PDA

View Full Version : A Tribute to Jimmy Martin: The King of Bluegrass,

GVD
Nov-01-2005, 9:58am
All this talk on the IBMA thread about Jimmy Martin's F4 got me to thinking about getting some more of Jimmy's music. Carl Jackson did such a good job with the Louvin Brothers tribute album "Livin', Lovin' Losin': Songs of the Louvin Brothers" I was wondering how the King of Bluegrass tribute turned out.

GVD

Tim Saxton
Nov-01-2005, 10:40am
I love it. Audie Blaylock's vocals are great. The songs that Paul Williams sings and picks are fantasatic. Classic Williams. It's a great recording.

However.......there is a drum track on nearly every track. Too me this takes away from the mandolin. Other than that it's a must have.

bsimmers
Nov-01-2005, 2:56pm
Great dvd. Everyone should have this one. Great entertainment. You'll be a Jimmy Martin fan when you're finished watching. You'll be glad you didn't work for him, but you'll be a fan.

swampstomper
Nov-02-2005, 1:27pm
Dave Freeman (County Sales) gave it an excellent review, but then said something like "there's only one thing missing and that's Jimmy". Why get the tribute when the original is easily available? Unlike some of Monroe's earlier stuff the production quality on Jimmy's classic Decca sides was pretty good and still sounds fine.

You can hear a modern artist like Marty Rabon do a Jimmy classic like Prayer Bells of Heaven and my reactions are (in order):
1 -- what a great song!
2 -- what a great arrangement!
3 -- what a great singer, what great pickers...
4 -- I'm going to go back and listen to Jimmy do it right!!

doc holiday
Nov-02-2005, 2:48pm
One of the collections that spins most often on my CD player is the Bear Family Jimmy Martin boxset. I am really happy to have seen the King of Bluegrass live and in person.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Doc

Moose
Nov-02-2005, 4:21pm
"Long live the King"!! - an' he is...., an' he will.. ain't he!? - Thanks for the great music. RIP Mr. Martin.

TThorpe
Nov-13-2005, 9:30am
I was at IBMA and had the pleasure of hearing J.D.Crowe, Paul Williams and the Jimmy Martin Tribute Band perform. What a great performance and respectful tribute to Jimmy. I wished, though, that IBMA had done a memorial piece for him and Vassar at the Awards Show in the Ryman. There was no mention of Vassar at all - what an oversight. I know it's tough coordinating one of these events, but Vassar helped start this resurgance of bluegrass with a new generation. I also met and talked with Paul Williams after the show. He's a true professional with a great voice and mandolin. Does anyone know what year that Gibson is? It's a beautiful Fern, I think.

GVD
Nov-14-2005, 8:44am
I wished, though, that IBMA had done a memorial piece for him and Vassar at the Awards Show in the Ryman. #There was no mention of Vassar at all - what an oversight.

Wow I had heard the awards show was pretty ineptly produced but that's inexcusable.

GVD

f5loar
Nov-14-2005, 12:12pm
If you want Jimmy just get the Bear Family box set and get it all! Sure there are drums on every track but then if you listen closely to Monroe,Flatt&Scruggs,Osborne Bros,
and Jim&Jesse I think you'll hear drums too. Don't knock a nice snare drum in bluegrass until you've played on stage with one. Makes your mandolin chop so easy and the rhythm keeps ticking on when you take your break. If the truth be known if every bluegrass band could afford a drummer they would want one. Not many could carry another person to just sit there and tap tap tap. There was a time in the 70's during the peak of festivals that Jimmy and the Osbornes carried a drummer boy.

RichieK
Nov-14-2005, 9:21pm
Tom,
I remember those days! J.D. Crowe also featured a drummer for one festival season. #Anyone remember the band "Bluegrass Incorporated" in Georgia back then? They had a drummer who was the lead singer and they were really good! Excellent mandolin player who's nickname was 'Jughead'.

Richie

JimRichter
Nov-15-2005, 8:24am
I was very saddened that this CD didn't get recorded event of the year at this year's IBMA's. In fact I was very saddened that the official IBMA awards ceremony did nothing special to honor Jimmy Martin.

Fantastic CD and highly recommended. It's Widowmakin' material.

Jim

GVD
Nov-15-2005, 8:49am
Jim, Your taste in music is impeccable so if you recommend it I know it's worth buying!

Thanks,
GVD