PDA

View Full Version : New Heiden 2 point mando at IBMA

jmilano
Nov-02-2005, 11:30pm
Here is the new Heiden two point mando that was unveiled at IBMA. It sounds as great as it looks, very sexy new mando from Michael. This baby is only days old and really made the rounds at IBMA. Thanks Michael for getting it there, you made one thirteen year old ridiculously happy.

jmilano
Nov-02-2005, 11:57pm
Here's a detail shot.

jmilano
Nov-03-2005, 12:00am
The first look!

jmilano
Nov-03-2005, 12:01am
Love at first sight.

BlueMountain
Nov-03-2005, 10:42am
Is this Bryce's new mandolin or was he just happy playing it? It's a beauty.

jmilano
Nov-03-2005, 11:40am
Yea, this is Bryce's new mando but it is a prototype and Michael is going to make a few changes on the final version. It is #M-01 for Milano. Bryce worked with Michael on the design and it sounds like it will be a standard to the Heiden instrument family.

craigmurray
Nov-07-2005, 3:12pm
I am suprised that this mandolin hasn't recieved a bit more attention here. It is a beautiful and unique instrument. I love the large point. #It looks like the scroll has simply been unwound. Bryce, you are a lucky guy. You must be in heaven with all of the new high quality instuments that you brought home from IBMA. I would love to know more about this one. Is it Engelmann? I am sure that lots of members played this at IBMA. #What were your impressions?

WireBoy
Nov-07-2005, 3:55pm
I agree. it needs a bit more fanfare here on the cafe. it looks like a Rigel CT-100 with flat sides and pointy points not rounded.

jefflester
Nov-07-2005, 7:22pm
Very nice. Any more imbalance on the horns (bigger upper, smaller lower) and it would look like a Harmony batwing.

jmilano
Nov-07-2005, 11:07pm
You are right, it's Englemann on top, quarter sawn to show all the grain. Bryce really loves the way the wood grain came through. I'm not that knowledgable about all this stuff, I think they are called median rays, which really come out on the top and in the recurve. If I got it wrong, someone out there can correct me, I'm just a mando dad, not a luthier or player, just a fan.

I know everyone who I saw play it was very impressed, even those who might have wished it wasn't so nice. It got the once over from quite a few builders for sure. I think it's good to have mutual admiration and a little friendly competition.

Best,
Joseph

jmilano
Nov-07-2005, 11:13pm
This might be a better shot.
J

craigmurray
Nov-08-2005, 7:46am
Hey Joseph
Here is a link to a thread on medullary rays (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=27057;hl=medulary+rays; st=0) that I started after I got my new Heiden with an Engelmann top. #Many knowledgable people chimed in to explain what causes the silking effect. #I am sure that the wood on my new mandolin is similar to Bryces. #It makes for a beautiful instrument no doubt.
Craig

AlanN
Nov-08-2005, 7:54am
It's a beauty. 22 frets, just what I like. Where do you strap it?

jmilano
Nov-08-2005, 10:14am
Hey Craig,

Thanks, I knew someone would give me the right info. I just try to remember what people tell me, and don't really understand what I'm saying. Now I can look it up and get it right.

Alan,

We did some thinking about that and we decided to put a thin strap under the fretboard and around the back. Bryce doesn't like it hanging from the headstock and we didn't want to put anything on it that got in the way. He likes to play all the way up the neck. I'll post a photo later.

Best,
Joseph

johnnymando
Nov-08-2005, 6:02pm
Joe,
We haven't met,however,I picked quite a bit with Bryce at Kaufman Kamp in 2004 and really enjoyed his enthousiasm.
Say howdy for me.
John Denniston
(Bryce would probably remember me better as T-bones friend with the Sam Bush)

troika
Nov-09-2005, 2:53am
Under the fretboard and around the back?

jmilano
Nov-09-2005, 11:50am
Here is a photo of the strap. I've seen people do this with A style mandolins.

J

jmilano
Nov-09-2005, 11:56am
Hey Johnnymando,

Yea, Bryce remembers you and T-Bone. He had a blast at Kaufman. I wanted to get him there this past summer but time got tight, too much goes on in the summer. Maybe this next year I'll be able to get him there. He says hello and hi to T-Bone.

Take care,
J

Todd
Nov-10-2005, 12:58pm
jmilano

Where did Bryce get that strap, it would work great for A mandolins.

Cheers
Todd

jmilano
Nov-10-2005, 1:55pm
Todd,

Bryce got it from Greg Boyd's booth at IBMA. Nice straps, we had to modify it for the smaller player, but other than that it's great.

Best,
Joseph