PDA

View Full Version : Burning #LPs onto CD

mandocrucian
Nov-03-2005, 9:04am
.....So I can listen to stuff in the car (or anywhere else more convenient).
Items transfered within the last week:

Man: Be Good To Yourself At Least Once A Day; Back Into The Future; Rhinos, Winos & Lunatics; Slow Motion; All's Well That Ends Well

Deke Leonard: Kamikaze

The Neutrons: Black Hole Star

Genesis: Trespass; Nursery Cryme; Foxtrot; Selling England By The Pound

Dire Straits: Dire Straits; Communique; Making Movies; Love Over Gold; Brothers In Arms

Byrds: Preflyte

Gene Clark: Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers

Totally inconsequential topic, I know, but vinyl addicts may find it nostalgic. (Well, it's really only "nostalgia" if the music just doesn't hold up that well.)

NH

luckylarue
Nov-03-2005, 9:20am
Niles, How'd you do it? I have plenty of vinyl, but don't have a traditional stereo set-up at the moment. Also, could I transfer 4-track recordings using the same interface?
Stuff I Miss Listening To On Vinyl:

The Clash - Sandinista!
Bob Dylan - 1st lp
Neil Young - Old Ways
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Beatles - Abbey Road
Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
Carol King - Tapestry

Ted Eschliman
Nov-03-2005, 9:39am
I just converted two of my two-decade-old (out of circulation) fave LPs to CD with my Tascam US-122 (http://www.tascam.com/Products/US-122.html) USB Audio Interface. I just ran them into my computer and edited the start and stop of each song with Steinberg's "WaveLab Lite."
I had to borrow a pretty gnarly turntable to do it, but I'm okay with the results. (I forgot how much an issue dust is with LPs...)
My little-known gems:
Recoil: Pardon My Fantasy
Recoil: The Fantasy continues.
Terrific playing and arranging by keyboardist Pat Coil & some of the coolest jazz pedal steel playing I've heard in my life.

mandocrucian
Nov-03-2005, 9:40am
I have one of the stand-alone dual well CD burners. Requires the Audio-CDR blanks which cost .15 more each, but the thing operates like it was a cassette deck. It's just hooked into audio system as a component. Worth it just for the simplicity and convenience.

At some point, I'm going to have to get a small TV hooked up as so I can monitor the (video) screen while making audio tranfers of concerts (Austin City Limits, Soundstage, Sessions at W54th, Storytellers, etc) from the VHS collection, onto disc. You know, stuff like Tom Waits, Chris Isaak, Randy Newman, Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou.....

Was listening to the Drake stuff (from the original LPs) in the car just recently."Saw it written and saw it say, pink moon is on it's way. None of you will stand so tall, pink moon is gonna get you all. " (Just substitute "bird flu" for "pink moon" for a timely song of doom.)

NH

glauber
Nov-03-2005, 11:11am
I didn't know there was any difference between "audio" and "data" CD blanks. I've always used them interchangeably. So maybe it has to do with these CD decks, then, interesting.

I found a Web page once that has all sorts of good advice and links to software to record stuff from vinyl and other sources into the computer. Here it be (click it). (http://www.shareup.com/dadioh/)

siren_20
Nov-03-2005, 11:31am
A buddy transfered the original "Dawg Jazz/Dawg Grass" to CD for me. A great album that sadly hasn't been reissued by the Dawg yet. I keep finding unplayed copies of it for $3 at the local record store. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

AW Meyer
Nov-03-2005, 12:16pm
I purchased a software package called PINNACLE CLEAN PLUS --All-in-one Audio Restoration. It enables you to create mp3s, and has cd burning software. You can eliminate most of the clicks and pops from the old vinyl, and you can tweak the eq. It has other sound enhancement tools to clean up less-than-pristine recordings. It includes a preamp that enables you to plug your turntable into the "line in" jacks on the back of the computer. It cost less than $100 CDN. Im pretty impressed with it.

Tom Smart
Nov-03-2005, 1:13pm
I didn't know there was any difference between "audio" and "data" CD blanks. I've always used them interchangeably. So maybe it has to do with these CD decks, then, interesting.
There is just one bit that is set to "on" to indicate that "this is an audio CD." Beyond that, there is no difference between a "data" and "audio" CD, except that an audio CD costs more, as Niles mentioned.

