PDA

View Full Version : Curley Lambert

Brian Ray
Nov-05-2005, 11:48pm
I admire Curley Lambert's playing on the Stanley Brother's records. I've looked around for more info on him but I can't seem to find anything. He seems to be one of the least talked about players here on the cafe. I was hoping someone might break the silence and post some info, stories or links about Mr. Lambert...

Anyone?

Peter Hackman
Nov-06-2005, 5:29am
I admire Curley Lambert's playing on the Stanley Brother's records. I've looked around for more info on him but I can't seem to find anything. He seems to be one of the least talked about players here on the cafe. I was hoping someone might break the silence and post some info, stories or links about Mr. Lambert...

Anyone?
Folkways Records had an album out decades ago,
from a "folk" concert featuring, i.a., Doc
Watson
and the Stanley Brothers. Lambert has a fast and furious
solo on "Rabbit in a Log" but flubs a note. After
the applause the rhythm goes on and one hears Ralph
calling out :"Play that again Curley, and play it right!"
And he does.

swampstomper
Nov-06-2005, 5:49am
If you can find back issues of BG Unlimited, many years ago (early 1980's?) they did a feature on him called "Bluegrass Evergreen". Sorry, I mislaid my old issues!

tjg
Nov-06-2005, 11:47am
Wasn't Curley Lambert the first Packer coach? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

FOXFIRE
Nov-06-2005, 12:30pm
Curley Lambert was one of Bluegrass's great mandolin players. #If you love Bluegrass mandolin, he should be one of your choices to learn from and listen to.

Steve Williams
Nov-06-2005, 3:47pm
dasspunk,

Curley was still active when I was a young feller playing regional festivals in the 70's/early 80's...he was playing an Ibanez (I think) at that time, and he could really get on it when he wanted to! Fine old-time traditional bluegrass musician. I have an album of Curley's featuring him on mandolin that was entitled Bluegrass Evergreen; and if memory serves correctly, Curley played bass on the original recording of "Daybreak In Dixie" with Bill Napier on mandolin.

Steve #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Brian Ray
Nov-06-2005, 6:27pm
Okay, with the hints collected here so far, here's what I've discovered...

Looks like the Bluegrass Unlimited that has an article on Curley article is the February 1976 Talent Directory issue. Currently <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUEGRASS-UNLIMITED-February-1976-Talent-Directory_W0QQitemZ6985809233QQcategoryZ69505QQss
PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">listed on ebay</a> (UK).

I've been unable to find a picture of the Evergreen record but I did dig up a picture of curley online...
http://members.tripod.com/bluegrass65/1331f7e0.jpg

jus
Nov-06-2005, 6:52pm
Das Punk,
There is some stuff around on the web if you google his name.
I also am a fan of his contributions to Stanley brothers tunes, he plays these great fills and intros which I've been working my way through learning, love the tone and bluesy feel he gets, besides Monroe he's the one I keep returning to for pointers, maybe its also the general ambiance of the the stanley brothers tunes, classic wonderful profound music ... Particular favourite with a great bluesy intro by Lambert is The Lonesome River.
He also does this great crosspicking kind of roll in the version of East Virginia Blues on the Evening Long Ago recording.
I think I read somewhere that his mandolin during this period was that Loar that Frank Wakefield baked and still uses today...

Moose
Nov-07-2005, 10:48am
Sure looks like Charlie Moore in THAT photo above!? - http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Tom Smart
Nov-07-2005, 2:21pm
He also does this great crosspicking kind of roll in the version of East Virginia Blues on the Evening Long Ago recording.
I'm not 100% sure who's doing what on that recording (don't have it in front of me right now).

But... Ralph Stanley has been known to tune a mandolin in open tuning and finger-pick it like a banjo. In particular, I've heard him do that on East Virginia Blues on the Mike Seeger 3rd Annual Farewell Reunion CD. (My favorite cut on a stellar album)

Is there a banjo to be heard on the "Evening Long Ago" version? If not, I bet it's Ralph finger-picking the mando.

TS

Brian Ray
Nov-07-2005, 3:06pm
The picture is of Charlie Moore and Curley though I wouldn't know Curley by site.

Tom, I think you're right about the mando on East Virginia Blues on Evening Long Ago. My guess is it's Ralph rolling on mando as well. There's no banjo on the tune...

jus
Nov-07-2005, 7:18pm
Tom, re. mando on East Virginia Blues, that's great! will have to have another listen, it explains why its so damn fast and fluid in terms of what I can manage with a flat pick...
I guess he'd be useing banjo thumb and finger picks, also any ideas about the open tuning?

Tom Smart
Nov-08-2005, 12:49pm
any ideas about the open tuning?
I looked at both the "Evening Long Ago" and "3rd Annual Farewell Reunion" CDs last night. Neither of them gives the tuning. But I played around with it on my mando, and my guess is that he simply tunes the E strings down to D. Playing in the key of D, you can fit the melody on the middle two courses, leaving the high (D) course open as a drone.

If anyone knows for sure how Mr. Stanley does this tune, I'd like to hear about it. It's one of my favorite songs, and it would be fun to work out something roughly approximating that sound. This is one of the few times I've actually regretted not learning the banjo...

TS

f5loar
Nov-08-2005, 6:24pm
I always got Pee Wee and Curly mixed up. PeeWee had the Loars when with the Stanleys. What did Curly pick?

Moose
Nov-09-2005, 10:42am
Ah..., the Lamberts'(PeeWee, Curly) and Clines'(Ezra, Charlie, "Curly" Ray..) and others ; FIRST generation Bluegrass folks! - Thanks boy's!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Brandolin Tucker12
Nov-09-2005, 1:13pm
They are from "bloody" Mingo county WV !

