PDA

View Full Version : pesky b chord-

ira
Nov-06-2005, 8:29pm
hi folks- what a drag-though i've mastered most of the basic major, minor, 7ths and a few others here and there, and some even in a few different formations, i just can't seem to get a low b chord- i can do the basic 'b' chop, and a bar chord, but the lowest sounding 'b' chord i know of g-4,d-1 a-2,e=2 is just brutal for me. i am muting strings, and putting my hands in what feels like a crippling position.
i put in a request a bunch of months ago to see if anyone had a 2 or 3 finger 'b' chord that was in a "relatively" low register, and of course lost the paper, and havent' found it through search on the board.

if anyone could give me a heads up on:
1. help in mastering the 4 finger chord above and
2. remind me of the 2-3 finger (if poss. 4 course)'b' chord in a lower register,
i would be ever grateful.
thanks.

ShaneJ
Nov-06-2005, 8:56pm
Ira, you can play it 4-4-2-2. There's no 3rd in that one, so it works for major or minor. If you want the 3rd, you can play it 4-4-6-7 (major) or 4-4-5-7 (minor). Those are easier for me than the 4-1-2-2.

John Flynn
Nov-06-2005, 9:10pm
Ira: Three possibilities. 1) Only play 4-1-2. If you are trying to provide rhythm back up, it's fine. 2) Play 4-1 and then put your fingertip right between the A and the E courses at the second fret. With practice, you should be able to sound the lower A and the upper E cleanly and the other A and E strings will be muted. But you can get a full chord sound out of it with practice. 3) Try 4-4-6-7. It is not first position, but the bass note is still the same, it is a full chord, it's easy to hit and it sounds good. The B is a bear!

groveland
Nov-06-2005, 9:12pm
Ira -

Are you using 4 fingers for this? Use 3: Pinky on the G-4, index on the D-1, second finger hanging over the A-2 and E-2. No third finger at all. Feels very natural. (On the Rigel, anyway.)

mandocrucian
Nov-06-2005, 9:32pm
This is what you at least want to get:

|e----x----
|e----2----
|
|a----2-----
|a----x-----
|
|d----1------
|d----1------
|
|g----4-----
|g----4-----

It doesn't matter if the outside strings held by the 2nd finger are muted as long as they are not sounding another pitch, AND the inside notes are ringing clearly.

NH

ira
Nov-06-2005, 11:05pm
is that the split string method i saw you mention in another thread niles?or was that you johnny?
looks like its something i definitely need to try. thanks all.

Peter Hackman
Nov-07-2005, 2:49am
hi folks- what a drag-though i've mastered most of the basic major, minor, 7ths and a few others here and there, and some even in a few different formations, i just can't seem to get a low b chord- i can do the basic 'b' chop, and a bar chord, but the lowest sounding 'b' chord i know of g-4,d-1 a-2,e=2 is just brutal for me. i am muting strings, and putting my hands in what feels like a crippling position.
i put in a request a bunch of months ago to see if anyone had a 2 or 3 finger 'b' chord that was in a "relatively" low register, and of course lost the paper, and havent' found it through search on the board.

if anyone could give me a heads up on:
1. help in mastering the 4 finger chord above and
2. remind me of the 2-3 finger (if poss. 4 course)'b' chord in a lower register,
i would be ever grateful.
thanks.
Why are you trying to get a chord that doesn't really sound good? People should use three note chords much more.

ira
Nov-07-2005, 8:19am
i have no issue with the 3 note chord per se, but when the b winds up in the middle of a bunch of other chords in a tune, if i forget to leave out the g course and strum it as part of the chord, it just doesn't sound right.

250sc
Nov-07-2005, 9:39am
Can you use a B7?

mandocrucian
Nov-07-2005, 1:35pm
is that the split string method i saw you mention in another thread niles?

No. It's a scenario where the tip of the finger can't cleanly fret all the strings (of two pair) and have them all sound the note. #So, the 'x' denotes a muffled/deadened string. Maybe you'll be able to get 3 of the 4 strings. #But if you can only get the inside ones, in the trade off....are you coming out ahead sonically by being able to play a 2nd fret B and a single 2nd fret F#, rather than the unison 2nd fret B (pair)? #I say yes.

NH

2-string 3-note low B triad (string splitting on the D pair):

<span style='font-family:courier'>e========
a========
d---4-----
d---1-----
g===4=====</span>

finger: 2 1 3(nail)

WireBoy
Nov-07-2005, 3:38pm
why not try a 2 finger approach. just play the D A E strings: GX, D1, A2, E2. (Let some one else play the B Root.) #
Index finger across the DAE strings and middle finger in front of that across the A and E strings. can't get much easier.

kvk
Nov-08-2005, 8:45am
I just use 4-1-2 when I need a B down low, i.e., the 3-finger C chop moved down one fret. Works fine for BG. If you looking for the full ringing tone with a lot of sustain and all three notes of the triad, ya got me. Maybe a, dread the word, capo on the 2nd fret and use 4-2-0-0http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

earthsave
Nov-08-2005, 12:25pm
Hmmm... I play the B the same way I play the C just shifted down a fret. Just dont hit the e string, or go up the neck and use the G shape chord.

AlanN
Nov-08-2005, 12:32pm
Learn 'em all, use 'em judiciously

4,1,2x
4,4,2x (I do ring, pinky, middle)
4,4xx

Moose
Nov-08-2005, 1:31pm
Ya' gotta' "kill" that "E"(first) string when play'n in "B" in the first position. It's an ART ya' gotta' work at! (ya' can't hardly "chop" "F"(open "A"!##) in 1st either without you kill' the 2nd string - "ring"/yes : "chop"/no!! -'least that's what we used to call it....in Baltimore) Moose-the-elder. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Bob1300
Nov-17-2005, 11:45pm
I like Wakefield's version - 4,1,2,4.

mandolin72
Nov-22-2005, 9:52pm
When i play b im down 2 fret ithink from the 5 it starts on the 7 fret. It sounds really high pitch is that the right way. If its not could you send me something that shows what i should do. Thanks