The reason is this: When digital recording was first becoming available and affordable to consumers, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) pushed legislation through Congress requiring digital recorders targeted for the consumer market to check for the "audio CD" bit. If it's not turned on, these devices refuse to record to the CD. This forces you to buy the more expensive CDs, and the extra 15 cents goes to RIAA. They assume you're going to be making illegal copies, and make you pay for your presumed crimes up-front. Even if you're legally copying stuff you've already bought, as Niles is, you have to pay the 15 cents.

This all happened way before computers commonly came with drives capable of recording to blank CDs. Since computers can be used for any kind of data, not just music, the law doesn't apply to them.

There is also an exemption in the law for "professional" sound equipment. For example, I have a Marantz/Superscope PSD300, which is considered a "professional" CD recorder. (By the way, as a musician, it's the coolest and most useful thing I own, aside from my instruments). It works fine with regular data CDs.

Not that many people own the type of consumer CD recorders that work as components of a stereo system, as Niles does. There's a lot to be said for the convenience of recording straight from your stereo system, but most people use their computers. That means most people can use regular CDs, and the joke is on RIAA.

TS

glauber
Nov-03-2005, 1:19pm
... for now. They'll never make the mistake of having a format that's open, like CDR, or using weak encryption, like DVD, again. The next generation of digital media will not be copiable by digital means. We'll be back doing analog copies, like in the good old days.

But thanks, for the first time i understand what the data/audio CD difference really is.

olgraypat
Nov-03-2005, 2:45pm
I purchased a package called "Cakewalk Pyro" from Musician's Friend, I believe, for about $75-80 and it allows you to just plug right into your computer and make mp3's and burn CD's. Also would allow for some tweaking. This is not the top of the line stuff, but works OK, and it's simple. You'll need to buy a chord from Radio Shack for about $9.

recklessmando
Nov-03-2005, 3:11pm
I'd like to buy an E chord, Pat. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

olgraypat
Nov-03-2005, 3:45pm
No problem. Just send your money order for $9 + $7.95 for shipping and handling and your E chord will arrive in due course. Please specify: (1) mando (2) guitar no capo (3) guitar capo'd (4) banjo (5) e-mando. Sorry, capos are not available on mando chords. Also please specify whether you want your chord recorded on tape or cd. Add $2 if you want the instrument tuned before your chord is recorded. Additional chords --add $6 each. :cool:

jim simpson
Nov-03-2005, 6:45pm
I bought one of the Phillips CD recording decks when they 1st came out and I didn't mind the extra cost too much, however!!, this deck requires the 74 minute blank and will not record on the commonly found 80 minute cd blanks. You cannot find the 74 minute blanks in any stores! Was this planned obsolescence?
I have enjoyed putting out-of-print or hard to find records onto CD's. It's fun to make your own greatest hit collections.

Dave Gumbart
Nov-05-2005, 5:10pm
Great topic. My wife and I went out a few years ago to find a new record player, so our collections wouldn't just be sitting around gathering dust. We still use it, but getting some onto cds isn't a bad idea. The first one I burned using the computer was The Chieftains, Ballad of the Irish Horse. But here's the bonus - just this morning at our town's tranfer station, I brought the weeks garbage. Sometimes "stuff" is left out, up for grabs should anyone want it. A box of albums! Yes, the standard Herb Alpert albums (that you see at every tag sale ever - love that whipped cream photo...), but here's my haul (some I think I had, others I didn't). Stones - Sticky Fingers (with zipper), Cream - Wheels of Fire, Dave Mason, Beach Boys (Surfer Girl and Best Of), Loggins and Messina - Mother Lode, Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms, Doors - Absolutely Live, Paul Simon - Still Crazy..., Steppenwolf, Emerson, Lake and Palmer's first, and yes, I admit I even grabbed the Nancy Sinatra "Boots" album. How could you not? And when I got home, looking through them, I apparently grabbed an extra one: E. Power Biggs' Greatest Hits. Huh? Master of the pipe organ, according to the liner notes. Of course I'll give it a listen.