Moose
Nov-09-2005, 2:26pm
Very interesting! - Thanks for the info. Moose http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

evanreilly
Nov-09-2005, 6:26pm
I beleive that 'East Virginia Blues' was in fact Ralph's 'mandolin' tune and he did finger-pick it.

Sarah Rebecca Adams
Apr-04-2011, 6:19pm
What would you like to know about him. He was my grandfather???

f5loar
Apr-04-2011, 10:34pm
Tell us what kind of mandolins he used during the Stanley days and then later on. Did he play in Charlie Moore's band? What about other bands?

mandolirius
Apr-05-2011, 5:03am
What would you like to know about him. He was my grandfather???

Anything you care to say about him. He was a great bluegrass player.

Sarah Rebecca Adams
Apr-06-2011, 4:20pm
I could say many things about him but they come from a granddaughter loving her grandfather. I always felt like I missed out on knowing him personally. He died of colon cancer in 1982. He loved playing the Mandolin more than anything in the world. I just wanted to be of some help for you since you seem so interested in him. Thank you for your kind words about him...I will pass those along to my mother and her siblings as well as my grandmother. Let me know if I can answer anything specifically for you!!

Sarah Rebecca Adams
Apr-06-2011, 4:25pm
He did play with Charlie Moore. My Nanny and Granddaddy actually raised Charlie's daughter Patty who I consider my aunt. As for the type of mandolins he played a Martin. He played with Stanley Brothers, Charlie Moore, Chief Powhatan, and the Goings Brothers out of Kentucky, He played with Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs at the Grand Ole Opry. He played with a lot of gospel groups that used him for a side man including the Lewis Family. He was also playing a Gibson mandolin when he passed away. My uncle Wayne has that one in his house!

Dan Proctor
Jun-21-2013, 3:13pm
:mandosmiley: Hi Sarah, I am an old retired bass player who played with the Goat" Lambert with Charlie Moore between 1972-74,1978. We lived here in Richmond ,Va. and rode many thousands of miles with Charlie Moore all over the place.I have many stories about Curly and the road to tell--way too many for this message board. If you want more info let me know. Can do by Email or in person if you live in the Richmond area. I have also been writing a book about my short but active professional career. Check back with me if you please. Dan
He did play with Charlie Moore. My Nanny and Granddaddy actually raised Charlie's daughter Patty who I consider my aunt. As for the type of mandolins he played a Martin. He played with Stanley Brothers, Charlie Moore, Chief Powhatan, and the Goings Brothers out of Kentucky, He played with Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs at the Grand Ole Opry. He played with a lot of gospel groups that used him for a side man including the Lewis Family. He was also playing a Gibson mandolin when he passed away. My uncle Wayne has that one in his house!

Bill Foss
Jun-21-2013, 3:58pm
There are some good mentions of Curley Lambert in Ralph Stanley's autobiography, Man of Constant Sorrow, including a crazy story of Curley Ray Cline throwing firecrackers at poor Curley Lambert's head!

DataNick
Jul-23-2013, 3:21pm
Thread Bump:

Soundclip of Curley Lambert singing/playing "I'll Be True To You" with The Stanley Brothers; one of my favorites, and I love the "Monroe-esque" sound/style of his mando

Vernon Hughes
Jul-25-2013, 5:34am
I got to know Curley well when I was a fledgling mando player and he was playing with Chief Powhatan. He showed me some neat things and even introduced me to Sam Bush. Very nice man and a fine picker. I was honored to be a pall bearer at his funeral.

eurobluegrass
Aug-22-2013, 5:18am
Dear Sarah! Thanks for posting this. You can be proud of your grandfather!!! I never met him but I met Charlie Moore in the US in 1974 and he asked me to arrange a European tour for him, which I did in 1974 and 1979 - as a medical student, because I loved his music. he asked me to play lead guitar with him on the tour and I did. It was a great experience. The second time in 1979 he had planned to bring Curly with him but Charlie told me he had Fallen and injured himself so he couldn't make the trip. Would you have any photographs or live footage in the family of Charlie and Curly performing or jamming???? I have set up a Facebook page for Charlie so that people won't forget his great music and of course that of your grandfather and I am hoping fans and people who have know him might contribute to the page. https://www.facebook.com/CharlieMooreBluegrass Also I am in contact with Charlie's daughter Lisa and through her with patti. Very nice people. best wishes to you and your family and thank you!

eurobluegrass
Aug-22-2013, 5:21am
Dear Dan! I have heard about you through the great Charlie Moore. Would you like to contribute to the FB page I have set up to help perserve the memory and great music of Charlie Moore whom I met and played guitar with in 1976 and 1979 during 2 European tours he had asked me to organise for him. I met him in Corinth NY during the Smokey Green Bluegrass festival.
I would also be very much interested in your book about your musical carreer. How can I buy that? Many thanks and best wishes

Dennis Schut, Brussels, Europe https://www.facebook.com/CharlieMooreBluegrass

mando-tech
Jan-04-2019, 4:40pm

...suspect the post above means he played a "Martin" guitar, not mandolin,...feel certain he played a Gibson mandolin !,...remember Curley did the guitar work on lots of Stanley Bros. stuff,...like that great
run in GOD GAVE YOU TO ME !

allenhopkins
Jan-05-2019, 4:57pm
The Bluegrass Evergreen album, Lambert with the Goins Brothers, is on YouTube:

hHVulZN4dwM