PDA

View Full Version : Boston concert tonight

JimD
Nov-03-2005, 11:42am
Hi all,

I am performing tonight with a new Boston-based chamber ensemble called ElastiCity.

The mandolin portion of this concert is my own three movement solo, "Gifts of the Bard".

We are also doing some choros -- Cochichando by Pixinguinha and Ternura by Ximbinho, Piazzola's Oblivion, James Kachulis' Song of Sorrow #-- all for clarinet and guitar.

Three Shakespeare songs -- Orpheus with his Lute (Wm Schuman), Tell Me Where is Fancy Bred (Elliot Carter), Willow Song (Dalton) -- all guitar and voice.

Trio for Flute, Clarinet and Guitar by Kruetzer.

Two Gershwin songs -- The Man I Love and Fascinatin' Rhythm -- voice, clarinet and guitar.

Here is the info:

ELASTICITY
in concert
"Fascinatin' Journeys: Music from Europe to the Americas"

WHEN: Thursday November 3rd, 2005 7:30 PM
WHERE: Rutman's Violins 11 Westland Ave #Boston

Donation of $7 appreciated

Maggi Dalton, Voice # # Lindsey McMahon, Flute
Leslie Walters, Clarinet # # # #Jim Dalton, Guitar and mandolin

Sorry for the last minute notice -- if you can make it, please introduce yourself...

Jim Garber
Nov-03-2005, 12:00pm
I am performing tonight with a new Boston-based chamber ensemble called We are also doing some choros -- Cochichando by Pixinguinha and Ternura by Ximbinho, Piazzola's Oblivion, James Kachulis' Song of Sorrow #-- all for clarinet and guitar.
Jim:
Sounds like a wonderful and very varied concert. Wish i wopulc be there.

You have to get yourself another guitar player so you can play those choros on mandolin/bandolim.

Good luck...

Jim

JimD
Nov-03-2005, 12:06pm
You have to get yourself another guitar player so you can play those choros on mandolin/bandolim.

So true -- but they are fun to play on guitar as well.

I recently (at the Cape Cod Mandolin Festival) had the pleasure of performing a few choros with Marilyn Mair (taking the guitar part with Marilyn on mandolin). In addition to being a great player, she is a truly lovely person as well...

margora
Nov-04-2005, 9:43am
I was able to go at the last minute. A fine first performance by this new chamber group. I especially liked the three Shakespeare songs, and the arrangement of "Oblivion" for guitar and clarinet. JimD gave a good performance of his solo mandolin piece "Gifts of the Bard" which I had heard previously (it makes nice use of extended techniques, like fingerboard tapping, also lots of harmonics in the third movement) and which I understand is forthcoming in published form from Wolfhead Music. Jim's wife, Maggi, has a lovely voice, displayed to good effect especially on the Carter and the Gershwin. The Kreutzer was given a rousing performance.