PDA

View Full Version : Gilchrist Mandolin

Greg Saer
Mar-20-2004, 8:07pm
Hi,

I thought I'd share a picture I took of Greg's mandolin.

-mona-

AlanN
Mar-20-2004, 8:09pm
a big OUCH!

Bob DeVellis
Mar-20-2004, 9:31pm
Great picture!

Greg Saer
Mar-20-2004, 9:37pm
Thanks, Bob! Here's a black and white version http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
-mona-

Mar-20-2004, 11:28pm
Doesn't get much better than that....

Dennis Benjamin
Pavel Sucek Mandolins

mandoJeremy
Mar-20-2004, 11:54pm
I want a Hilburn!

grsnovi
Mar-21-2004, 12:06am
I realize that "serious" photographs are "supposed" to be B&W, but when I saw you first image, I thought: "what a good looking mandolin and what a GREAT photograph!"

I still like the color version better - the warmth of the brown tones as contrasted by the complete dark background.

Suitable for framing!

Billy Mack
Mar-21-2004, 5:53am
That is a beautiful photo. Any tips on getting that good of image? (assuming there is good subject matter)

Bob DeVellis
Mar-21-2004, 9:33am
Did you light it with a soft box? The light is nice and even with highlights in the re-curve that model the shape but not a lot of nasty unwanted reflections. That effect is hard to get on a shiny, curved-surface instrument. Very, very nice. The black background works beautifully, especially in the color image.

Greg Saer
Mar-21-2004, 12:41pm
Thank you for the kind words.

This was taken with a Nikon D100 using natural light from window left. I set the camera against a black couch. Just gave it a very slight levels adjustment in PS7 to warm up the tones a notch. One tip would be try filling up the frame with your subject, and you don't have to get the whole piece in the picture. Just try to nail a good composition in camera. Hope this helps.:;):

Greg Saer
Mar-21-2004, 12:42pm
Bob, I don't have a softbox yet... maybe Greg will get me one heee heeee.

-mona-

John Ely
Mar-22-2004, 9:39am
That is a wonderful picture. I was thinking of using it as wallpaper for my computer, but the picture size limits here don't allow a big enough file to make good full screen wallpaper out of it. Is there any chance you might have a better version of that file you'd be willing to e-mail me? Thanks so much.

phynie
Mar-22-2004, 10:39am
I also would love a bigger copy if you have one. I had already set this as my background even though some quality was lost when I blew it up. This is a FANTASTIC picture! And a fantastic mandolin I'm sure! thanks!

Bob DeVellis
Mar-22-2004, 4:02pm
At one time, I think there was a wallpaper collection somewhere in the cafe archives. If it's not there anymore, it might be a worthwhile thing to re-establish. I have a buch of shots and a wallpaper changer so that every 15 minutes or so, a new image pops up as my desktop background. I bet others have great images, too. Maybe a collection could be compiled and sold for a modest price on CD-ROM as a way of raising money for mandolin-related worthy causes like the symposium scholarship. The wallpaper changer, as I recall, is freeware and the owner allows distribution with no restrictions as long as the program isn't altered and he's credited. I'd be happy to contribute some images if anybody's game.

levin4now
Mar-22-2004, 10:19pm
Holy moly. What a mandolin. Sometimes I see a mando on here, and I gasp. A few of Hilburn's latest did it for me. So does this one. I love this style of mando. Is this a new one? A Gilchrist? What kind of dough and how many years do I have to save up for one of these?

Alan

PS Yes, a nice picture as well.