Mando content: on the Loggins & Messina, Messina is listed as "Lead Guitar and Mandolin."

mandocrucian
Nov-05-2005, 5:32pm
latest CDR additions....
The Blasters: Hard Line
John Coltrane: Ballads; John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
Cruzados: Cruzados
Dave Edmunds: Twangin'
Hooters: Nervous Night; One Way Home
Little Feat: Little Feat (1st album)
The Outlaws: Hurry Sundown
Pure Prairie League: Pure Prairie League (1st album)

I still pick up vinyl (as long as it's in good condition). Last month at the Friends of the Library book sale, I got a bunch of stuff @ 25 cents apiece; maybe 30 LPs in all. Various baroque music and some Rampal flute albums, several albums each by Gordon Lightfoot, Amazing Rhythm Aces and the Atlanta Rhythm Section, an obscure Detroit rock album by The Rockets (w/Mitch Ryder's drummer), Best of Steve Stills, etc. Everything in pristine condition too.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>more.....
<span style='color:green'>Lindisfarne: Nicely Out of Tune, Fog On The Tyne
Rory Gallagher: LIVE! In Europe
Tangerine Dream: Livemiles
Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Emerson, Lake & Palmer(first album)
Semi Twang: Salty Tears
Brian Eno: Another Green World
Fripp & Eno: Evening Star</span>

<span style='color:blue'>and some more (Nov 10)....
OUTLAWS: Playin' To Win
JAMES GANG: Rides Again; The Best of...
FAIRPORT CONVENTION: Rising For The Moon; Gottle O'Geer
TRACY NELSON: Doin' It My Way!
MOTHER EARTH: Make A Joyful Noise
BONNIE TYLER: Faster Than The Speed Of Night
VANGELIS: Opera Sauvage</span></span>

Martin Jonas
Nov-05-2005, 5:37pm
I transferred a lot of my vinyl and cassette tapes (both official and bootlet) to CD a few years ago; with generally excellent results. In many cases no noticeable difference to commercial CDs, especially the ones that were mastered in the 1980s. With only a little bit more effort that a straight transfer, one can add track boundaries (I use CD Wave (http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/) for this, which used to be freeware, but now seems to be shareware in its latest version) and make jewel cases. I've also transferred a lot of my old VHS tapes to DVD, which is also not difficult with a cheap video capture card (most TV cards have one built-in). Rediscovering the analogue collection makes one much less susceptible to the perfidious "remaster" industry of classic recordings.

Martin

mandocrucian
Nov-13-2005, 5:40pm
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Tom Waits: Frank's Wild Years; Foreign Affairs
Tom Waits/Crystal Gayle: One From the Heart (soundtrack)
Lotte Lenya: The Lotta Lenya Album (Sings German Theatre Songs of Kurt Weill/Sings American Theatre Songs of Kur Weill)
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band: Ice Cream For Crow

Lou Ann Barton: Old Enough; Read My Lips
Bonnie Raitt: Home Plate; Green Light

Crosby Stills & Nash: Daylight Again
Stephen Stills: Still Stills - The Best of....

Vangelis: Direct
The Pretty Things: SF Sorrow
Roy Harper: Valentine
Maddy Prior: Changing Winds
Cathy LeSurf: Surface

Jefferson Airplane: After Bathing At Baxters; Crown of Creation

<span style='color:green'>Captain Beefheart: Trout Mask Replica
King Crimson: Starless and Bible Black
Yamashta/Winwood/Shrieve: Go
Tommy Peoples w/Daithi Sproule: The Iron Man</span>

<span style='color:red'>Eppu Normaali: Kahdeksas Ihme; Imperiumin Vastaisku; Historian Suurmiehiä (Finland's "Dire Straits")
New Riders of the Purple Stage: NRPS (1st album)
Jerry Garcia Band: Cats Under The Stars</span>

<span style='color:blue'>Maria Muldaur: Waitress In A Donut Shop; Sweet Harmony
Amos Garrett: Go, Cat, Go; Amosbehavin'
Leon Russell: Carney
Asylum Choir (Leon Rusell & Marc Benno): Look Inside
Mississippi John Hurt: 1928 Sessions
Martin Simpson: Leaves of Life
John Renbourn: John Renbourn (first album); Another Monday
Davey Graham, Martin Simpson, Stefan Grossman, Duck Baker: Music of Ireland (arranged for fingerpicking guitar)</span></span>

mandocrucian
Nov-25-2005, 1:38am
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>John Cale: Vintage Violence
Jesse Ed Davis: Ululu
Delaney & Bonnie and Friends: Accept No Substitute
Fairport Convention: Fairport Convention (first album w/ Judy Dyble)
Danny Gatton: 88 Elmira St.; Unfinished Business
Nic Jones: Nic Jones (2nd album); Penguin Eggs
Lone Justice:Shelter
Dave Mason: Alone Together; The Best of Dave Mason [Columbia, 1981]
Van Morrison : Astral Weeks; Tupelo Honey; Wavelength; Into The Music
Van Morrison & The Chieftains: Irish Heartbeat
Nico: The Marble Index
Gram Parsons & The Fallen Angels: Live 1973
Jim Pulte: Out The Window
Prairie Oyster: Different Kind of Fire
Arlen Roth: Lonely Street
Teegarden & Van Winkle: Teegarden & Van Winkle
Teegarden & Van Winkle with (Mike) Bruce: On Our Way
various (UK folk & folk-rock): The Electric Muse</span>

only 1,000 (or so) more to go....

