PDA

View Full Version : minneapolis area jams/players

hedding
Nov-02-2005, 2:38pm
looking for people to play with in the minneapolis area....beginner/intermediate bluegrass/oldtime, anything acoustic really.

Bill James
Nov-02-2005, 2:54pm
Homestead Picking Parlor in Richfield. Beginner Bluegrass 2nd and 4th Tues of the month 7:00 to 9:00. I believe the intermediate is the 1st and 3rd Wens.

Joe F
Nov-02-2005, 4:05pm
I'll echo Bill's recommendation of the 2nd and 4th Tuesday Beginning Bluegrass jams at the Homestead Pickin' Parlor. #Those jams are led by a guy who calls out chords and keeps the thing from descending into total chaos. #It's a lot of fun, and a great place to start if you don't have a lot of jam experience. #The Wednesday intermediate jams are hit or miss; the number of people who show up vary from zero to 5 or 6. #With summer over, maybe those will start becoming active again. They also have an advanced BG jam every Saturday at 3 PM.

For old-timey music, there are two very good jams every weekend. #Saturday mornings, around 10 AM, go to the Village Blend in St. Anthony, in the shopping center near the intersection of St. Anthony Blvd. and New Brighton Blvd. #MapQuest "2900 Pentagon Drive NE" for the exact location. #On Sundays, a similar jam takes place at Columbia Grounds, 33rd and Central in NE Minneapolis. #Both can be fairly large, with a lot of good tunes and a number of talented fiddlers leading the pace.

Fred Keller
Nov-03-2005, 9:48am
Check out www.bluegrassforum.com. This site has been responsible for getting 2 or 3 jams going in the Minneapolis (and greater Minnesota) area. It's a great way to stay abreast of local happenings. You get one started in the northern suburbs and I'll try and come (I live halfway to Duluth) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .

Joe F
Nov-03-2005, 11:35am
Another jam that is just getting started is an acoustic/BG jam on the 2nd Tuesday of the month, 7 PM, at the House of Mercy Church in downtown St. Paul (9th and Wacouta Streets). #I was there last month (it has only met twice so far), and I plan to be there next Tuesday. #It seems to have a lot of potential.

hedding
Nov-03-2005, 9:46pm
yea i take lessons at the pickin' parlor, i think its really great what they're doing over there. does anyone know how beginner the beginner bluegrass jam is? I mean....i've been playing for a couple months, know plenty of chords and can keep basic rhythm and could probably take some breaks if the speed isn't outrageous. would you say i am qualified?

p.s. i am also looking for people to just to get together and play casually outside of either a store or whatever that are looking for some fun and to take their playing to the next level.

Bill James
Nov-04-2005, 9:57am
Mike,
You'll fit right in!

Joe F
Nov-04-2005, 11:25am
The Homestead Beginning BG jam would be a perfect place to start. The people who show up range from absolute beginners to people who have been playing for years. Gene, the leader, keeps things running smoothly. He encourages everybody to try a break, but if you don't feel up to it, there's no pressure. His philosophy is that if you try a break, and crash and burn, it's all part of the learning process and is something everybody has gone through. (Some of us still go through it regularly).

hedding
Nov-04-2005, 1:50pm
man you guys are really helpful, excactly what I was looking for thanks again.

keep on pickin' http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif