PDA

View Full Version : ancient aires and graces

billkilpatrick
Mar-21-2004, 8:09am
i have an interest in playing early (medieval/renaissance) dance music and am looking for any lesser known tunes of this kind that might be surviving quite happily, thank you, in the cape breton, quebecois, "new world" repertoire - ancient jigs, estampie, gaillardes, etc. etc. in particular.

i wouldn't presume to ask you for a great deal of research. i can do that - and am doing it - myself. but if something springs to mind, i would appreciate any of your suggestions.

grazie - bill

Strathspey
Mar-21-2004, 10:43am
I'd recommend listening to Puirt a Baroque (http://www.dungreenmusic.com/PaB/PaB.html), which features David Greenberg - an American-born, Halifax-based baroque violinist/Cape Breton fiddler. Greenberg played with Tafelmusic, a Toronto-based baroque orchestra. His Cape Breton-style playing is predominantly influenced by Mabou Coal Mines players, which is exceedingly rich and "old-style."

Greenberg also has published a collection of Cape Breton tunes along with his wife, Kate Dunlay, called "The Dungreen Collection." It is scheduled to be reprinted this spring.

All details should be available through the link above.

Matt