mandopete
Nov-25-2005, 12:39pm
Niles - you have a fabulous collection of vinyl!

sbarnes
Nov-25-2005, 7:45pm
dave g

e power biggs - haven't heard of him in years....
the toccotta and fugue in d minor on that album is killer

glauber
Nov-25-2005, 9:28pm
dave g

e power biggs - haven't heard of him in years....
the toccotta and fugue in d minor on that album is killer
We had that LP. It changed my Dad's life... not necessarily for the better. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif He became incapable of being within reach of an organ or piano keyboard without playing D-C#-D!

Avi Ziv
Nov-25-2005, 9:57pm
Does anyone have suggestion for Mac software that would autmatically find the split points and break up an audio file (say of a whole LP or tape) into tracks? I have quite a lot that I would want to transfer to disk but I dread doing so #much manual editing

Thanks,
Avi

jim simpson
Nov-26-2005, 1:54pm

Hey Niles, I did this one too. I even scanned the cover to make the CD look more, well, cd' like!

My other home-made CD's:

Lani Hall (Sundown Lady, Hello It's Me, and some of her 3rd
Blodwyn Pig/Ahead Rings Out w/bonus tracks of same songs live
Be-Bob Deluxe/Drastic Plastic w/bonus tracks of Bill Nelson solo stuff
Brian Eno/Before and After Science plus most of Taking Tiger Mountain....
Allen Ginsberg/Songs Of Innocence & Experience - William Blake
Jan Hammer Group/Oh Yeah plus Jerry Goodman & Jan Hammer - Like Children

I bought an old record player that plays 78's and has RCA outputs. Now I can transfer old 78's! Lookout Ebay!!

mandocrucian
Nov-26-2005, 11:54pm
Hey Niles, I did this one too. I even scanned the cover to make the CD look more, well, cd' like!

Reconstituting the CD card can be a chore.#I like to have all the track listings, plus personnel on it (and not have to go dig out the LP jacket). #For this I usually go to Half.com (http//:www.half.com) and do a search for the particular disc, and then copy/paste the track list into a Word CD booklet template. Half.com usually lists the personel as well, so I don't have to manually type all that stuff in.

For the cover scan, Amazon has more high rez jpgs. And Amazon.Deutchland (http://www.amazon.de) will have the bigger photos more often than the USA site. There's also AllMusic (http//www.allmusic.com), but these are smaller in size and will get fuzzy if enlarged to 4.75"x4.75", but are ok for 2.2" square (i.e. two albums on one disc).

But there are some other sites that are good for covers, and disc info, especially if the CD version is out-of-print or the LP was never put out on CD.
For Brit folk-rock... #Reinhard Zierke's (Mostly) English Folk Music Website (http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~zierke/folk/records/)

I use this site often: Soft Shoes Music Matters Page (http://www.softshoe-slim.com/) #Great for idle browsing too.#

and sometimes #Album Cover Art Gallery (http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/coverart.html)

NH

jefflester
Nov-28-2005, 7:03pm
This was just re-released on CD earlier this year. The "Complete Go Sessions" includes both studio albums and the live album on 2 discs. Import priced, though.
"Complete Go Sessions" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0008FHP46/qid=1133221298/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-2909022-6544917?v=glance&s=music)

mandocrucian
Nov-30-2005, 5:26pm
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>more (Nov 30).....

Wynonie Harris: Good Rockin' Blues
The Kinks: Something Else; Village Green Preservation Society, Arthur
Led Zeppelin: In Through The Out Door
Love: Four Sail; Revisited; False Start
The Move: The Best of The Move (A&M)
Jack Scott: The Legendary Jack Scott; Jack Scott on 'Groove'
various: ATOMIC CAFE: Radioactive Rock 'N Roll, Blues, Country & Gospel (soundtrack)
various: Sun Rockabilly - The Classic Recordings
various: Starday-Dixie Rockabillies, Vol. 2
various : 6 Days On The Road - 6 Trucker Stars
Velvet Underground: The Velvet Underground and Nico; WhiteLight/White Heat; Loaded
Gene Vincent: Gene Vincent and His Blue Caps</span></span>