next jam session at Cambridge is this sunday.
Hope to see you there.

Avi Ziv
Nov-19-2005, 4:39pm
Baron - any chance of posting a sound sample? I'm sure many of us would like to know what it sounds like

Thanks!
Avi

mandoman15
Dec-08-2005, 4:50pm
i heard that you were in the process of restoring a vintage archtop octave....do you think you could post some pictures, that f-5 you made me really sounds awesome....oh, well it will once you make it, think christmas present...remember...i got you a flask which is the drink container equivalent to an F-5